PDA

View Full Version : The IPT night -- my take from being there

frankncali
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
So I was lucky enough to be in the audience for the IPT LIVE night.

Here is my review

I give a big thank you to the IPT for having these and for inviting some
of us to be in the crowd. I really enjoyed seeing the players play and seeing friends and meeting new ones.

First the bad since its pretty short.
At first it was kind of unorganized and just odd. They had allof us meet in the back of a parking lot where ONE EZ-UP was located. We milled around there while they brought out some water and sandwiches. There were 3 chairs and one folding table. The water was not cold nor had it ever been cold. While the gesture and sandwiches were good it seemed poorly executed. Water was sitting on the ground in the cases and food on the table. The table didnt even have a table cloth.
MY thought was that the IPT had always completed everything first class and this may be wonder about the rest of the night.
Inside we went in and got seated. Whoever had the bleacher idea should know better. It was supposed to last 5-6 hours at least and to bunch everyone up tightly under the studio lights on the hard bench seats didnt set the mood.
Thats really all the bad. NOt much and definitely not earth shattering.

The good
I enjoyed seeing both matches and feel that both Oliver and Austin never got going. In all honesty if Austin had played to his level the score would have been much much different had Efren kept coming up dry on the break.
Efren made a few amazing shots. Not sure how it looked on camera. IMO
he missed at least one ball on purpose and he was not into the match as much with Austin struggling.
Efren was also the benefactor of several good rolls. It was discussed afterwards and I asked him about a couple shots. He agreed and said that he felt Austin was very nervous.
I can't blame Austin for taking the match. No one in their right mind would turn it down. What I was amazed was at his lack of knowledge playing 8 ball. Just watching the differences between the two in terms of breakouts, ball choices, timing/direction of breakout and patterns it was a
clinic.
Austin plays much better than what he showed as does Oliver. The first ball the OO missed was a fairly easy shot. He seemed to have speed issues as well and almost seemed in a hurry.
It has to be a HUGE difference to play in that setting with the cameras, breaks, audience and roaming camera man over every shot.
My hat is off to all the players for handling the situations very well and
dignified. They mingled with people afterwards and Efren even would come down into the stands and sit during breaks.

All in all I hope it came across well over the net. It was interesting and fun experience even with some negatives.
The local pool scene was well represented and that was nice to see. There were alot of very good players in the crowd as well as a couple celebrities.
Rodney, Corey, Tang Ho, Ernesto, Oscar, Danny P, Sean L, OMGWTF and several others (sorry if I forgot someone) from the pool world.
Joe Rogan, Mark Kendall ( muscian and pool player) and another actor that I couldnt remember his name were there.

Good times and a big thanks to the IPT and the players. Hopefully they will continue to put these matches on and allow us to watch good players for FREE.

beetle
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the writeup. I thought the streaming was excellent with no issues. I think that camera man lining up behind every pocket must have been challenging to deal with, but it gave us some great views online.

It really is depressing to see how the IPT went from a first class 4 star affair to a simple, almost no-frills operation. I hope they regain their stature, pick up some huge endorsements, and start throwing some gigantic tournaments again.

dabarbr
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info from someone on the other side of the camera. I only got a chance to see the straight pool match and it was very entertaining. I thought John might go 125 and out and believe he missed what I thought was a routine shot for him. Maybe difficult for others but not for him. Was this upstairs at Hollywood? Did they bring in a Diamond table for this event?

frankncali
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the writeup. I thought the streaming was excellent with no issues. I think that camera man lining up behind every pocket must have been challenging to deal with, but it gave us some great views online.

It really is depressing to see how the IPT went from a first class 4 star affair to a simple, almost no-frills operation. I hope they regain their stature, pick up some huge endorsements, and start throwing some gigantic tournaments again.

Glad to hear it came off well on the net. the camera guy would move alot during shots and kind of hurry to get to where the shot was going. Easily bothersome if not used to it. Several times the players had to adjust to get by him or move the camera cable to take their stances.

Was the camera guy in many shots?? Looking at the monitors there it appeared that the camera guy got major TV time.

As for the IPT I really can't figure out why they are doing these. It couldn't have been cheap and even if its a plug for KT books it was an expensive and IMO wouldnt reach a huge targeted audience.
Thanks to them anyway and I hope they keep having them.

frankncali
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info from someone on the other side of the camera. I only got a chance to see the straight pool match and it was very entertaining. I thought John might go 125 and out and believe he missed what I thought was a routine shot for him. Maybe difficult for others but not for him. Was this upstairs at Hollywood? Did they bring in a Diamond table for this event?

It was in a studio over in Studio City. The shot that John missed wasnt that easy but not impossible either. He made a couple other harder ones earlier. To my untrained eye I thought he played the game very well and I got alot from it. He was vocal throughout his shots and would say and point to things he did wrong, right and bring attention to some fortunate things. Several times he would breakout a shot or have a break shot and say what the intended result might have been. Example -- breaking them out from this side with this english you really are taking your chances and have to hope for a good shot.
I also thought that his speed on his breakouts was very good. Others might have tried to pound them. He broke them apart firmly but never really hard.

Looked like the interviews took place earlier at Hollywood.

LAMas
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Where was this match at?
Thanks.

jay helfert
04-30-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm very hurt and disappointed that I wasn't invited. ;)

Just for that, I won't invite Trudough or Dumbo to Hollywood Billiards for my next tournament there. Too bad! :p

powerlineman80
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
My only gripe is they dont have a full screen option. I was going to S-Video my laptop to my LCD TV but there was no full screen option that I knew of. Of course they done that to show the sponsors and ads of course which I can understand.

You could tell Efren played around with Austin some when Austin was struggling. I dont think Efren wanted to embarass the kid to the point he crushed him, I think Reyes himself wanted to give the kid some confidence. Austin will get better (he is already not bad) with time and I can understand his shaky play considering it was his first time on a big stage and was playing pool's best player ever. I'm 28 and probably would have freaked out or couldnt shoot because I'd be shaking so bad but after a few racks he seemed to shake that off. All in all I thought it was great and I'm glad to see the IPT trying other games. I would love to see Efren and Sigel play straight pool or even see some ring games on there. Wouldnt mind seeing some one pocket too.