PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on elk master tips

penoy78
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Okay so I'm sure that some of us watched the IPT match last night and there was a segment where they asked Efren what equipment he used. One of the things he said was the elk master tip. I've been using snipers for some time now and the sniper seems to just glaze over and cause many miscues. I was thinking of switching to the kamui's but I figure hey, the elk master is a cheap tip and I have several shafts to give it a try. So here's my question(s):

1) How do they hold up? How long have you had them since they "mushroomed" on you?

2) Do they hold chaulk well as compared to other laminated tips?

JoeyA
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Okay so I'm sure that some of us watched the IPT match last night and there was a segment where they asked Efren what equipment he used. One of the things he said was the elk master tip. I've been using snipers for some time now and the sniper seems to just glaze over and cause many miscues. I was thinking of switching to the kamui's but I figure hey, the elk master is a cheap tip and I have several shafts to give it a try. So here's my question(s):

1) How do they hold up? How long have you had them since they "mushroomed" on you?

I use compressed ElkMaster tips. I compress them myself. So far no problems. Been playing with them for a year or so.

If I have problems chalking a tip, I normally look for another piece of chalk. Where I'm from, the humidity can get into the chalk and cause chalking problems.

Seldom miscue except when I am playing a fish. :D
JoeyA

Randy9Ball
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Pinoy - I love em! However, Elks are not laminated as your number (2) implies. They are single layer tips.

I agre with JoeyA on the humidity factor. Have the same problem here in Florida.

Fatboy
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
they are all I have used the last 6 months, I havent been playing much but they are better than all the fancy stuff. I havent had mine mushroom yet, i break with it too but not real hard, but i'm sure it will.

What I will say is i'm happier with it that any tip I have had in years, back in 83 when I couldnt make 3 balls in a row I liked them, I used them until 88 when some layered tips came out, then I switched to le-pro for years but its hard to find a good one but a good le-pro is awesome but hard to find, however in my experience elk master tips are the most consistant solid playing tips I have used. I had a Kamui that was great and it lasted for years, however since then al of them I have used have sucked they get so hard, shiny etc I cant stand it. Elk master for me.

gpeezy
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Make a elk master into a milk dud and I like it. Its to soft for me before hand. It does have a good hit though.

penoy78
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's help...I think I'll go ahead and try the Elk Master. But what do you guys mean when you say to "milk dud" the tip or to compress them? How do I do those things to make the tip better.

cigardave
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for everyone's help...I think I'll go ahead and try the Elk Master. But what do you guys mean when you say to "milk dud" the tip or to compress them? How do I do those things to make the tip better.

here you go, brother... click on this... I found it searching for "milk duds" (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=90478&highlight=milk+duds)

penoy78
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Dude you are the man....I'm definitely going to try this.

td873
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM

In my experience, single layer tips are the best at the end of their life, ie, when they are thin. When new (or relatively new) they are not as consistent as layered tips. As the elks run the cycle (compacted, mushroom, shaved) a few times, they are as good as any other tip. But from new until a few cycles, they can be inconsistent. [note, almost all single layer tips will mushroom, it is not a defect, but you should keep them trimmed for playability]

If your livelihood depended on it, I would start with a layered tip. Otherwise, elk master, le pro, etc, are excellent choices for the money.

-td

rom
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
elkmaster soaked in milk then pressed, here! :) better than my moori plus it's cheap and affordable...consistent IMO once soaked n pressed...just make sure to buy the original if you're in the Philippines.

cajunbarboxplyr
04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
I tried Elk Master fer a while.......my opinion is it gets too soft over time.....Since I went to Moori's....... elk masters, le-pros and Triangles are a thing of the past for me!!!

MFB
04-30-2008, 05:46 PM

I have used a pressed elkmaster for 2 1/2 years and love them.

They hold chalk much better than laminated tips.

I use compressed ElkMaster tips. I compress them myself. So far no problems. Been playing with them for a year or so.

If I have problems chalking a tip, I normally look for another piece of chalk. Where I'm from, the humidity can get into the chalk and cause chalking problems.

JoeyA

Which has nothing to do with an elkmaster. I keep chalk in a baggie when I am not playing, and it keeps the moisture out.

Klopek
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM

penoy78
04-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm heading to home depot tomorrow to grab me a 2.5 inch C-clamp. I guess the consensus is that you MUST compress the tip for it to be consistent. HMMMM....I wonder if Efren does that. LOL BTW..Is Soymilk ok? I'm lactose intolerant.

ragbug74
05-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I've heard of people soaking them in everything from milk to water to turpentine to mineral spirits. The ones I've tried, I've soaked in whole milk. There is a protein in milk called casein that works like a binder. I'm not sure if soy milk contains casein.

radge69
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm heading to home depot tomorrow to grab me a 2.5 inch C-clamp. I guess the consensus is that you MUST compress the tip for it to be consistent. HMMMM....I wonder if Efren does that. LOL BTW..Is Soymilk ok? I'm lactose intolerant.

Compressing them before install is the way to go with Elks. Rumor has it that efren puts them under the leg of a pool table overnight to compress them before install.

champ2107
05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
I have a pressed elk master in the waiting, soon as I get in one of those tinker moods i will take off my mori med. I could always put a lot of juice on the ball with those house cues that always had elk masters on them.

Hail Mary Shot
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
In my experience, single layer tips are the best at the end of their life, ie, when they are thin. When new (or relatively new) they are not as consistent as layered tips. As the elks run the cycle (compacted, mushroom, shaved) a few times, they are as good as any other tip. But from new until a few cycles, they can be inconsistent. [note, almost all single layer tips will mushroom, it is not a defect, but you should keep them trimmed for playability]

If your livelihood depended on it, I would start with a layered tip. Otherwise, elk master, le pro, etc, are excellent choices for the money.

-td

seems like MICHELIN tyres ! :D

Danny Kuykendal
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I compressed one about 4 months ago and have played a lot with it, and no mushrooming. I even broke with it as well, until I recently had a new break cue made.
I put it in a vise and press it a few times every five minutes or so, it doesn't take very long.
Some Elks, like Le Pro's, are naturally a little more firm than others.

catscradle
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
This thread got me wondering... Assuming that "milk duds" play better, how in the world did somebody ever try this the first time? What kind of warped mind said, "I think I'll soak this tip in milk then squeeze it in a vise, it'll probably play better"? Did somebody who was broke drop his last Elk Master in the cat's dish one night while loaded, then the next day try to squeeze the milk out of it?
Does anybody know any history on this.

n10spool
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
The best three ways I have heard for the tips to be soaked in so far were-

1. buttermilk
2. Milk
3. beer

for break tips it was triangle tips in turpintine.

Craig