PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sigel made me laugh

alstl
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I forgot about the match last night and it was already underway when I tuned in, 4-2 Efren. Sigel kept saying Efren was struggling but I only remember seeing him miss one shot in the next few games and that was a two way shot where he left the kid only a long kick shot and Efren wound up with ball in hand and ran out. When I went to bed Efren was up 9 or 10 to 2 and was running out from everywhere. Wish I could struggle like that.

SpiderWebComm
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna get flamed-torched for saying this on here, but I'm gonna come out and say I really enjoy Mike Sigel's commentary. Many people on here think he's an arrogant asshole who only talks about himself and downs people when they make errors.

I think we easily forget that Mike Sigel beat-up the planet for many decades at nearly every game - ESP 14.1. He commentates how he thinks--- playing error-free. Hopkins once told me, "NOBODY beat Sigel more than Sigel beat them."

That's a pretty heavy comment coming from an individual where only a few select people on earth can even carry his jock-strap.

I'm just saying I think we dislike his style because we might perceive him as not being able to back up his legend-talk because he got trounced by Efren in the IPT and Mike didn't really set the world on fire in the IPT. I watched Mike play nearly perfect at the world 14.1 two years ago and didn't lose a match until Danny beat him in the knock-out round (I think the score was 150-147).

I guess I'm just saying 8-ball may not be Mike's forte - he can still play 14.1 with anyone. If he pumps himself up with legend talk while commentating, one only has to look at his "scoreboard" to see he has every right to. Just my humble, minority opinion.

Thanks in advance for not flaming me.

Celtic
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Wont flame that SpiderWebComm, it is bang on. Alot of people here are far too young to remember Sigel and his dominance of pool or regret the choice he made a long time ago while at the top of the game to simply quit. The older players all know the reality of Sigel, players like Strickland, Archer, Hall, Rempe, and yes Reyes would not say half of the shit that people on this board so freely cough up. They know how good he really was and likely see his exit from the game as a loss for pool and a slight win for them as it made the last 15 years a little easier.

beetle
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I also agree with spider. Also, didn't Sigel come out of retirement several years ago and enter (and win!) a senior 9-ball tournament, after having not played for years! That also showed how dangerous he continues to be.

As far as his commentating, I think it is for the most part entertaining. You have to admit he has a unique personality.

TXsouthpaw
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
He may be a world beater yes, but is someone who alienates half ur audience really a good choice as a commentator? I don't know what KT's obsession with sigel is. I'm sure they could've got someone better for the king of the hill match white Ewa and I'm positive they could've got a more likable person to commentate.

jimmy-leggs
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I do have to agree with you somewhat Spidey.After all, Efren says Mike is the best player ever.:eek: That's gotta mean something.I just wish he would'nt come across as a pompous Ass.If you know what I mean.

av84fun
04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
No flame at all. Mike was a GREAT champion. But being a commentator is a different skill altogether and as a commentator...he needs the 6 and the break...including the fact that it took him about 20 years to figure out than Mr. Reyes's first name does not end in an "m". (-:

EfreN's only struggle was to figure out how to stall enough to prevent totally humiliating the young man.

Regards,
Jim

SpiderWebComm
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I do have to agree with you somewhat Spidey.After all, Efren says Mike is the best player ever.:eek: That's gotta mean something.I just wish he would'nt come across as a pompous Ass.If you know what I mean.

I do know what you mean. I happen to think his cocky banter is pretty funny. It's all in what you like.

Ktown D
04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna get flamed-torched for saying this on here, but I'm gonna come out and say I really enjoy Mike Sigel's commentary. Many people on here think he's an arrogant asshole who only talks about himself and downs people when they make errors.

I think we easily forget that Mike Sigel beat-up the planet for many decades at nearly every game - ESP 14.1. He commentates how he thinks--- playing error-free. Hopkins once told me, "NOBODY beat Sigel more than Sigel beat them."

That's a pretty heavy comment coming from an individual where only a few select people on earth can even carry his jock-strap.

I'm just saying I think we dislike his style because we might perceive him as not being able to back up his legend-talk because he got trounced by Efren in the IPT and Mike didn't really set the world on fire in the IPT. I watched Mike play nearly perfect at the world 14.1 two years ago and didn't lose a match until Danny beat him in the knock-out round (I think the score was 150-147).

I guess I'm just saying 8-ball may not be Mike's forte - he can still play 14.1 with anyone. If he pumps himself up with legend talk while commentating, one only has to look at his "scoreboard" to see he has every right to. Just my humble, minority opinion.

I'm right there with you. I think he makes it as interesting due to his insight and ability and he is kinda funny.

Terry Ardeno
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
..... but I'm gonna come out and say I really enjoy Mike Sigel's commentary. Many people on here think he's an arrogant asshole who only talks about himself and downs people when they make errors.

That was a pretty good post.

Just because Sigel may not be at the top of his game right now does not mean that all his knowledge of the game is also gone. He was one of our sports all time greats, so he does carries some weight when he talks pool.

He's not my favorite commentator, but after Grady, Billy & Danny D, I put him on the second & same level as Varner, Hall, Vickery & Jerry Forsyth. Personally, I like hearing commentary from the pro players while watching pool. Accu-Stats has very much spoiled me in that regard.

One more tid-bit about Sigel....Remember the story that Grady tells about Sigel making a great escape from a seemingly impossible saftey and, upon making the shot, Sigel pointed a finger at his head and said "With all this knowledge, just call me Mr N." Grady then correctly pointed out that knowledge starts with a "K".....:)

rikdee
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
including the fact that it took him about 20 years to figure out than Mr. Reyes's first name does not end in an "m". (-:

I believe Nick Varner should be similarly enlightened....

Terry Ardeno
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
including the fact that it took him about 20 years to figure out than Mr. Reyes's first name does not end in an "m". (-:

I believe Nick Varner should be similarly enlightened....

But THAT'S what makes all them unique...they each have their own idiosyncracies. How about Hopkins saying the word "Shnookered"?
Varner starting every single new sentence with "Well,...." They all have their own style and personally, I like it when they commentate just as if you they were seated next to you in the stands and just making conversation about the game.

SpiderWebComm
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
But THAT'S what makes all them unique...they each have their own idiosyncracies. How about Hopkins saying the word "Shnookered"?
Varner starting every single new sentence with "Well,...." They all have their own style and personally, I like it when they commentate just as if you they were seated next to you in the stands and just making conversation about the game.

I'll tell ya what... if you want the RIDE of your lifetime, sit behind Sigel at a tournament and act as his corner-man. He'll talk to you the way he commentates. If you see him heading to a match, grab a seat close by. You won't regret that experience.

Terry Ardeno
04-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I'll tell ya what... if you want the RIDE of your lifetime, sit behind Sigel at a tournament and act as his corner-man. He'll talk to you the way he commentates. If you see him heading to a match, grab a seat close by. You won't regret that experience.

Grady calls that much sought after position "being Sigel's YES man.":) Just keep nodding your head in approval when he's entering the second half of each paragraph spoken between shots!:)

I was honored to be Earl's "yes" man several times at Valley Forge. Once, when he was playing Evgeny Stalev, I had to time my nods just right so that Evgeny didn't see them!:eek: I like Stalev a lot and in between matches, he sat with me a few times. Between my poor Russian and his poor English, we still had a hoot! I still like Earl over Evgeny, but I don't feel comfortable rooting for either one of them when they played each other because both have always been great to me. Especially Earl, who has more than gone out of his way to be kind to me. He thanked ME for being his fan!?! To me, Earl will always be pool royalty.

Gerry
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
IF you guys like commentary, how bout this.....

bout 10 years ago I was playing in a 14.1 tourney at my home room the cue corner. I had to play Jack Calovito, and Allen Hopkins, Danny Barouti, and Mike Sigel sat table side to sweat the match.:eek: I swear I have never been so nervous EVER! While Jack would shoot they would coach me on why Jack was shooting certain patterns, and once I calmed down I ran 3 or so racks to save a little face. I lost, but I don't care who watches me now after that wrecking crew!:D

Nothing like Mr. Calovito racking and Mike, Danny and Allen waiting for me to butcher a break ball....LOL not to mention everyone you know at your home room watching.

After I lost I had to go back behind the counter to help and Jack came in for a coffee.....he said, hey, we just played?....I said yea, now I gotta work cause you busted me outta the tourney!!...he laughed...very cool guy!

pulzcul
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
After 30 minutes of Mike pimping himself and Kevin pimping his books I muted the sound and enjoyed the match. I sure wish I was Austin. Way cool to get to play Efren at 14.

justpool
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I watched sigel play alot in the 80's. With out a doubt he was the best tournament player for wins in 9ball & straight pool. However my hat goes off to Buddy hall. Was the very best all around player i am talking about the cash & tournaments, won the biggest pay outs in 9ball tournaments in the day. Buddy held up to pressure better than any player out there. He beat efren 2yrs ago at the derby. Buddy had more top finishes in tournaments than sigel. Get your old Billiard Digest out! Just ask sigel about buddy hall. :) He beat them all for the cash not to mention his string of 1hole tournaments. Buddy can play straight too just didnt care for the game. I hear he has a high run in the 300s. :)

alstl
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM

I wasn't trying to be hard on Sigel, it's just that Efren was running out from everywhere and Sigel said he was out of stroke. Maybe he was out of stroke before I started watching but he was vintage Efren for the time I watched. I enjoy Sigel's commentary and sometimes I learn from what he is saying although he does have an ego as big as Jeremiah Wright.

Fatboy
04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
its hard to commentate when its a lopsided match and you have to make it exciting, i like mike, i have spoke to him about biz a few times-never pool. He is a funny guy.

Snookerd
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
I fell out of my seat when Sigel stated " Did you see him tickle those two balls?" ... anyone else catch that?... and some of his drawings... almost as bad as Jeanette !!!!!
All in all ... pretty enjoyable match.. I wish Austin could have strung a few more .. but he showed that he can..

s0lidz
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I enjoy Mike's commentary for the most part, but I hate how he talks about himself. I don't know if it's his intention but he does come off a bit on the arrogant side when he second guesses the players (especially players like Efren).

I'm not trying to flame Mike in any way, and as I said, I enjoy his commentary. I don't doubt that Mike was the best player in the world for a while, but truly great players never need to explain how great they are.

smashmouth
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
give Mike a break, he was King for a long time and that earns him the right to speak his mind imo, now from a business standpoint, maybe he's not the best choice, but KT obviously likes the guy

and how well do ya'll think Efren pronounces Sigel's name?

mullyman
04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Some of you guys may be too young to have ever seen this and a lot of the older people may have never seen it, but my first exposure to pro players was a video my uncle gave me when I was about 14. The video was this really cheesey instructional video hosted by Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe, Larry Liscotti, and I can't remember who the 4th pro was. Someone big though. Anyway, the set up was like a tournament or something and all the guys were showing their skills and giving advice on ways to hit certain shots, play safes etc... Real cheap shit. Sigel was totally cool in that though, at least he was to a 14 year old kid. From that point forward Sigel has always been one of my favorite pros. Even if he is a big self centered egotistical ass hat. I met him in Vegas back in 99 at the BCA Expo. I was at the booth next to his and one of his friends walked up to his booth and he said "Hey, take a look at my cues. I do this better than I play pool." Big head doesn't even begin to explain him, but he'll always be one of my favorites.
MULLY
who the hell was that 4th player???????

SoundWaves
04-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I fell out of my seat when Sigel stated " Did you see him tickle those two balls?" ... anyone else catch that?...

That was his phrase of the night, he must have said it ten times. I was dying when he said it early in the strait pool match.

Fragged
04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Some of you guys may be too young to have ever seen this and a lot of the older people may have never seen it, but my first exposure to pro players was a video my uncle gave me when I was about 14. The video was this really cheesey instructional video hosted by Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe, Larry Liscotti, and I can't remember who the 4th pro was. Someone big though. Anyway, the set up was like a tournament or something and all the guys were showing their skills and giving advice on ways to hit certain shots, play safes etc... Real cheap shit. Sigel was totally cool in that though, at least he was to a 14 year old kid. From that point forward Sigel has always been one of my favorite pros. Even if he is a big self centered egotistical ass hat. I met him in Vegas back in 99 at the BCA Expo. I was at the booth next to his and one of his friends walked up to his booth and he said "Hey, take a look at my cues. I do this better than I play pool." Big head doesn't even begin to explain him, but he'll always be one of my favorites.
MULLY

Danny D? He would be the 4th if we were talking about that famous "Limo Shot".

Terry Ardeno
04-30-2008, 07:11 PM
MULLY

Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya was the 4th player in the video you mentioned that is entitled "Billiards-The Basics & The Best".

Terry Ardeno
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Danny D? He would be the 4th if we were talking about that famous "Limo Shot".

Fragged,
I think you're thinking of that famous autographed photo with that crew in front of the Rolls Royce. DiLiberto was in that photo with the other guys mentioned.

mullyman
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya was the 4th player in the video you mentioned that is entitled "Billiards-The Basics & The Best".

Yep, it was Mataya. Jesus, how did I forget that. You know, if I dig around in my closet I might still have that video in a box somewhere. Man, when I was 14 that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Sigel "Captain Hook" was cool. hehe!! And, to be honest, I've always liked the way he dresses for a tournament. Class.
MULLY
thank you for that!!

mullyman
04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Fragged,
I think you're thinking of that famous autographed photo with that crew in front of the Rolls Royce. DiLiberto was in that photo with the other guys mentioned.

If I'm not mistaken they have those for sale at billiardcue.com
MULLY

Johnnyt
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I enjoy Mike's commentary for the most part, but I hate how he talks about himself. I don't know if it's his intention but he does come off a bit on the arrogant side when he second guesses the players (especially players like Efren).

I'm not trying to flame Mike in any way, and as I said, I enjoy his commentary. I don't doubt that Mike was the best player in the world for a while, but truly great players never need to explain how great they are.
Bingo...well said. He was a great player for sure. I know Mike for years. Met him in NY in the 1970's. He was always a bit on the arragant side but nothing like he is now. Johnnyt

jay helfert
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
MULLY

I think it was Jim Mataya. He was on some of those early tapes made in Aspen. Oops, someone already answered this.

TheNewSharkster
04-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Funny.....

s0lidz
05-01-2008, 12:10 AM
The funniest comment of the night was when Efren hit that amazing safety and pinned Austin on the rail behind the 8 ball. Mike very enthusiastically yelled out "C'MON, GET A JOB!!". I LOL'd at that one.

Jimmy M.
05-01-2008, 12:24 AM

I remember something about Efren saying that Mike was his toughest opponent ever, but I don't recall ever hearing of Efren saying that Mike was "the best player ever".

JoeyInCali
05-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I remember something about Efren saying that Mike was his toughest opponent ever, but I don't recall ever hearing of Efren saying that Mike was "the best player ever".
Efren said Parica is the best player he's known ever.
Efren said he enjoyed playing against Sigel the most.

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 05:43 AM
The funniest comment of the night was when Efren hit that amazing safety and pinned Austin on the rail behind the 8 ball. Mike very enthusiastically yelled out "C'MON, GET A JOB!!". I LOL'd at that one.

... and from the rails Tang Hoa yelled, "It's 12-7 now Efren!" and that was after beating Efren getting 11-7 playing 1hole the night before!

stick8
05-01-2008, 07:25 AM

Well i for one wont ,as maby 10yr ago mike and nick were doing expo, in athens ga brass rail, and you could choose who to play for 10buck for charity, well my grandson of 7yr of age choose mike well grandpa was filming it and back and forth for couple shots and grandson had a cut shoot on 6ball and play q on 9ball as is whispired q on 9. he sank shot and crowd went wild!!!mike called him over and ask who thought you to play?? my grandad!! well you know you will not be able to get a game around here?? grandson look puzzled and as why??? mike replied because you just beat a world champion!!! great thrill for him and granpa got it on tape!!!!

Hail Mary Shot
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
can't we just all agree that Mike Sigel is the best mouth in the world of pool? honorary mention is the Pearl. I dunno but Earl might wrest it away from him if Earl keeps his antics up !

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
can't we just all agree that Mike Sigel is the best mouth in the world of pool? honorary mention is the Pearl. I dunno but Earl might wrest it away from him if Earl keeps his antics up !

Keith McCready and Scotty Townsend are also world class, but more in woofing AT opponants. :D

To be clear, I think you mean woofing FOR himself. And in that regard, I have to agree with you, Mike is in a class by himself. :)

Earl gets cranky with the morons & idiots who bait him. But he's a perfect gentleman when it comes to interacting with real fans who respect him or the game.

For the record, I like it when Sigel jaws on. He's very entertaining and as a great player, he's allowed to be proud of his great accomplishments. These great champions never did get the recognition that should have been afforded them. Hardly anyone in mainstream America could even pick him out of a crowd, and that is a shame.