PDA

View Full Version : Gambling etiquette

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you settle up after each loss, or wait until a opponent owes you for several games, or sets?

Celtic
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Smart way to do it is settle up after each set. Saves you getting air barreled half a dozen times and then not getting paid when "my bank card is not working, wtf is going on, I should have lots of money in there, I will have to owe ya and give it to ya next time".

Gerry
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
depends on whom I'm playing....

a friend....settle up when we are done.

anyone else POSTS!

Jude Rosenstock
04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
If I'm playing in my home room against another regular, we will settle at the end of the session. Oftentimes, I'll even say I may need to go to a bank since I never carry lots of cash.

If I'm playing a non-regular and the stakes are significant, I will expect payment after each set. I may even request the stakes are posted prior to the start of the match.

9Ball_JJ
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
If I'm playing someone that I know then I'll just settle up after the match is over. If it's someone else, usually after each set or even have them post up.

TXsouthpaw
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
If I'm playing in my home room against another regular, we will settle at the end of the session. Oftentimes, I'll even say I may need to go to a bank since I never carry lots of cash.

If I'm playing a non-regular and the stakes are significant, I will expect payment after each set. I may even request the stakes are posted prior to the start of the match.

Same here. I pretty much gamble with the same people all the time so mostly its settle up at the end.

Jude Rosenstock
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Same here. I pretty much gamble with the same people all the time so mostly its settle up at the end.

Yes. A perfect example - yesterday I played a guy from Europe. He only wanted to play for $20 race to 5. I saw no purpose in making it into a big deal. He paid but had he not, I wouldn't have cared. I saw no risk in having him settle at the end. If he wanted to play for $100 or more, I probably would have asked him to post the money in the light.

av84fun
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Do you settle up after each loss, or wait until a opponent owes you for several games, or sets?

As several others have said, if you know the guy then after the session is fine. But new guys or large stakes, if you don't post in advance, you are asking to get air barrelled and WILL be.

And it's easy! Just put YOUR money on the light first like it was the most natural thing in the world. You don't even have to say anything...just make sure he sees you do it.

Ditto with racking. If you lose the flip/lag and rack first, take the rack off but just stand there as though you EXPECT him to check your rack.

If he racks first, just say that you always check racks and you SHOULD check them all....especially in shorter races.

Ain't it funny how often you get a plug rack when you're ahead 5-3 in a race to 7!!! (-:

Hill-3 with the break is a WHOLE lot worse deal for the opponent than 4-5 his break!!!

(-:

Jim

mikepage
04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Yes. A perfect example - yesterday I played a guy from Europe. He only wanted to play for $20 race to 5. I saw no purpose in making it into a big deal. He paid but had he not, I wouldn't have cared. I saw no risk in having him settle at the end. If he wanted to play for $100 or more, I probably would have asked him to post the money in the light.

That makes sense.

But here's something to think about. In a situation where you "kind of" "mostly" "more-or-less" trust your opponent--perhaps a stranger who SEEMS like a reasonably guy, it is MUCH more comfortable to settle these things early.

The problem is that trust tends to fade slowly, and when it first starts to diminish, it still seems kinda rude to require something that essentially challenges the other guy's integrity.

Some solutions:

--accept the risk, as Jude did.

--say in a matter-of-fact voice at the outset, "OK, race to 5 for twenty. Just pay after each set?" It's early enough that it sounds more like administrative details than character judgment.

--If you're playing by the game, where it's awkward to pay after each game but you nevertheless might start getting nervous once your coin takes a lap around the table, just say, "OK, 10 a game and pay at 5 games?"
This is not the same as freezing up $50 or playing five ahead because there's no commitment. The losing player may pay $30 and walk away when he's down three if he chooses. But it helps avoid "situations."

LeagueShirts
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I made a shirt design for you...hahaha

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/jeff_atx/postup_shirt.png

traa89
04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
"I make my mom post"
-big nasty

I agree with Jude and the rest of the crowd. If you know them or its small, its fine with me. Otherwise, lets bet it up and post! haha

Snapshot9
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I do what pretty much everyone else does. I don't play by the game except on a challenge table, and its pay after each game there.

Playing sets, it depends - if a reliable no-money-problems friend, then just pay when done, otherwise pay after each set.

League - I like that shirt. I would buy it.

Eric Wynne
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
POST TOASTIES !!!:cool:

Lonestar_jim
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
If I'm playing someone that I know then I'll just settle up after the match is over. If it's someone else, usually after each set or even have them post up.

I thought you played for practice only. :eek:

desert1pocket
04-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Unknown players or players who have stiffed me in the past need to post up, everyone else pays at the end of each game/set.

In your case I don't think it matters much though, 'cause even if they stiff you 8 games you're only out $2.

kobyp
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
as a young gun, that just started getting some recognition around my home town, I was surprised that the older players did not make me post when I first showed up on the scene to gamble with them...

I still haven't fired any air at anyone, I don't have that much confidence that I'm guaranteed to win to start doing that.

We don't get too many new faces wondering in very often, but when they do, I've noticed that they usually settle after every game..

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Smart way to do it is settle up after each set. Saves you getting air barreled half a dozen times and then not getting paid when "my bank card is not working, wtf is going on, I should have lots of money in there, I will have to owe ya and give it to ya next time".

Better to be safe, than out money won.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/bowdown.gif

TX Poolnut
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
depends on whom I'm playing....

a friend....settle up when we are done.

anyone else POSTS!

DING DING! We have a winner.

Rod
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
In your case I don't think it matters much though, 'cause even if they stiff you 8 games you're only out $2.

Now thats funny! I wonder why he even started this thread.

12squared
04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree with the friendly regulars paying after the session, but it's not always the best thing to do. 2 regulars were playing 1-pocket very friendly - a few hours pass, much alcohol, bet raised to $500/game (of course no posting or paying after each game) because there is no way the one could keep winning. One guy wins $1500, gets paid $200 and we haven't seen the other "regular" since. It's been over three months.

The result was the two friends don't speak to each other, and someone who regularly spent an average of at least $150/week in the poolroom stopped coming in, hurting the room owner and, its one less person to match up with at our room. Not a win/win by any means. So there are times when posting or paying after every game makes sense among friends. If this happened, the set wouldn't have gotten out of hand and everything would remain the same.

So, if it's friendly and remains so, do what you want. But if the bet gets raised beyond your normal bet, pay after every game/set to protect your friendship and keep everyone playing. Available games are thinning out on their own, they don't need any help.

By the way this same thing for much smaller stakes has happened many times in the past in California.

Dave

Bad Company
04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Why do you ask these questions if it's never gonna benefit you. You try and act like a pool player but your nothing more than a rail bird. Normally I dont post, just read but I cant take it anymore. You have to find something better to do with your time. Please don't respond because I hate typing. You want to help your game???? BET SOMETHING!

Fatboy
05-01-2008, 01:05 PM
POST TOASTIES !!!:cool:

awalys and when you come back from the bathroom make sure if the same amount of $$ is on the light that was posted if your alone. Funny things can happen when you leave the stake in a joint you arnt known in.

Bigtruck
05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Why do you ask these questions if it's never gonna benefit you. You try and act like a pool player but your nothing more than a rail bird. Normally I dont post, just read but I cant take it anymore. You have to find something better to do with your time. Please don't respond because I hate typing. You want to help your game???? BET SOMETHING!

We have a guy who is almost always at the pool hall, never plays,and knows everything about everything. Some railbirds simply love the game but can't play. I don't see anything wrong with it. All sports have these types. It part of it.

What kills me is when they sit on the rail and run their mouth when your in action! Posting here though, don't let it bother you.

Ray

rackem
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
We have a guy who is almost always at the pool hall, never plays,and knows everything about everything. Some railbirds simply love the game but can't play. I don't see anything wrong with it. All sports have these types. It part of it.

What kills me is when they sit on the rail and run their mouth when your in action! Posting here though, don't let it bother you.

Ray
Yeah, "But it is like a nightmare. It gets worse and worse." :eek: :D

CocoboloCowboy
05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Now thats funny! I wonder why he even started this thread.

If you have to know I will tell you.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/bowdown.gif

Last Monday I was waiting for enough to show up for a tournament at a small bar that did not happen because only 3 showed up.

The other two guys who were waiting like me decided to play 9 ball, race to 5, for I think $10.00/Set.

One guy got out in front of the other maybe 4, or 5 sets, and no money change hands when I finish my Ice Tea, and left for home.

I wondered what the etiquette was for payment, had it been me I would have wanted money changing hand after each set was won.