PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Doubles

Snorks
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone else seem to play better in a scotch doubles format then they do when playing by yourself? I'm trying to figure out what is so different? I actually had a long set of things below but deleted to get unbiased opinions on what to do to improve when playing singles.

mikepage
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Does anyone else seem to play better in a scotch doubles format then they do when playing by yourself? I'm trying to figure out what is so different? I actually had a long set of things below but deleted to get unbiased opinions on what to do to improve when playing singles.

We play a lot of scotch doubles here. My experience is many C and B players play better in a scotch doubles format. It seems there are a lot of players that when when playing position for themselves will be a little sloppy (i.e. I just need to get to the center of the table), while if they're playing position for a partner will walk around and make sure they get the right angle on the next ball.

Zallus
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
We play a lot of scotch doubles here. My experience is many C and B players play better in a scotch doubles format. It seems there are a lot of players that when when playing position for themselves will be a little sloppy (i.e. I just need to get to the center of the table), while if they're playing position for a partner will walk around and make sure they get the right angle on the next ball.

I also agree with what mikepage said. I think one of the major flaws in C/B players games is there mental approach. Not having to shoot every shot allows you to mentally focus more on what is going on.

I know alot of C/B players that can make every shot its just that they beat themselves most of the time. Having another player relying on you to pot the ball and get a good angle keeps your mind involved, so you are less likely to beat yourself mentally.

BRKNRUN
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I kinda sorta agree with MikePage but not quite.

What I think happens is the weaker player pockets a ball and gets a little out of line....the stronger player shoots them back in line....repeat until the last shot.

It seems the weaker player is playing better becuase they are shooting more easier shots than they normally would be shooting.

plshrk22
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I HATE Scotch Doubles...

cigardave
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I HATE Scotch Doubles...
REALLY????

It's a great game for a little cash when you have four evenly matched players. We used to play it all the time.... playing short sets (5 games for $20?)... and then switching partners for the next set until every player shot with every other player.

Pushout
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I HATE Scotch Doubles...

Ditto!!!!!!!!!

TXsouthpaw
04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
i agree with some of the above posts. People (me) tend to get sloppy when theyre playing solo, but when it comes to leaving ur teamate good u tend to focus more. And having a better player on ur team helps cause they can get u back in line if need be, or u can get ur teamate back in line.

dogginda9
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I LOVE scotch doubles!!! It is a nice change of pace sometimes. I wish there were more tournaments to go to throughout the year instead of just Vegas.

TheNewSharkster
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
I think it helps people play better because you try more to not screw your partner. In regular doubles if you miss your position you have to deal with it. If you screw your partner it seems worse. So in the end the lower skilled players are more aware of where they position the cue ball.

Da Poet
05-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I kinda sorta agree with MikePage but not quite.

What I think happens is the weaker player pockets a ball and gets a little out of line....the stronger player shoots them back in line....repeat until the last shot.

It seems the weaker player is playing better becuase they are shooting more easier shots than they normally would be shooting.

This makes sense.

The only thing I would add is that probably two heads are better than one. :D

ridewiththewind
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
I played in my very first mixed Scotch Doubles tournament a little while back, and absolutely LOVED it!!

I have to agree with Mike as well here. I did not want to let my partner down, who is a pretty sporty player, and probably played some of my best position play to that point in that tournament. Very rarely did I get really out of shape, and in the one or two cases that I did, he was able to make the shot anyways.

I would like to add to Mike's post that I also feel that because you are alternating shots with your partner, it tends to keep the momentum at an even keel...you never get to the point where you may rush the shot due to momentum continuing to build....you're approaching the table as if you are beginning a new inning each and every time. There is no chance of losing your focus moving from shot to shot to shot.

I cannot wait until I can play in one again!

Lisa

Cephalus
05-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I love to play Scotch Doubles, mostly because I tend to play with players that are far better then me. I think it really helps show me the parts of my game that I have to work on - when my partner tells me what he wants me to do, and I have to say "I don't know that shot". As long as I am playing with better players, it is a good learning tool.

softshot
05-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I like scotch for a change of pace.... but I can never ever get in the "zone" playing scotch..while it is fun to run a table swapping shots... I can never groove in and run em. I and I'd expect most other pool players are at their best when you can see the road home and you just plop plop plop the balls in the holes...

It has its place... but I would hate playing like that all the time..

Inaction
05-01-2008, 04:18 AM
I have learned from my experience with Scotch Doubles is that it works best for one player to be the leader and the other more of a shot maker, with situation exceptions.

The leader makes the pattern decisions, and partner executes the shots. If there are shots that are more difficult, plans can be changed.

With evenly matched players, they just need to get along and be flexible. ie. if neither wants to be the second, even for a little bit, there will be trouble.

In one tournament, I played position for the "2", relayed my plan to partner, she shoots another ball. I jumped over a ball to make the 2 and we continued to run out. Would have been tough her way.

My best results have been playing with a lesser player, or a better player who I defer to.

MinoInADixeCup
05-01-2008, 04:27 AM
I truely hate that game.

Thunderball
05-01-2008, 05:12 AM
I love it.Best if betting small among freinds with the beer flowing.Nothing brings the smack talk out like hooking your buddy/partner lol....plus it will keep a small group involved as opposed to two sitting out.

I've played in a few tournaments as well over the years as well....we usually finish pretty decent,but we know how we each play and think so that goes a long way...along with communication.

cardiac kid
05-01-2008, 05:20 AM
I'm playing in my first scotch doubles event next week in Vegas. I'll let you know how I liked it when I return. Everyone I asked said "just have fun". If it is just fun, why do so many players hate it?

Lyn

DelaWho???
05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
1. You only get one shot, so you focus to make the best of it.
2. Someone else is relying on you so you put the extra effort in.
3. Like dancing, someone has to lead and someone has to follow.
4. Strong player/weak player partnerships give the strong player the opportunity to bring out the best of his partners game.
5. The format keeps both partners involved in the game

I enjoy the format and have had minor success. It does suck to be the partner who makes the mistake that ends the day... If your partner does it, all you can do is watch, and if you do it, it's twice as bad letting someone else down.

Banger

kryptonite9
05-01-2008, 02:30 PM
If you can find a good partner that thinks like you and plays like you it is a money maker. :)

DelaWho???
05-01-2008, 02:37 PM
If you can find a good partner that thinks like you and plays like you it is a money maker. :)

That's the tough part. Friends don't necessarily make good partners...

Banger

Divine Sapience
05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Scotch Doubles Rocks!!!

Its great being able to talk about different patterns and see things from a different perspective. The best part about it is that usually it is not the best players who win, its the players who play best with each other.

Zallus
05-01-2008, 02:43 PM

I agree, this can be the most difficult part. Its not as bad in 9-ball, but in 8-ball and one pocket it can be a nightmare if your partner doesn't have the same play style as you.

I actually played 8-ball last night with a person of similar ability and his patterns are way different than mine, we had a terrible time deciding on what order we wanted to go and even if we wanted to be stripes or solids. Man did I have a headache after like 2 hours of that.

But I think its a great game, if you find the right partner it is easy.

One thing for those that don't play it much, if your opponent is the opposite hand of you take that into account when playing position for them. Nothing worse than getting to the table with a beautiful angle but you can't reach it because you are left handed.

Milo
05-01-2008, 02:47 PM
My regular partner is an A player. I have learned so much from him. And we have been very successful in tournaments.
Probably the only drawback is that he plays pool for a living and so we have different mindsets. I play for the experience. I have learned to play under the extreme pressure of playing with him. Its made me a better player. And I think I have shown him that you can also have fun and win at the same time. I always get a kick out of making him smile when we are playing under the heat in some big finals match.

Da Poet
05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Not only competitively, but it's a great game for casual mixed company as well. Six of us were at a table and we split into two teams of three. It worked well. Everyone participates and you have a little time to chat and enjoy a beverage between shots.

rackmsuckr
05-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I think the ones who hate it are talking about MIXED Scotch Doubles (or more aptly, Scotch Troubles!), while the ones who love it, at least the men, are talking about scotch doubles with another guy or someone more evenly matched or that they don't have to go home with! ;)

That being said, I have won many tournaments with several good partners. I once won 3 big weekend mixed scotch tournaments on 3 consecutive weekends with 3 different partners! (Scott Chandler, Raul, and Mike)

The best partner I ever had was Barry Emerson. We walked off with the title, and no one even came close. He showed me one thing that probably aggravated him about my ball-in-hand placement, that helped my game and I still use it to this day.

Second I would say is James Davee, the gentle giant. We won a couple tournaments together, but I like this picture where we took it away from the Canadians.

cardiac kid
05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Folks,

In my last post here I mentioned I'd update the thread. Here goes. Third in the open doubles out of 450+ teams!!!!!! Third! My partner was great. She made lots of mistakes. So did I. We still had a real chance to win the event. Thanks to those on the thread who offered advice. Incidentally, we really had fun. We'll do it again next year.

Lyn