PDA

View Full Version : Why can't someone build a SW like cue for cheaper

maxeypad2007
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I have owned lots of cues over the year and have played with a southwest for several years now.

Without a shadow of a doubt my SW is the cue I have played my best pool with. I get the most satisfaction from playing with it. Its not the looks, but the hit and playability.

So why can't someone make a cue that hits VERY similar at less of the price. I'd think there is a market for this.

Maybe these cues exist. I'd love to have a great secondary cue to play with in places like bars that hits as good as my southwest. I've even considered buying a SW satin cue.

So what cues are out there that actually hit, play and feel similar to a southwest but are lower cost?

I know there is no substitute and would like to get close.

So what do you guys recommend to me as my secondary cue?

mr2_serious
04-30-2008, 04:00 PM
There are a few cuemakers that can copy the SW shaft taper but i do not know who.

Roadkill
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Southwest cues are fabulous examples of cue building. But as far as hit and playability, they are far overrated. Contact Scott Sherbine and inquire about the $305 basic linen wrapped cue. Four words; awesome hit, awesome price!

BRKNRUN
04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I think they can and do.

I have a Jacoby cue that I had custom built....(my design and specs)

A local that uses a SW hit some balls with it and said..."This hits quite a bit like this SW...but I like the hit of the Jacoby better".

LOTS of local cue makers that can make very nice cues hit any way you want.

Two locals in my area Dale Teague and Bryon Mordt can make a cue pretty much anyway or any hit you want...

If I did not already have the Jacoby...I would probably have Dale Teague make me one.

asiasdad
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I have owned lots of cues over the year and have played with a southwest for several years now.

Without a shadow of a doubt my SW is the cue I have played my best pool with. I get the most satisfaction from playing with it. Its not the looks, but the hit and playability.

So why can't someone make a cue that hits VERY similar at less of the price. I'd think there is a market for this.

Maybe these cues exist. I'd love to have a great secondary cue to play with in places like bars that hits as good as my southwest. I've even considered buying a SW satin cue.

So what cues are out there that actually hit, play and feel similar to a southwest but are lower cost?

If anyone other than Southwest makes the cue that you
are inquiring about, no matter what it will still be a
Southwest LIKE cue:cool:

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Interesting thread, http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/cheers.gif

1-pocket-player
04-30-2008, 04:15 PM

IMHO, Rick Howard makes probably the closest hitting cue to a SW (That you can get for under $1,000).... I might be mistaken but I think you can order a plain jane from Rick for around $500-$700.

-Andy

mullyman
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Southwest cues are fabulous examples of cue building. But as far as hit and playability, they are far overrated. Contact Scott Sherbine and inquire about the $305 basic linen wrapped cue. Four words; awesome hit, awesome price!

Something like this comes down to personal preference. In all fairness none of us can say what feels good to another person. Personally, I love the hit of a SouthWest cue. Very solid.

As for the original thread, well, in all honesty, SouthWest cues aren't as expensive as they could be.
MULLY

Alex Kanapilly
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

Obviously those of us that own Southwests disagree, but to each his own.

I've had many different cues over the years but I always end up coming back to my Southwest. I even break with it dispite having three different dedicated break cues.

poolplayer2093
04-30-2008, 04:38 PM

You want a cue that hits like a south west? just check out the for sale forum. there's plenty of cues there that hit like a south west!!!!!!!!!!!!

manwon
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=maxeypad2007]I have owned lots of cues over the year and have played with a southwest for several years now.

This is a very good question, I will try to answer it for you in plain terms.

First, there is a number of reasons that Southwest Cues are special I will try to list some of them below.

1) All materials are the best available !!!

2) Wood must be aged before use: The wood that South west is currently using to build cues is most likely at least Ten years old. Once aged it takes another 2 or more years of turning to complete a forearm for a cue. Then that forearm once completed is hung and sits for another year or two before it is used in a cue.

3) Next is waste: Even with the above standards which are equal or better than any in the industry, sometimes wood moves. Completed forearms will sometimes have movement in the points or in the base wood itself, and at this stage of construction they must be destroyed in most cases.

Now I have briefly touched on some of steps in making a cue, it kinda gives you an idea how much in materials are on hand. How along it takes a piece of wood to age before it is used, and how labor intensive it is with the number of employees they have ( Small Number) daily. Along with the fact that waste is unavoidable, no matter what precautions are taken.

The reason Southwest is so expensive is because of the standards that they build cues to, along with the quality materials, Waste, and time intensive labor.

I hope this helps

maxeypad2007
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the great info.

I actually own a rick howard also and feel like its the closest thing I've personally found to my southwest. Thanks for all the info

jasonlaus
04-30-2008, 04:58 PM

I have a southwest style SEARING [no points]thats at least double the cost of a southwest. As for playability I have both SW & S i prefer Searing. So if you like SW better maybe 2 to 3k isn't such a bad price.

ATM
04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
My capone is a moster. Big pin, well balanced and solid and 1/3 the price of a southwest=I'll take it.

smashmouth
04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Southwest makes a nice cue, no more, no less

They are not the Holy Grail of cues.

Top pros do not play with SW's, in fact more have used Meuccis, alot more.

mullyman
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM

And they have the sponsorship from Meucci to prove it.

Oddly enough, I visited SW in the summer of 2001 or so. While looking around the shop I came across something that I found very interesting. There is a wall full of forearms in the early stages and most of them have names on them. Looking through the forearms at all the cool designs I came across one that had a tag on it that said E. Strickland.

You should probably think that more top players have them in their collection.
MULLY

1-pocket-player
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Yes, they do.

A lot of the Taiwanese players use them. Yang Ching Shun, Ko Pin-Yi, & Chia Ching Wu to name a few. Tommy Kennedy plays/played with one for a long time. Tony Chohan plays with one too. Also, Naoyuki Oi from Japan uses one...

-Andy

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, they do.

A lot of the Taiwanese players use them. Yang Ching Shun, Ko Pin-Yi, & Chia Ching Wu to name a few. Tommy Kennedy plays/played with one for a long time. Tony Chohan plays with one too. Also, Naoyuki Oi from Japan uses one...

-Andy
Most pros can't afford them.:D
Tommy had that b'eye SW. I saw it at the 1996 Legends of 9-Ball here in LA. He actually let me try it. :eek: I didn't hit a ball with it b/c I was scared to death to use it. The joint was to tight, he asked me to hold the shaft while he spun the butt.
The next year, Tommy was shooting with a Moochi. :eek: Then he got stiffed and dumped Moocci I heard.

1-pocket-player
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Most pros can't afford them.:D
Tommy had that b'eye SW. I saw it at the 1996 Legends of 9-Ball here in LA. He actually let me try it. :eek: I didn't hit a ball with it b/c I was scared to death to use it. The joint was to tight, he asked me to hold the shaft while he spun the butt.
The next year, Tommy was shooting with a Moochi. :eek: Then he got stiffed and dumped Moocci I heard.
Was it a 9-pointer? I'd be pretty nervous to shoot with it too.:o

SW to a Meucci? Talk about two different ends of the spectrum.

I know he had this one for a long time-

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Was it a 9-pointer? I'd be pretty nervous to shoot with it too.:o

I know he had this one for a long time-
It was a no-pointer.
Tommy dumped his Lambros before this SW.
That PBT event was pretty sad too.
Don Corleone Maggot was holding their checks until the end of the tournament. I have no idea if they got paid.

Str8PoolPlayer
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
If you want a SouthWest "type" Cue for a lot less money, then check out Coker Cues ...

There is a rather long story attached to the origin of Coker Cues and I may alot the time to tell it at a later date ... Right now I have to saddle-up for Wednesday night 8-Ball League ...

JB Cases
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Two cues I have owned that were very close to SouthWest in the hit were Coker and Les Blevins. You might look for examples of either one. Neither of them were as pleasing in the fit and finish as the SouthWests I have owned.

jay helfert
04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
It was a no-pointer.
Tommy dumped his Lambros before this SW.
That PBT event was pretty sad too.
Don Corleone Maggot was holding their checks until the end of the tournament. I have no idea if they got paid.

Unlike the IPT, the "Maggot" NEVER paid them! They were only playing because of the $300,000 Bonus money being offered by R.J. Reynolds. That money did get paid.

CocoboloCowboy
05-01-2008, 04:58 AM
If you want a SouthWest "type" Cue for a lot less money, then check out Coker Cues ...

If I recall the cue Web site for Chalkers compared the hit of a Coker they had for sale to a Southwest. While living in Sacramento I had the opportunity to play with several Cokers, I thought they were a very nice hitting Cue.

our_auctionguy
05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Two cues I have owned that were very close to SouthWest in the hit were Coker and Les Blevins. You might look for examples of either one. Neither of them were as pleasing in the fit and finish as the SouthWests I have owned.
Thank you, you just increased the value of my Blevins. I will never regret paying $650 for my plain jane Blevins. It has 12mm shafts and hits like a Beast! Les.. oh Les, please come back and start making some more great hitting cues. We need you.

PS.... Tulipwood Lover has probably the most extensive collection of Blevins cues in the U.S. other than a Richard Harris dealer I know. I would put my Blevins hit up against anyone's Southwest in a blindfolded hitting contest, but I don't really have a need for a Southwest. I already have a better hitting cue.

But truth be told, Southwest cues ARE the holy grail by which other cues are judged. Why else would everyone want to copy them????