PDA

View Full Version : Fixing flat tip, specifically an Elk Master

jed1894
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
1st question:

What do you guys used to trim an Elk Master, or better yet, what technique to you all use to get the mushroom gone? Then, how do you guys get the thing burnished? I'm having a time with these burnishing.

Also, I'm trying to do this with the equipment I have (standard sand paper and other little gadgets I got from Porper (black thing that fits over top of cue).

JED

td873
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
1st question:

What do you guys used to trim an Elk Master, or better yet, what technique to you all use to get the mushroom gone? Then, how do you guys get the thing burnished? I'm having a time with these burnishing.

Also, I'm trying to do this with the equipment I have (standard sand paper and other little gadgets I got from Porper (black thing that fits over top of cue).

JED
This is the best hand tool for trimming a mushrooming tip

Burnish with an old piece of leather. I've used my belt, a leather coaster, or an old leather strap from some luggage. But, I'm not convinced that burnishing does much anyway...

-td

Danny Kuykendal
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I always compress an elkmaster tip to begin with. I think it's a great tip as long as it doesn't flatten out too much. Put it in a vise and compress it very hard, and it won't (typically) mushroom.

Klopek
04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

jed1894
04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
When you say "burnish with a paper towel, " can you please explain exactly how you burnish the tip? What's your method?

jED

mullyman
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
This is going to sound extremely simple but I use Moori tips on my cues. To burnish the outside of the tip I put a little spit between my forefinger and thumb, wipe it around the outside of the tip, then just take a dry towel and give it a good squeeze and turn the shaft around for a few seconds. Take the towel off and voila! A nice shiny burnished tip.
MULLY