PDA

View Full Version : Efren's comment about elkmaster during IPT match

Klopek
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
During the IPT Reyes/Murphy challenge match last night there was an intermission segment asking Efren what kind of cues he uses. He closed by showing a box of elkmaster tips and said that's all he'll ever play with.

I've seen many posters mention that Efren is using Tiger Snipers several times, what's up?.

Seemed to me the act of displaying a box of elkmasters was Efren's way of driving home the point that he uses only elks. Maybe he's tired of all the speculation and rumors.
Efren brings soaked and pressed EM's with him. I know once he had his tip replaced here. He swore the repairman took his tip and put on another tip.

Klopek
04-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Mainplayer
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
what does he soak the tip in.

Klopek
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

Tablemechanic
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I know that Efren has used Sniper tips. I also know that I have bought boxes of Elk Masters for him to take back to the Philippines. When Little Al does Elk Masters for Efren, he presses them in a vise over night then puts them on. I have been using Elk Masters the same way for a long time to. I know some of the pros around LA that play with Elk Masters. The Tiger Sniper is as close as you are going to get to a layered tip that plays like a pressed Elk Master. Tony, Cory, and the guys at Tiger make great products.

Steve

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Efren's Linds cue he used briefly in 2003.
I now own it.
You can see it has a pressed and trimmed Elk Master.

LoReNz
04-30-2008, 11:58 PM
how does the pressed elk shoot?? i mean, that's interesting. i havent heard anyone that does that. and how does the hit differ from a sniper tip?

mudball
05-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I first tried out Elks a couple years ago after my father told me thats all his uncle ever shot with. The price was right so I figured I'd give them a go. Personally, I'll never shoot with anything else. I don't feel there is a need to pay 30 a tip when you can have an elk master. I had Joe Blackburn put one on at Derby and I haven't seen anyone put'em on better. Shape lasts forever and they play perfect for me!

Tablemechanic
05-01-2008, 03:40 AM
The pressed Elk Masters play very well. Elk Masters are one of the softest tips on the market. When you press them they become very consistent and will not mushroom very much. You also get good action on the cue ball with this tip and they do not play like a hard tip. I play with pressed Elk Masters and I also have shafts with Snipers on them. They play very close to each other.

Steve

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 03:41 AM
how does the pressed elk shoot?? i mean, that's interesting. i havent heard anyone that does that. and how does the hit differ from a sniper tip?

It's not only the elk, but all the tips in the Philippines are pressed overnight. A pressed tip
gives a more solid hit on the CB, and absorbs the chalk much better, or so they say...

ragbug74
05-01-2008, 07:13 AM
I've soaked and pressed a few Elkmasters and everyone that has tried them loves them. You get the cueball "grip" of the soft elk tip, but the soaking/pressing hardens up the rest of the tip so it doesn't mushroom nearly as much, if at all. It also gives a bit of a firmer hit than a regular Elkmaster. You just have to be careful shaping them so you don't fluff up the end too much. If you do, it will eventually compress itself back down through play. I recommend using a curved sanding board, shaping from the middle of the tip toward the outside, following the shape of the tip. One of my buddies tried shaping his with a cue cube type shaper and it fluffed up pretty good.

I know Efren used to use them, but I was under the same impression that he now uses Sniper tips. Well, I guess once you find a good tip and have some success with it over the years, it's hard to get away from it and make a change.

From what I've read in the past, the Philipinos press their tips by placing them under a table leg overnight. There's some weight for you.........