PDA

View Full Version : If only the balls fell like Austin's tears.

bumpypickle
05-01-2008, 12:35 AM
So did everyone enjoy the big match? I love all the excuses when Austin started playing like the 14 year old he is. Next up we have 230 lb. Fedor Emelianenko against a 120 lb. high school freshmen wrestler that has a really big heart and comes from a really good family. Don't count the kid out, he has beaten some of his classmates so he should do good against Fedor. LOL. Who can we vote for next? Maybe a 5 year old that wants to be a fireman and has played pool with his grandpappy a few times? I know, I know. I'm a very bad person.

Fast Lenny
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
The match did nothing for me and i didnt really watch it,i dont think it did anything for Austin either and maybe damaged him somewhat because from his personality type he comes off very timid.If you want to compare it to a fighter,you might have a young talent but you choose his fights accordingly,like Cus did with Tyson,you dont throw him in with a lion without first letting him have some seasoning. ;)

JB Cases
05-01-2008, 12:57 AM
He has beaten some of Efren's classmates too. The real Austin Murphy didn't show up but he will be back. No one expected him to win so it's no big deal. I guarantee that this kid has already taken down more big names in tournaments than most of us could dream about.

Things like this are his seasoning. He can go back and analyze this match and figure it out.

I bet that 99% of the people on this board would have traded places with Austin in a heartbeat if the chance was offered to them. Even if they don't play a fraction as good as Austin does now.

I don't buy the tight pockets excuse. I do think that nervousness was a HUGE factor and inexperience of course.

I am sure that there are some 14 year olds out there who are already seasoned and hardened gamblers that might have done better. However it's not a bad thing to have this match available for people to view as it may inspire others to play more pool.

Rubyron
05-01-2008, 02:00 AM
So did everyone enjoy the big match? I love all the excuses when Austin started playing like the 14 year old he is. Next up we have 230 lb. Fedor Emelianenko against a 120 lb. high school freshmen wrestler that has a really big heart and comes from a really good family. Don't count the kid out, he has beaten some of his classmates so he should do good against Fedor. LOL. Who can we vote for next? Maybe a 5 year old that wants to be a fireman and has played pool with his grandpappy a few times? I know, I know. I'm a very bad person.

I enjoyed the match. He should thank you because I think you played a small part in getting him in the match. I don't know if you are a bad person, I just think you are being a jerk to a 14 year old kid.

hilla_hilla
05-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Next Tar match up: Austin Murphy vs Bumpy Pickle

I'm betting on Austin:)

RunoutalloverU
05-01-2008, 02:12 AM
I agree with you bumpy, but dude, when was the last time you got laid?

Deadon
05-01-2008, 02:19 AM
There are only a few on this board that could play Austin even 9 ball.

I have played him many times and have seen him play in our weekly tournaments for some time now. He plays alot better than shown in the match. He has a passion for pool and winning and is generally a good kid that needs to mature a little. He was certainly nervous, as anyone would be in that situation.

While it wasn't a competatvie match, it is good PR for the gave. The "undercard" was great.

How about a little kindness for the kid, he's playing in a world of adult pro players, and isn't doing too bad.

cueandcushion
05-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Austin should be happy about being chosen for the match. He campaigned for it and got it. Was never supposed to be an even match. Just a exhibition based on popularity. Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs. I would be happy to beat Efren 5 or 6 games on a live TV match. Congrats to Austin.

PROG8R
05-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Maturity will come; he just needs to enjoy being a kid while he still is.

RunoutalloverU
05-01-2008, 04:38 AM
[QUOTE=Deadon]There are only a few on this board that could play Austin even 9 ball. QUOTE]

Somehow I dont think that is an accurate statement.

beetle
05-01-2008, 05:01 AM

His avatar should answer that question...

hemicudas
05-01-2008, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE=Deadon]There are only a few on this board that could play Austin even 9 ball. QUOTE)

The operative phrase being "9 Ball". They were playing 8 ball, which is a moving game. Who moves better than Efren, ever? No one.

ironman
05-01-2008, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=Deadon]There are only a few on this board that could play Austin even 9 ball. QUOTE)

The operative phrase being "9 Ball". They were playing 8 ball, which is a moving game. Who moves better than Efren, ever? No one.

True enough Bill. Plus everyone {or most} on this board has held Dfren on a pedastal for quite some period.
What were the expectations for this kid. For the love of Christ, he is 14 years old. I wonder how well Efren played at 14, or SVB?

Young Austin lost a match to a great player and will be back. One of the toughest things about wanting to be a top player is learning to fade the "heat".

parvus1202
05-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Now that Austin knows what he is capable of, capable of not be able to beat a monster, then he should travel outside to gain experience. Wu stayed in Manila for almost a year before he won the world 9 ball. Wu has not back in training in Manila, maybe the reason why he has not won big tourneys, he needs another visit for a year.

Tim-n-NM
05-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Now that Austin knows what he is capable of, capable of not be able to beat a monster, then he should travel outside to gain experience. Wu stayed in Manila for almost a year before he won the world 9 ball. Wu has not back in training in Manila, maybe the reason why he has not won big tourneys, he needs another visit for a year.

Just my opinion of course, I think he should just be a kid. Play when you want to and enjoy the things kids enjoy. He is a fine young player but lets not ruin his childhood because (we) expect him to play better.

I say, go have some fun kid, there is plenty of time for pool in your life.
Stay in school and only play when its fun.

ironman
05-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Just my opinion of course, I think he should just be a kid. Play when you want to and enjoy the things kids enjoy. He is a fine young player but lets not ruin his childhood because (we) expect him to play better.

GREAT POINT>

watchez
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
He has beaten some of Efren's classmates too. The real Austin Murphy didn't show up but he will be back. No one expected him to win so it's no big deal. I guarantee that this kid has already taken down more big names in tournaments than most of us could dream about.

Things like this are his seasoning. He can go back and analyze this match and figure it out.

I bet that 99% of the people on this board would have traded places with Austin in a heartbeat if the chance was offered to them. Even if they don't play a fraction as good as Austin does now.

I don't buy the tight pockets excuse. I do think that nervousness was a HUGE factor and inexperience of course.

I am sure that there are some 14 year olds out there who are already seasoned and hardened gamblers that might have done better. However it's not a bad thing to have this match available for people to view as it may inspire others to play more pool.
What you don't get is that this is the real Austin Murphy. At least for right now. To make the statement you did is ludicrious. If you can't transpose what you are in practice or the local regional tour with 3-4 other shortstops, then that is what you are. For a reverse example, please look up Tiger Woods winning his first Masters, Carmelo Anthony/Pervis Ellison/etc leading his team to the national championship game as a freshman, ...I could give plenty of examples. Seasoning might help, it might not. Austin has been playing in major competitions for quite some time and should have seasoning- Jr Nationals, World Jr events, multiple IPT events, DCC events.

Austin should know what pressure is by now & how to deal with it. The kid is 14 - I don't think anyone expected him to play and not miss.

I have said this a million times - pool players (& athletes) are just like race horses. They can feel the heat. When a horse is born, with the right training, he can become a stakes winner. If he wasn't born to be a stakes winner, he will remain a $10,000 claimer. As a $10,000 claimer he might run a mile in 1:38 but when he gets in a stakes race with the big boys he would be lucky to run in 1:48.

Austin should gamble some if he needs to learn how to feel the heat more. That will help him grow as a player in tournaments & challenge matches.

mullyman
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Is this match availble for download or on youtube?
MULLY

champ2107
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Anyone play any sport at its highest level at age 14? Now try and picture what was going through his head! I know I would have been rattling pockets for sure and choking on some strait in shoots! No disrespect to austin and he will be a champion some day but they should have had svb,bustamante,earl or someone like that playing.

I wouldnt dout you can still see it free on the ipt site for now.

td873
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Regardless of your opinion, at 14 Austin's probably done more on the professional pool scene than 99% of the rest of us ever will.

And just for the record, when was the last time YOU were compared to ANY world champion in anything? Much less compete against one for all the world to see.

Besides, I doubt most of us could gather enough votes to get into the stands, much less on the table ;)

Good job Austin!

-td

bigskyjake
05-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Man,you're an asshole

av84fun
05-01-2008, 08:47 AM

I think the matchup was unfortunate in the sense that young Austin never had a chance and I prefer to watch matches where each player has a realistic chance of winning.

But I also think your post was demeaning to the kid. He can beat players WAY better than his classmates.

I realize your comment was sarcastic and not realistic but that is the point...sarcasm was unwarranted.

Jim

DTL
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Southpaw
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM

It must really suck to be jealous of a 14 year old.....

Southpaw

av84fun
05-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I think the IPT should give Austin another chance.......against a young, future champion like himself. I vote for Landon Shuffett to play Austin Murphy on the next IPT challenge.......say as the undercard match, race to 11 9-ball. Lets everybody get onboard and make this happen!!

GREAT IDEA!

mullyman
05-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Just watched the first game and I gotta believe Efren played that 9 in front of the side pocket on purpose. Look at that layout. He blocks that pocket and he's golden. He was waving his arm around like he missed it but I bet 10-1 he put that there on purpose.
MULLY

catscradle
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM

tap-tap-tap.

BVal
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Being jealous of a 14 year old kid that got to play Efren doesn't make you a bad person :) It's the constant attacking of the 14 year old kid that does it. :)

BVal

JerzyJoe
05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Austin Murphy seems like a fine young man and I wish him nothing but the best, so please don't take the following as a dig.
Mosconi was billed as an "11 Year-Old Boy Wonder".
Mizerak played strong even as a pre-teen.
Allen Hopkins was playing (and beating) guys like Mizerak by his early teens.
Loree Jon Jones was in the Guiness Book of World Records at age 15.
Gene Balukas was another child star.
One thing they all had in common was when they started playing as children they were encouraged, nurtured and coached. They all pretty much grew up in poolrooms.
Although I'd rather have watched, say 2 Hall-of Famers or something, I have to give the IPT some credit for bringing something new to the party.
The Ortmann-Schmidt match was great, there should be more Straight pool coverage.

champ2107
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Just watched the first game and I gotta believe Efren played that 9 in front of the side pocket on purpose. Look at that layout. He blocks that pocket and he's golden. He was waving his arm around like he missed it but I bet 10-1 he put that there on purpose.
MULLY

Zoom up to at least 150%, bottom right.

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
What you don't get is that this is the real Austin Murphy. At least for right now. To make the statement you did is ludicrious. If you can't transpose what you are in practice or the local regional tour with 3-4 other shortstops, then that is what you are. For a reverse example, please look up Tiger Woods winning his first Masters, Carmelo Anthony/Pervis Ellison/etc leading his team to the national championship game as a freshman, ...I could give plenty of examples. Seasoning might help, it might not. Austin has been playing in major competitions for quite some time and should have seasoning- Jr Nationals, World Jr events, multiple IPT events, DCC events.

Austin should know what pressure is by now & how to deal with it. The kid is 14 - I don't think anyone expected him to play and not miss.

I have said this a million times - pool players (& athletes) are just like race horses. They can feel the heat. When a horse is born, with the right training, he can become a stakes winner. If he wasn't born to be a stakes winner, he will remain a $10,000 claimer. As a $10,000 claimer he might run a mile in 1:38 but when he gets in a stakes race with the big boys he would be lucky to run in 1:48.

Austin should gamble some if he needs to learn how to feel the heat more. That will help him grow as a player in tournaments & challenge matches.

Very good points Watchez.

Take out the name "Austin Murphy" and replace it with anyone's name who aspires to be at the upper echelon....They either have it at battle time or they don't.

Two points I would like to add.
1. I don't know if anybody really believed or thought that Austin Murphy had a realistic chance of winning this match vs Efren. It was more of an exhibition in my opinion rather than a legitimate match up. A time to showcase two very different players. One (Efren), an all time all-around bona-fide legend who we'll all be talking about for decades to come. And one who is a young gun who shows lots of talent but whose potential is still unknown. Lots of people are HOPING he has loads of potential, but his potential is still unknown.

2. Ralph Greenleaf, Willie Mosconi, Jimmy Caras, Steve Mizerak, etc were all able to beat accomplished champions when they gave "exhibitions" during the time when they were around Austin's age. Jean Balukas was another one. Chia Ching Wu won the World 9 Ball Championship at age 16, which is just two years away for Austin. My point being that many of the players who wound up at the upper echelon of our sport showed immense talent very early on and they parlayed what was already there by never giving up. Win, lose or draw, they kept at it and honed their God given talent even more because something inside them drove them. For the most part, they had single minded devotion. It will be very interesting to see how this big time in the lime-light will affect Austin as far as his pool playing future is concerned. It could be the fuel that really stokes him to press on and really knuckle down to achieve even greater exploits in pooldom, or, this loss could deflate him and cause his love for pool to fizzle out. There are a lot of distractions in the world for a kid who's not even old enough to drive. If someone has pounded into his head that he's the next coming of Mosconi, he tries his best and gets pounded, it could really play havoc with him psychologically.
Time will tell the story here.

bigskyjake
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Austin Murphy seems like a fine young man and I wish him nothing but the best, so please don't take the following as a dig.
Mosconi was billed as an "11 Year-Old Boy Wonder".
Mizerak played strong even as a pre-teen.
Allen Hopkins was playing (and beating) guys like Mizerak by his early teens.
Loree Jon Jones was in the Guiness Book of World Records at age 15.
Gene Balukas was another child star.
One thing they all had in common was when they started playing as children they were encouraged, nurtured and coached. They all pretty much grew up in poolrooms.
Although I'd rather have watched, say 2 Hall-of Famers or something, I have to give the IPT some credit for bringing something new to the party.
The Ortmann-Schmidt match was great, there should be more Straight pool coverage.

Lets not forget a 13 year old Keith McCready who busted the payball ring game at (I think) Palace Billiards against the best players in California

Beware_of_Dawg
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
MULLY

link pleeze?

champ2107
05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
The outcome of the match is what was expected by 99.9% of the pool world, dont see what the fuss is all about? Austin may/should develop into a world champion some day austin -14 efren - 53 alot of years ahead, unless he discovers girls lol.

powerlineman80
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Thats the problem, the 14 year old is better than him and he cant stand it.:cool:

olauzon
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
The outcome of the match is what was expected by 99.9% of the pool world, dont see what the fuss is all about? Austin may/should develop into a world champion some day austin -14 efren - 53 alot of years ahead, unless he discovers girls lol.

here's this awfully talented 14 year old, AzBer, gets voted to play a fairly high stake game against one of the best there ever was. that there's anything but support for this guy, no matter expected outcome, especially here, is a disgrace.

jasonlaus
05-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Like what? sitting inside playing video games getting fat.Maybe he likes pool. If he was playing football, baseball, or something else besides pool would you say would you say forget it go be a kid? didnt think so, that's the kind of comment that is killing pool. We should have fifty AUSTINS to attract the younger players.

champ2107
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Anyone play any sport at its highest level at age 14? Now try and picture what was going through his head! I know I would have been rattling pockets for sure and choking on some strait in shoots! No disrespect to austin and he will be a champion some day but they should have had svb,bustamante,earl or someone like that playing.

I wouldnt dout you can still see it free on the ipt site for now.

here's this awfully talented 14 year old, AzBer, gets voted to play a fairly high stake game against one of the best there ever was. that there's anything but support for this guy, no matter expected outcome, especially here, is a disgrace.

olauzon not sure what ur looking for but I wont go there with u! I was being realistic like "most" of us are. I think I have said twice in this thread austin will or should become a champion some day! is that not support? Your choice of word "disgrace" bothers me but I wont go there with u! and not flame up this thread even more.

fanthom
05-01-2008, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=hemicudas]

True enough Bill. Plus everyone {or most} on this board has held Dfren on a pedastal for quite some period.
What were the expectations for this kid. For the love of Christ, he is 14 years old. I wonder how well Efren played at 14, or SVB?

Young Austin lost a match to a great player and will be back. One of the toughest things about wanting to be a top player is learning to fade the "heat".

At 14, Efren was getting chauffered, backed by well-heeled stake horses and was spotting much older and many shortstops in rotation, thus his aka 'BATA', which means 'THE KID'. His best playing days were in the late 70's and early 80's when doing a run-out side bet of rotation (before the break) is just part of the gambling routine. And oh yeah, he doesn't stop at 61 points because the run-out bet means all 15 balls or bust. 5 racks of consecutive runouts rotation is not unusual back then. If you have doubts, ask former Air Force AZB guys who did a stint at Clark Air Base and are into pool.

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Olauzon,
I disagree that he's not getting support. The majority of these posts have been very supportive of Austin. Watchez said "The kid is 14 - I don't think anyone expected him to play and not miss." That sums up perfectly where the majority of posters are coming from.

I think what's being done is our "Monday morning quaterbacking" that is done after every significant match. That we're talking about him at all as a 14 years old says wonders about how he is viewed and supported here at AZB.

Austin was given the opportunity of a life time that many, many other kids would have also loved to have had. Does that make him immune or exempt from having his play and performance reviewed and rehashed by those of us (like you) who love pool and enjoy discussing the major events in our great sport?

If Austin or his family reads what most have written here, I think they woud be proud of what he did as well as appreciate the suggestions or constructive critisism that is being offered. Many of the posters made some great points that, if taken to heart, can only help him in his career.
And that alone shows much support.

jasonlaus
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
If another top pro had been beaten by the same score or worse [which is possibe it's efran of course] would you be running your IGNORANT mouth? remember if you don't have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

olauzon
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
olauzon not sure what ur looking for but I wont go there with u! I was being realistic like "most" of us are. I think I have said twice in this thread austin will or should become a champion some day! is that not support? Your choice of word "disgrace" bothers me but I wont go there with u! and not flame up this thread even more.

the disgrace wasn't directed at you champ. but you wondered what the fuzz was about, so it was more an opinion in that regard.

confusious

olauzon
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Olauzon,
I disagree that he's not getting support

i would too, Terry. i meant nothing but support.

catscradle
05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Like what? sitting inside playing video games getting fat.Maybe he likes pool. If he was playing football, baseball, or something else besides pool would you say would you say forget it go be a kid? didnt think so, that's the kind of comment that is killing pool. We should have fifty AUSTINS to attract the younger players.

I can't speak for Tim, but IMO....
No not sitting around playing vid games, but just being a kid. He doesn't have to forsake pool, just don't sacrifice the rest of what goes with being a kid. Personally, if my kids had happend to be prodigies in something, including football, baseball, I'd encourage them to diversify and taste a broader spectrum of life. Likewise if my kids had been mental giants, I would have encouraged them to get their noses out of the books and experience other things.
That, I think, is what Tim is getting at, in the grand scheme of life, pool or any other single diversion just isn't that important.

BRKNRUN
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Maturity will come; he just needs to enjoy being a kid while he still is.

You talking about Austin or BumpyPickle here???

Hmmmmmmmmm;)

Snapshot9
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
is that Billiards is not treated as a sport.
is that Pro players can not make a living like other professional sports.
is that we don't have Billiards in Jr and Sr High as competition, and in the Olympics.

Austin, from what I have heard, is a fine player, and still learning, as most 14 year olds would be. But, irregardless of talent, kids develop emotional maturity at different rates. He will come into his own when he matures more.

Just for the record, Mosconi started when he was 3, standing on a wooden box. He won a National Jr. Championship when was 12.

Seems to me another player just came into his own within the last 2 years, his name is Shane Van Boening.

jasonlaus
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
No not sitting around playing vid games, but just being a kid. He doesn't have to forsake pool, just don't sacrifice the rest of what goes with being a kid. Personally, if my kids had happend to be prodigies in something, including football, baseball, I'd encourage them to diversify and taste a broader spectrum of life. Likewise if my kids had been mental giants, I would have encouraged them to get their noses out of the books and experience other things.
That, I think, is what Tim is getting at, in the grand scheme of life, pool or any other single diversion just isn't that important.
He also plays baseball & tennis. Maybe he should go vandalize some buildings, key some cars, or start smoking & drinking would that be better? Did you ever think that maybe pool, tennis, & baseball are things that kids like? or do you mean that he should find something that he isn't good at or has no interest in? stamp collecting perhaps? bird watching? gardening? let me know when i guess right so we can notify AUSTIN.

Tim-n-NM
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks for explaining it for me. This is exactly what I was trying to say.

Tim-n-NM
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Edited: I have no ill will towards any involved. It was just an opinion.

MBTaylor
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM

All of us, as pool players, regardless of our abilities should be supportive of him and his efforts in the match. Criticizing, putting him down and dismissing his efforts is an absolute disgrace.

He is 14 yrs old, has a lot of talent and should be encouraged by what he reads on here, not be subjected to a lot of the BS that has been posted about his abilities.

I highly doubt many of the people here would have done much better in that setting and against that opponent.

MBTaylor
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
is that Billiards is not treated as a sport.
is that Pro players can not make a living like other professional sports.
is that we don't have Billiards in Jr and Sr High as competition, and in the Olympics.

Austin, from what I have heard, is a fine player, and still learning, as most 14 year olds would be. But, irregardless of talent, kids develop emotional maturity at different rates. He will come into his own when he matures more.

Just for the record, Mosconi started when he was 3, standing on a wooden box. He won a National Jr. Championship when was 12.

Seems to me another player just came into his own within the last 2 years, his name is Shane Van Boening.

And SVB has been playing for just about his entire life......

.....and oh my f'ng god, he even played league.................

ironman
05-01-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm really kind of ashamed for even responding to this. This is the most childish thread I think I've seen yet.

Now we all have a very good understanding of the work NIT!!!

powerlineman80
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I highly doubt many of the people here would have done much better in that setting and against that opponent.

At 28 he would have drilled me even worse. I'm pretty sure Murphy would kick my ass as well. The kid wanted the match to play against his favorite player and even promoted himself around the net and it worked. I voted for him and Efren to try and make it happen. I'm glad he got the match even though others here think it was 'boring'. Some even think this will kill his spirit, but I'd put money on it that it wont. The kid played his hero and won some games period. If I played Efren a race to 15 I'd consider myself a winner if I won just ONE game against him period.

Most people here that are dogging Murphy are doing it for one reason=jealousy.

MBTaylor
05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
At 28 he would have drilled me even worse. I'm pretty sure Murphy would kick my ass as well. The kid wanted the match to play against his favorite player and even promoted himself around the net and it worked. I voted for him and Efren to try and make it happen. I'm glad he got the match even though others here think it was 'boring'. Some even think this will kill his spirit, but I'd put money on it that it wont. The kid played his hero and won some games period. If I played Efren a race to 15 I'd consider myself a winner if I won just ONE game against him period.

Most people here that are dogging Murphy are doing it for one reason=jealousy.

I hope that it doesn't have any negative impact on him and that it does nothing but feed his desire to shoot. Hell, everytime I lose a match, it just pisses me off and makes me want to get better so I can chop that person's head off whether it be the next time I play them or a year or so down the road.

Hopefully it shows him what may be possible for his game and that he continues to work hard on his game and become as good as he possibly can.

LMAO, I would consider myself a winner if I even got to break and make a ball. First damn thing I would do after after the match would be to take the cue ball, whether I am allowed to have it or not, and ask him to sign it.

beetle
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
They either have it at battle time or they don't.

.....Ralph Greenleaf, Willie Mosconi, Jimmy Caras, Steve Mizerak, etc were all able to beat accomplished champions when they gave "exhibitions" during the time when they were around Austin's age. Jean Balukas was another one. Chia Ching Wu won the World 9 Ball Championship at age 16, which is just two years away for Austin. My point being that many of the players who wound up at the upper echelon of our sport showed immense talent very early on

What I don't agree about this comparison is that (1) you're implying that all of these people NEVER had a bad showing, and (2) you are picking world champions to compare to Austin. Austin is very talented and has performed very well against tournament winners (e.g. Hill-Hill against Basavitch). To judge Austin's career potential over his showing under incredibly nerve-wracking conditions is not fair imo.
EDIT: I realize you're not judging him, necessarily, but others in the thread are, so my comments go to the general idea being conveyed by some posters.

Russ Chewning
05-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Very good points Watchez.

1. I don't know if anybody really believed or thought that Austin Murphy had a realistic chance of winning this match vs Efren. It was more of an exhibition in my opinion rather than a legitimate match up. A time to showcase two very different players. One (Efren), an all time all-around bona-fide legend who we'll all be talking about for decades to come. And one who is a young gun who shows lots of talent but whose potential is still unknown. Lots of people are HOPING he has loads of potential, but his potential is still unknown.

2. Ralph Greenleaf, Willie Mosconi, Jimmy Caras, Steve Mizerak, etc were all able to beat accomplished champions when they gave "exhibitions" during the time when they were around Austin's age. Jean Balukas was another one. Chia Ching Wu won the World 9 Ball Championship at age 16, which is just two years away for Austin. My point being that many of the players who wound up at the upper echelon of our sport showed immense talent very early on and they parlayed what was already there by never giving up. Win, lose or draw, they kept at it and honed their God given talent even more because something inside them drove them. For the most part, they had single minded devotion. It will be very interesting to see how this big time in the lime-light will affect Austin as far as his pool playing future is concerned. It could be the fuel that really stokes him to press on and really knuckle down to achieve even greater exploits in pooldom, or, this loss could deflate him and cause his love for pool to fizzle out. There are a lot of distractions in the world for a kid who's not even old enough to drive. If someone has pounded into his head that he's the next coming of Mosconi, he tries his best and gets pounded, it could really play havoc with him psychologically.
Time will tell the story here.

I am totally supportive of Austin, but I want to point out the fact that just because a child shows talent at a young age, even an IMMENSE leavel of talent, does not mean they have what it takes to be a champion.

Example from another game: Chess. Josh Waitzin was one of the most talented youngsters to ever pick up the chess pieces. Won multiple youth titles.

He never even made Grandmaster. I don't believe he ever even won a U.S. Championship, let alone made an impact on the international scene.

Hikaru Nakamura is another chessplayer. He was the youngest Grandmaster ever. He's won one U.S. Open, one or two other international tournaments, but nothing else indicative of the greater potential shown by his making Grandmaster younger than Bobby Fischer.

All this to say... Terry is right. Cut it out with the expectations. Our young Austin is a fine player, and that in itself is a great accomplishment. Anyone who wishes to support him while he strives for ever greater heights, by all means, do so. But acknowledge the fact that he has taken up a game that he has little chance to make a living at.

We honestly should probably congratulate him whenever he has a good performance, but follow that up with "So whatcha studying in school, Austin?", in a friendly tone. Let's always try to make it clear to Austin that we hope for him to be successful in life outside of pool, as well.

Russ

beetle
05-01-2008, 01:23 PM
We honestly should probably congratulate him whenever he has a good performance, but follow that up with "So whatcha studying in school, Austin?", in a friendly tone. Let's always try to make it clear to Austin that we hope for him to be successful in life outside of pool, as well.

Russ

My understanding is that he is a straight A student, so I don't think we have to worry too much about him not having some other options should he decide to pursue them. I'm sure his family is handling his upbringing as well as Landon's.

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
What I don't agree about this comparison is that (1) you're implying that all of these people NEVER had a bad showing, and (2) you are picking world champions to compare to Austin. Austin is very talented and has performed very well against tournament winners (e.g. Hill-Hill against Basavitch). To judge Austin's career potential over his showing under incredibly nerve-wracking conditions is not fair imo.
EDIT: I realize you're not judging him, necessarily, but others in the thread are, so my comments go to the general idea being conveyed by some posters.

Beetle,
I appreciate your input in this thread.
As for me "implying that all these people NEVER had a bad showing", I can't see that in my post. To clarify, the people I mentioned did have bad showings from time to time. However, they were BEATING enough big names in exhibitions often enough that when they matched up, it was anybody's guess who would win. In other words, they won so many times that people kept booking exhibitions so others could see these kids prodigious talents. Surely they also lost some, but they won far more, and that's why they had so many exhibitions booked for so long. If they always got blown out, who would want to see them?

This is not to disparage Austin's talent or potential. But let's be equally fair to the other kids who were his age or younger who did somehow manage to do great exploits. Because Austin was not successful THIS time should not negate the great accomplishments of those we've mentioned when they were his age or younger.

Also, since he is such a strong talent at such a young age, what better yardstick to measure his progress so far than the other mega-talents when they were his age. To be compared with the Mosconi's, Greenleaf's and Mizerak's is very flattering, don't you think?

One thing is for sure. If Austin Murphy has another one of these big time match ups, can you imagine how the pressure of going thru that match with Efren has probably seasoned him! I think he'll be even stronger next time because lots of the "butterflies" won't be there next time. If he's the "real thing", the pressure he just experienced will help steel his nerves and his resolve to be the best.

Again, time will tell the story here.

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I am totally supportive of Austin, but I want to point out the fact that just because a child shows talent at a young age, even an IMMENSE leavel of talent, does not mean they have what it takes to be a champion.

Example from another game: Chess. Josh Waitzin was one of the most talented youngsters to ever pick up the chess pieces. Won multiple youth titles.

He never even made Grandmaster. I don't believe he ever even won a U.S. Championship, let alone made an impact on the international scene.

Hikaru Nakamura is another chessplayer. He was the youngest Grandmaster ever. He's won one U.S. Open, one or two other international tournaments, but nothing else indicative of the greater potential shown by his making Grandmaster younger than Bobby Fischer.

All this to say... Terry is right. Cut it out with the expectations. Our young Austin is a fine player, and that in itself is a great accomplishment. Anyone who wishes to support him while he strives for ever greater heights, by all means, do so. But acknowledge the fact that he has taken up a game that he has little chance to make a living at.

Russ

Russ,
When I first read your reply, I grabbed my chest like Fred Sanford and staggered around in my chair! I never thought I would live long enough to see you agree with me on anything, pool or otherwise!:D I was wrong....

Thanks for helping clarify my thoughts. My posts can easily get long winded and I often am thankful for an "interpreter"!

Also, I didn't know you followed chess! You're right on all those you mentioned. Personally, I've been rooting for Gata Kamsky to do well, since he's know living in Brooklyn. He has an upcoming match scheduled with Veselin Topalov that is really going to press him.

That last sentence in your post is something that should be said to every aspiring pool talent. Very well stated!

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Russ

Speaking of chess, I don't think Hikaru Nakamura is the youngest GM ever, he's not even in the top 12 I believe...

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Speaking of chess, I don't think Hikaru Nakamura is the youngest GM ever, he's not even in the top 12 I believe...

Gopi-1,
Here's what I pasted from ChessBase.com....
Youngest grandmasters in history
No. Player Nat. years months days year
1 Sergey Karjakin UKR 12 7 0 2002
2 Parimarjan Negi IND 13 3 22 2006
3 Magnus Carlsen NOR 13 3 27 2004
4 Bu Xiangzhi CHN 13 10 13 1999
5 Teimour Radjabov AZE 14 0 14 2001
6 Ruslan Ponomaryov UKR 14 0 17 1997
7 Wesley So PHI 14 1 28 2007
8 Etienne Bacrot FRA 14 2 0 1997
9 Maxime Vachier-Lagrave FRA 14 4 0 2005
10 Peter Leko HUN 14 4 22 1994
11 Yuri Kuzubov UKR 14 7 12 2004
12 Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son VIE 14 10 0 2004
13 Fabiano Caruana ITA 14 11 20 2007
14 Koneru Humpy IND 15 1 27 2002
15 Hikaru Nakamura USA 15 2 19 2003
16 Pentala Harikrishna IND 15 3 5 2001
17 Judit Polgar HUN 15 4 28 1991
18 Alejandro Ramirez CRI 15 5 14 2003
19 Bobby Fischer USA 15 6 1 1958

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Gopi-1,
Here's what I pasted from ChessBase.com....
Youngest grandmasters in history
No. Player Nat. years months days year
1 Sergey Karjakin UKR 12 7 0 2002
2 Parimarjan Negi IND 13 3 22 2006
3 Magnus Carlsen NOR 13 3 27 2004
4 Bu Xiangzhi CHN 13 10 13 1999
5 Teimour Radjabov AZE 14 0 14 2001
6 Ruslan Ponomaryov UKR 14 0 17 1997
7 Wesley So PHI 14 1 28 2007
8 Etienne Bacrot FRA 14 2 0 1997
9 Maxime Vachier-Lagrave FRA 14 4 0 2005
10 Peter Leko HUN 14 4 22 1994
11 Yuri Kuzubov UKR 14 7 12 2004
12 Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son VIE 14 10 0 2004
13 Fabiano Caruana ITA 14 11 20 2007
14 Koneru Humpy IND 15 1 27 2002
15 Hikaru Nakamura USA 15 2 19 2003
16 Pentala Harikrishna IND 15 3 5 2001
17 Judit Polgar HUN 15 4 28 1991
18 Alejandro Ramirez CRI 15 5 14 2003
19 Bobby Fischer USA 15 6 1 1958

Terry, have you heard about our young phenom Wesley So? His style is so aggressive
and he reminds of a 15 year old who goes by the monicker of "Corduroy Killer"! http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch23.gif

Sorry, have to spread more reps to others...

Terry Ardeno
05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I copied these 3 posts from another thread here on AZB re: this same subject. I think they were exceptionally insightful.
(Hope this don't violate no copyright infringements....:eek: )

Today, 06:03 AM
jay helfert
Hollywood 10-Ball 5/24-25

Quote:

I stayed off this thread for a long time, but this post got me motivated to respond.

I've watched Austin develop over the last few years and he has a lot of potential as a player. Will he make it to the top remains to be seen. Among the very young players I give Landon and Chuckie the best chance at pool stardom. They seem better suited to handle the rigors of pro pool. I wish Austin the best, but he needs to develop a little more maturity as a player. Getting upset will only hurt your game, not improve it.

As far as the young filipinos are concerned, I've seen several in the 14-16 year old range who could give Efren problems RIGHT NOW! He would have to get down and play his best to win. Efren would be the favorite over these filipino kids, but they wouldn't be nervous and they wouldn't fear him. They would be trying hard to beat him. And they have some serious firepower as well, and Efren knows it! He knows who they are better than me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by jay helfert : Today at 06:07 AM.

#145 Today, 08:19 AM
JB Cases
Casemaker

You're right about the Filipino kids Jay! But that brings up the question of environment. Those kids are among the very best in the world all the time so the "training" they get is tougher than any other place on Earth. The only other place that is close is Taiwan.

In the USA our kids are taught to lay down to trap opponents in order to keep the action flowing. Our kids go to tournaments and they are treated as circus freaks rather than serious competitiors.

Austin will go one of two directions, either he will bear down and put in the work and get as far as his talent will take him or he will quit. Pool is not a matter of survival for Austin as it is with so many others, including a lot of the Filipino kids.

It's a different story when your existence hangs on the game.

#146 Today, 09:13 AM
cuetechasaurus

In my humble opinion, I think that Austin should have waited until he was a little bit older and more mature as a player to play Efren in this setting. I have seen Austin play, and the kid plays STRONG! I don't think that he is pro level. He is a good shortstop, and that says alot for someone who is 14 years old.

I really think it would have been better if Austin just challenged Reyes to a small money game at some tournament later on down the line. I wanted to see two champions battling it out, not a mismatch. And the reason why it was a mismatch is because a group of people voted for Austin 100x per day.

He needs to get a reputation before he belongs in a challenge match of this sort, playing someone like Efren. I don't think Austin was selfish, but I really don't think he deserved to play.

I hope I'm not talking down on Austin, I am just saying how I really feel about the whole thing. He claimed that he was ready to play Efren, and he really wasnt. Austin was CLEARLY off his game. But when he was campaigning for votes here, he implied that he would pose a challenge to Reyes. He didnt. Instead of a great match, we got a mismatch, so it was a little dissapointing to me.

Russ Chewning
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM

I stand corrected.. I wikipedia'ed Hikaru, and I mut have misread him being AMERICA'S youngest GM ever.

Still, being in the top 20 puts him in good stead. I was simply offering the viewpoint of being a young, bright star does not guarantee one will stand the test of time.

Russ

Russ Chewning
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Russ,
Also, I didn't know you followed chess! You're right on all those you mentioned. Personally, I've been rooting for Gata Kamsky to do well, since he's know living in Brooklyn. He has an upcoming match scheduled with Veselin Topalov that is really going to press him.

Yah, I played when I was in high school, and tried to keep playing afterwards, but I soon realized that you had to be rated 1700+ in order to be anywhere near competitive outside scholastic competitions, and I was concentrating too heavily on pool to spend the time to improve my tactics recognition.

I am but a simple class E level player, and have no desire to put in the work to get better. The time I would need to put in with a tactics program would not be as enjoyable as practicing 3 rail safeties in pool.

I still see Fischer's accomplishment of making GM so young to be greater than the current crop of youngsters. He did it basically on his own after he made Master, in a country where chess was not a priority.

For the record, I believe one of the top players at one of his junior championships said that Fischer was playing GM strength long before he officially made it. He did not have very many opportunities to play strong GMs, and therefore get his GM points, or whatever the requirement was at that time period.

I mean, good lord, the kid learned Russian on his own specifically to study what the Russians were learning in their chess programs.

He was a phenomenal talent, who unfortunately had some mental issues (I believe from the very beginning). Morphy was very much the same. It seems that certain types of talent are much more prone to emntal instability. I wonder... I have never heard of Anand being an "odd bird". Is he one of the few that can combine World Championship-level play, with competent social interaction?

Poor Gata. If I remember correctly, his father pushed him hard into chess, and he quit for a few years when he separated from his father. it's good to see him get back in the game.

Russ

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I stand corrected.. I wikipedia'ed Hikaru, and I must have misread him being AMERICA'S youngest GM ever.

Still, being in the top 20 puts him in good stead. I was simply offering the viewpoint of being a young, bright star does not guarantee one will stand the test of time.

Russ

It's all good Russ, point taken...

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Yah, I played when I was in high school, and tried to keep playing afterwards, but I soon realized that you had to be rated 1700+ in order to be anywhere near competitive outside scholastic competitions, and I was concentrating too heavily on pool to spend the time to improve my tactics recognition.

I am but a simple class E level player, and have no desire to put in the work to get better. The time I would need to put in with a tactics program would not be as enjoyable as practicing 3 rail safeties in pool.

I still see Fischer's accomplishment of making GM so young to be greater than the current crop of youngsters. He did it basically on his own after he made Master, in a country where chess was not a priority.

For the record, I believe one of the top players at one of his junior championships said that Fischer was playing GM strength long before he officially made it. He did not have very many opportunities to play strong GMs, and therefore get his GM points, or whatever the requirement was at that time period.

I mean, good lord, the kid learned Russian on his own specifically to study what the Russians were learning in their chess programs.

He was a phenomenal talent, who unfortunately had some mental issues (I believe from the very beginning). Morphy was very much the same. It seems that certain types of talent are much more prone to emntal instability. I wonder... I have never heard of Anand being an "odd bird". Is he one of the few that can combine World Championship-level play, with competent social interaction?

Poor Gata. If I remember correctly, his father pushed him hard into chess, and he quit for a few years when he separated from his father. it's good to see him get back in the game.

Russ

The phrase "Being a genius borders on insanity" applies well to Bobby Fischer, Paul Morphy and Earl Strickland! Not a knock on Morphy, specially! http://emoticons4u.com/happy/1202.gif

roosterman
05-01-2008, 04:44 PM

I think we all agree with bumpypickle to a degree.What he is trying to say is why should have to suffer through watching Austin pay his dues.Everybody a know was watching it just to see Efren play and its a shame that we did not have anybody in there that could give him a challenge.Maybe like David Matlock we all know he has payed his dues,and if anybody out there has not had a chance to see him play your in for a real treat.And I promise he will not dog it.

PoolBum
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Russ

Fischer's accomplishments were, IMO, unparalleled in the history of chess. Alas, I think he was a profoundly sad character in his personal life, but what he did in the world of chess borders on the miraculous.

Austin deserves nothing but kudos for stepping up to play a living legend, and I wish him all the best in his pool future.

jasonlaus
05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I think we all agree with bumpypickle to a degree.What he is trying to say is why should have to suffer through watching Austin pay his dues.Everybody a know was watching it just to see Efren play and its a shame that we did not have anybody in there that could give him a challenge.Maybe like David Matlock we all know he has payed his dues,and if anybody out there has not had a chance to see him play your in for a real treat.And I promise he will not dog it.
No we don't have to agree with BP he is an a#$%hole & doesn't deserve to post here. So you're saying that there have never been any matches with top pros where one blew the other out? care to make a wager that EFREN hasn't beaten other pros by a wider margin? When were you on tv? How can you promise that anyone "will not dog it" thats absurd.

akinnyz
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
No we don't have to agree with BP he is an a#$%hole & doesn't deserve to post here.

Being judgmental of a fellow forum reader/poster because he/she says what most of us were thinking is a little shallow.

I happen to consider bumpypickle one of my best friends, and while I totally agree he's being a little "aggressively jaded" on how this match was actually allowed to happen, he's still far from an asshole.

Attacking other forum users for posting their opinions (popular or not) is what shouldn't be tolerated!

Back on topic,

Of course everyone likes to see a good underdog story, but I think we all enjoyed the under card a hell of a lot more than the actual match we all tuned in to watch. I'd like to see the under card in another match to 400 or more.

Just my .02

jasonlaus
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Being judgmental of a fellow forum reader/poster because he/she says what most of us were thinking is a little shallow.

I happen to consider bumpypickle one of my best friends, and while I totally agree he's being a little "aggressively jaded" on how this match was actually allowed to happen, he's still far from an asshole.

Attacking other forum users for posting their opinions (popular or not) is what shouldn't be tolerated!

Back on topic,

Of course everyone likes to see a good underdog story, but I think we all enjoyed the under card a hell of a lot more than the actual match we all tuned in to watch. I'd like to see the under card in another match to 400 or more.

Just my .02 Yeah kick me off of here. There is NO excuse for his behavior. I guess he isn't attacking anybody? he's a child & needs to grow up. He is trying to be hurtful to another person for no reason to me thats an a#$%hole. NOT sorry if YOU dont like it.

Hail Mary Shot
05-02-2008, 06:24 AM
it doesn't matter who is the youngest GM in the chess world. what matters is who lands on top of every major chess tourney in a consistent basis. besides we have a lot of GMs of varying age nowadays.

JB Cases
05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Watchez: I meant the real Austin didn't show up in terms of his real playing ability. The kid does in fact play jam up and in this match he dogged too many clear outs. In terms of nerves yeah I guess the real Austin showed up.

Me, I get nervous when Efren is 30 feet away so I can't imagine how I would feel IF my dream came true and I ended up in an exhibiition match against the greatest living pool player and my hero.

Wu Chia Ching - a product of his environment - he regularly competes against world beaters and MUST win in order to insure that he is allowed to participate in larger events. Also when Wu won he was in Taiwan in a familiar setting. His performance was still more than world class - running five racks and out for the title with his opponent on the hill.

Keither - not exactly a role model here. Keith lived at the poolroom. World class yes, but again a product of the environment he was in.

And of course there are other teenagers who play world class speed.

Bottom line is that this was an exhibiiton between a great young man who is in fact talented and his hero who is in fact inhuman as a pool player. That is all it was.

Had Austin won then the conversation would be about how Efren is washed up because he let a 14 year old kid beat him.

I am sure that Austin will take it as an experience and will resolve to work on his nerves so that he can show up both with his A-game and nerves of steel next time.

MBTaylor
05-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I copied these 3 posts from another thread here on AZB re: this same subject. I think they were exceptionally insightful.
(Hope this don't violate no copyright infringements....:eek: )

Today, 06:03 AM
jay helfert
Hollywood 10-Ball 5/24-25

Quote:

I stayed off this thread for a long time, but this post got me motivated to respond.

I've watched Austin develop over the last few years and he has a lot of potential as a player. Will he make it to the top remains to be seen. Among the very young players I give Landon and Chuckie the best chance at pool stardom. They seem better suited to handle the rigors of pro pool. I wish Austin the best, but he needs to develop a little more maturity as a player. Getting upset will only hurt your game, not improve it.

As far as the young filipinos are concerned, I've seen several in the 14-16 year old range who could give Efren problems RIGHT NOW! He would have to get down and play his best to win. Efren would be the favorite over these filipino kids, but they wouldn't be nervous and they wouldn't fear him. They would be trying hard to beat him. And they have some serious firepower as well, and Efren knows it! He knows who they are better than me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by jay helfert : Today at 06:07 AM.

#145 Today, 08:19 AM
JB Cases
Casemaker

You're right about the Filipino kids Jay! But that brings up the question of environment. Those kids are among the very best in the world all the time so the "training" they get is tougher than any other place on Earth. The only other place that is close is Taiwan.

In the USA our kids are taught to lay down to trap opponents in order to keep the action flowing. Our kids go to tournaments and they are treated as circus freaks rather than serious competitiors.

Austin will go one of two directions, either he will bear down and put in the work and get as far as his talent will take him or he will quit. Pool is not a matter of survival for Austin as it is with so many others, including a lot of the Filipino kids.

It's a different story when your existence hangs on the game.

#146 Today, 09:13 AM
cuetechasaurus

In my humble opinion, I think that Austin should have waited until he was a little bit older and more mature as a player to play Efren in this setting. I have seen Austin play, and the kid plays STRONG! I don't think that he is pro level. He is a good shortstop, and that says alot for someone who is 14 years old.

I really think it would have been better if Austin just challenged Reyes to a small money game at some tournament later on down the line. I wanted to see two champions battling it out, not a mismatch. And the reason why it was a mismatch is because a group of people voted for Austin 100x per day.

He needs to get a reputation before he belongs in a challenge match of this sort, playing someone like Efren. I don't think Austin was selfish, but I really don't think he deserved to play.

I hope I'm not talking down on Austin, I am just saying how I really feel about the whole thing. He claimed that he was ready to play Efren, and he really wasnt. Austin was CLEARLY off his game. But when he was campaigning for votes here, he implied that he would pose a challenge to Reyes. He didnt. Instead of a great match, we got a mismatch, so it was a little dissapointing to me.

How many 14 yr olds can truly say they are ready to play Efren, or any other top pro?

I don't think there are many who can say it AND actually do it.

beetle
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Had Austin won then the conversation would be about how Efren is washed up because he let a 14 year old kid beat him.

Actually, they would have said that Efren wasn't serious and let him win (different from being "washed up"). A few already covered their bases for that contingency before the match while disparaging Austin's game at the same time. :rolleyes:

roosterman
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
No we don't have to agree with BP he is an a#$%hole & doesn't deserve to post here. So you're saying that there have never been any matches with top pros where one blew the other out? care to make a wager that EFREN hasn't beaten other pros by a wider margin? When were you on tv? How can you promise that anyone "will not dog it" thats absurd.

You act like your the only one entitled to a opinion.And as far as saying that I can promise David Matlock wont dog it,I really mean that.Obviously you`ve never seen him play.

jasonlaus
05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
You act like your the only one entitled to a opinion.And as far as saying that I can promise David Matlock wont dog it,I really mean that.Obviously you`ve never seen him play.
I have no opinion about the match. just the A-HOLE

Spade
05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Austin doesnt have the maturity level of some other players his age from asia and europe.
Thats one big difference i see in the juniors and later professionals from foreign lands compared to america.

with the exception of Landon Shufett who has tremendous poise for his age.

i heard one pro say, "Landon cant be 12, that boy's 43. He's more mature than me!"

poolplayer2093
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM

that kid has beaten earl before

Str8PoolPlayer
05-03-2008, 11:00 PM

You are SO right, John ... At the first One-Pocket Tournament I entered at Hard Times Sacramento they paired me with Rafael Martinez in Match #1 and Billy Palmer in Match #2 ... It was the best entry money I ever spent and a very memorable experience, though short-lived ...

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
, I just think you are being a jerk to a 14 year old kid.
So many of the posts about this match are making excuses for Austin and it makes me laugh. The fact that I was not interested in voting for or watching Austin play somehow makes me an a**hole to some people. The comparison between Fedor and a 120 lb. high school freshman may be a little sarcastic but it is obviously realistic. If Austin is tough enough to ask for votes and thought he was tough enough to play the best then he can definately hear a realistic comparison about his match with Efren.

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:17 PM
While it wasn't a competatvie match, it is good PR for the gave. The "undercard" was great.
Why is it good pr? In your own words it was not a competative match and who watched this match besides people who are pool players? Would it have been even better pr if Austin was 5 or so and could hardly hold a stick? I do not believe the age of a player is going to make people watch our sport. A young PRO level player maybe but Austin's level, no way. Why was the undercard match so great? Did it have something to do with the players being 2 of the best in the world and not a young amateur?

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
they should have had svb,bustamante,earl or someone like that playing.

Did you vote for Austin? I voted for some top pros and was called an idiot, tweedle dum, jerk, and a few other choice names. One guy even called me an a**hole. What if I was the sensitive type? I might be offended.

jasonlaus
05-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Did you vote for Austin? I voted for some top pros and was called an idiot, tweedle dum, jerk, and a few other choice names. One guy even called me an a**hole. What if I was the sensitive type? I might be offended.
No issue with who you voted for just the comments made about austin. I would have the same issue if it was any other player also. Just rude for no reason.

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:41 PM
And just for the record, when was the last time YOU were compared to ANY world champion in anything? Much less compete against one for all the world to see.

-td Gee, now we're comparing Austin with Efren? People have compared me with Nevel on youtube and on this forum. Bald and big strokes. Play in some opens and you might play a world beater.

Southpaw
05-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Im sure all the crap you are getting doesnt have anything to do with the way slammed a 14 year old. I mean, just look at the title of this thread. And, your anal retentive remarks helped Austin get voted in in the first place...good job. You gave the kid the biggest moment of his young life. Im sure he appreciates the learning experience.

Southpaw

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Man,you're an asshole
What does a hole with a donkey in it have to do with anything?

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
No issue with who you voted for just the comments made about austin. I would have the same issue if it was any other player also. Just rude for no reason.
The kid cries when he loses, but if you mention it then you are rude? What comments did I make about Austin that are not true? I would love an answer.

bumpypickle
05-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Im sure all the crap you are getting doesnt have anything to do with the way slammed a 14 year old. I mean, just look at the title of this thread. And, your anal retentive remarks helped Austin get voted in in the first place...good job. You gave the kid the biggest moment of his young life. Im sure he appreciates the learning experience.

Southpaw
So I guess you can't mention when a kid cries when he loses? Tell me what I have written about Austin that was not true. Have fun trying to find something.

Southpaw
05-03-2008, 11:57 PM
So I guess you can't mention when a kid cries when he loses? Tell me what I have written about Austin that was not true. Have fun trying to find something.

LOL...HE'S 14....ofcourse he cried. Its the biggest moment in his life so far. When kids lose at the Little League World Series, you see them cry too, but there isnt a jealous wanna-be standing there saying "look..they are crying...". True or not...its pretty classless of you to pick on a 14 year old kid.

Southpaw

Rubyron
05-04-2008, 12:00 AM
So many of the posts about this match are making excuses for Austin and it makes me laugh. The fact that I was not interested in voting for or watching Austin play somehow makes me an a**hole to some people. The comparison between Fedor and a 120 lb. high school freshman may be a little sarcastic but it is obviously realistic. If Austin is tough enough to ask for votes and thought he was tough enough to play the best then he can definately hear a realistic comparison about his match with Efren.

It's not the fact that you weren't interested in voting for or watching Austin play, I think it is the tone of some of your posts. You could make your point without being rude about it.

Maybe it is the fact that he is only 14 years old that it stuck a nerve with me. Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much if you would have started a thread entitled "If only the balls fell like Ralf's tears" after the 2006 World Pool Championship. I'm not comparing Austin and Ralf, I just think it isn't nice to start a thread like this about anyone losing.

bumpypickle
05-04-2008, 12:07 AM
It must really suck to be jealous of a 14 year old.....

Southpaw
So if I don't want to watch a 14 year old amateur play pool it's because I'm jealous? It could not be because I'm not intersested in watching a 14 YEAR OLD AMATEUR play pool. Are you in love with Austin or what? Do you want me to get his autograph for you the next time he is crying at California billiards after losing a match to a 40 speed? I can make it happen if you would like.

Southpaw
05-04-2008, 12:13 AM
So if I don't want to watch a 14 year old amateur play pool it's because I'm jealous? It could not be because I'm not intersested in watching a 14 YEAR OLD AMATEUR play pool. Are you in love with Austin or what? Do you want me to get his autograph for you the next time he is crying at California billiards after losing a match to a 40 speed? I can make it happen if you would like.

If you dont want to watch a 14 year old amateur play..then simply DONT WATCH. But dont come on here and degrade him. Austin was given the chance (thanks to you and your ass-inine comments) of a lifetime and Im sure he will learn from it for future matches. Most people on here would have given anything to have the opportunity that Austin did....Try and save some face and let it go....You are only showing your ignorance.

Southpaw

bumpypickle
05-04-2008, 12:15 AM
LOL...HE'S 14....ofcourse he cried. Its the biggest moment in his life so far. When kids lose at the Little League World Series, you see them cry too, but there isnt a jealous wanna-be standing there saying "look..they are crying...". True or not...its pretty classless of you to pick on a 14 year old kid.

Southpaw
OMG. You are the lamest.

bumpypickle
05-04-2008, 12:27 AM
If you dont want to watch a 14 year old amateur play..then simply DONT WATCH. But dont come on here and degrade him. Austin was given the chance (thanks to you and your ass-inine comments) of a lifetime and Im sure he will learn from it for future matches. Most people on here would have given anything to have the opportunity that Austin did....Try and save some face and let it go....You are only showing your ignorance.

Southpaw
It would be OK if I came on AZ and praised Austin right? But if I dare degrade him then it's a sin because it is a different opinion than yours. How many people have you contacted and said "you can't say anything good about Austin"? Keep up the Nazi forum patrol.

bumpypickle
05-04-2008, 12:40 AM
If another top pro had been beaten by the same score or worse [which is possibe it's efran of course] would you be running your IGNORANT mouth? remember if you don't have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.
Somebody is going to win. PRO vs. PRO there is still a loser. Did you actually write that I can't say anything negative about a person? YOU are the latest member of the "Nazi forum patrol". Thank goodness there are forum members like you to protect all the other forum members from opinions that might be different than your own. What a relief.

p1noy
05-04-2008, 12:56 AM

You're a ----> 8==D

jason
05-04-2008, 04:05 AM

I'm betting on Austin::)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm betting on Austin::) ;) :D

Southpaw
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
It would be OK if I came on AZ and praised Austin right? But if I dare degrade him then it's a sin because it is a different opinion than yours. How many people have you contacted and said "you can't say anything good about Austin"? Keep up the Nazi forum patrol.

I havent seen you say anything constructive about anyone in any of your posts...

Southpaw

jasonlaus
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I'll have a double whopper with cheese hold the pickle.

champ2107
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM

I will bottom line it for you ok since you quoted my post and I didnt say anything bad about you an u seem to need a wake up call! now I did vote but to tell you the truth I cant even remember who I voted! No i didnt vote austin because I had no clue who he was and if I did I still wouldnt have voted him because he has not grinded out life yet like the older top guys have and in my opinion did not deserve to be in the spot lite yet so early in his playing career, dues werent paid! my opinion.

Now you on the other hand are a insensitive jackass, oblivious to reality by kind of trashing a 14 year old!! Now if you respond to this in a negative way you are even more of an insensitive jackass then I thought! Think about what your posting whether its the truth or not!!