PDA

View Full Version : Cool Photos

Bigtruck
05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
If anyone hasn't seen Mike Haines & Bill Porter's Pool Photos you're missing a real treat.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE (http://billporter.smugmug.com/)

Joe Salazar, Mike Massey, Leonard Bludworth, Billy Incardona & more

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
If anyone hasn't seen Mike Haines & Bill Porter's Pool Photos you're missing a real treat.

Joe Salazar, Buddy Hall, Leonard Bludworth, Billy Incardona & more

That's Willie Elder (deceased) kneeling on the floor.

gopi-1
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
That's Willie Elder (deceased) kneeling on the floor.

You shouldn't have quoted Jay, it showed your age! :p

McKinneyMiner
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Looks kinda like Weenie Beenie (Bill Staton) directly behind Joe's cue...

mullyman
05-01-2008, 04:26 PM
That looks like a trick shot that Buddy is doing. Pop that 5 into the corner, draw back into the rail and then the heavy draw pulls it back to the 9 in the corner.

I was at a tournament in Cincinnati a few years back and everyone was trying to make that shot. I stepped up, did it the first time and haven't even come close since then. I've probably tried that shot a thousand times since then and I haven't been able to get the draw to take after the rail.
MULLY

JG-in-KY
05-01-2008, 04:50 PM
That looks like a trick shot that Buddy is doing. Pop that 5 into the corner, draw back into the rail and then the heavy draw pulls it back to the 9 in the corner.

I was at a tournament in Cincinnati a few years back and everyone was trying to make that shot. I stepped up, did it the first time and haven't even come close since then. I've probably tried that shot a thousand times since then and I haven't been able to get the draw to take after the rail.
MULLY
The shooter is actually the "Tennessee Tarzan" - Mike Massey. I agree, great photos!

mullyman
05-01-2008, 04:54 PM
The shooter is actually the "Tennessee Tarzan" - Mike Massey. I agree, great photos!

Oh my God, it is Mike Massey. HAHA!! I saw that hair and immediately thought of Buddy.
MULLY
is that Billy Incardona over on the far right?

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Mike's shooting a stroke shot where you make the object ball and draw the cue ball back to the side rail, above the side pocket. With extreme low left english the cue ball will bounce slightly off the rail and then return to the rail below the side pocket, and then run down table along the rail until it makes the other object ball in the corner. Only players with very powerful strokes are capable of making this shot.

bullshooter69
05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Great picture thanks for posting the link.

mullyman
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Mike's shooting a stroke shot where you make the object ball and draw the cue ball back to the side rail, above the side pocket. With extreme low left english the cue ball will bounce slightly off the rail and then return to the rail below the side pocket, and then run down table along the rail until it makes the other object ball in the corner. Only players with very powerful strokes are capable of making this shot.

Read my post above. I made this shot the first time I tried it and haven't be able to pull it off ever since. That was 10 years ago.
MULLY

ironman
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
That'Is tgats PLWillie Elder (deceased) kneeling on the floor.

Is that woman Geraldine Titcomb???? That woman could play, Best female player {except Jean} I ever saw.

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
You shouldn't have quoted Jay, it showed your age! :p

Hey this was only 20 odd years ago. I go back a helluva farther than that! :)

p1noy
05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice pic! I think I saw this shot from Paul Thornley...

dabarbr
05-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Looks kinda like Weenie Beenie (Bill Staton) directly behind Joe's cue...
He looks like Terry Bell to me.

Bigtruck
05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Richard Black in the center. Is that a young Johnny Archer on the right?

Ray

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Ray

That's not Johnny. Pretty sure that's Julie Hunter sitting down. The fat guy might be Gary Pinkowski.

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
He looks like Terry Bell to me.

You might be right about that. It definitely isn't Beenie.

dabarbr
05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
You might be right about that. It definitely isn't Beenie.
And is that Jersey Red standing behind him? Behind the post.

jay helfert
05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
And is that Jersey Red standing behind him? Behind the post.

It does look like Red, but something isn't quite right. He would never be standing alone watching a game. He always had people to talk to. They naturally flocked to Red.

Also looks a lot like Dave Bollman sitting down (behind Mike's right arm) with the blonde hair. I can't be sure. You can only see half his face.

Bigtruck
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Joe Salazar, Mike Massey, Leonard Bludworth, Billy Incardona & more

Don't miss the link to Bill's Albums. I could look at his pics for hours. It's interesting all the people you see in the background.

Ray

dabarbr
05-01-2008, 10:56 PM
It does look like Red, but something isn't quite right. He would never be standing alone watching a game. He always had people to talk to. They naturally flocked to Red.

Also looks a lot like Dave Bollman sitting down (behind Mike's right arm) with the blonde hair. I can't be sure. You can only see half his face.
That guy looks like Bill Stanton to me. How about the guy in the background between Massey and Bloodworth in the green shirt. Could that be Ed Kelly?

jay helfert
05-02-2008, 04:08 AM
That guy looks like Bill Stanton to me. How about the guy in the background between Massey and Bloodworth in the green shirt. Could that be Ed Kelly?

You know, I was thinking the same thing. The right size and the right lean. Funny the things you notice. Kelly stood like that when he was eyeing a shot. I know, I'm sick. ;)

BillPorter
05-02-2008, 05:01 AM

Ray
It's not Archer, it's "Blackjack" Dave Sapolis.

BillYards
05-02-2008, 05:08 AM

I watched Dan Louie practice this shot in Seattle back in 1997 or so and he made it look easy, like Mike.

The pool room attendant and I tried to make it and discovered that we had to use a bar cue (very stiff shaft) and hit it as hard as our break shots... and we got some of the action. We did not come close to making the hanger in the corner, but were sure excited when the cueball started backing-up a bit.

JMD in VA
05-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Isn't that Barry Behrman in the purple?

Looks kinda like him!

Bigtruck
05-02-2008, 06:10 AM

Bill,

I would like to extend a "thank you" to you & Mike Haines for documenting so much pool history. You'all have made one awesome contribution to pool.

I hope more people will see the benefit of photos in our current events.

Thank you,

Ray

Ps. Are your pics available for sale?

Patrick Johnson
05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
How many have ever seen the Pearl looking as youthful and innocent as he does here in the 1982 Dayton 9 Ball Open (his first big tournament win)? He almost looks like he wouldn't bite your head off for coughing while he's shooting...

pj
chgo

http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66137&stc=1&d=1209734763

Blackjack
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM

... yeah... back when I was thin and all of my hair was the same color... lol

BillPorter
05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Isn't that Barry Behrman in the purple?

Looks kinda like him!
Yes, that is Barry.

Pushout
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
The fat guy might be Gary Pinkowski.

I'd say not. The face and hair color don't look quite right. And by face, I mean the features.

jay helfert
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I'd say not. The face and hair color don't look quite right. And by face, I mean the features.

I may have missed that one. I knew Gary pretty well, and it kinda looked like him. Yep, pretty sure it's Barry B. in front there. The Asian guy on the right almost looks like Dan Louie too, but I can't be sure.

DTL
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Bigtruck
05-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Is that Greg Sullivan in the yellow?

Stones
05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
BigTruck,

You probably won't believe this but that's me sitting in the stands watching Mike hit shots I only dreamed about making! What a stroke!

Clean shaven and skinny! WOW! That was a few days ago!

I didn't leave the building for 4 days! ACTION CENTRAL!

Bill, thanks for the memories!

Bigtruck
05-03-2008, 06:17 AM
BigTruck,

You probably won't believe this but that's me sitting in the stands watching Mike hit shots I only dreamed about making! What a stroke!

Clean shaven and skinny! WOW! That was a few days ago!

I didn't leave the building for 4 days! ACTION CENTRAL!

Bill, thanks for the memories!

Damn Stones!!! Its crazy how time flies. I never would've spotted ya.

Ray

BillPorter
05-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Is that Greg Sullivan in the yellow?
Yes, that is Greg Sullivan in the yellow shirt. We sent Greg 3-4 images from the old days that showed him in his younger days. Here's one from the 1980 Florida Open with Gred shooting.

http://billporter.smugmug.com/photos/232514433_vUuDV-XL-3.jpg

jay helfert
05-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Yes, that is Greg Sullivan in the yellow shirt. We sent Greg 3-4 images from the old days that showed him in his younger days. Here's one from the 1980 Florida Open with Gred shooting.

http://billporter.smugmug.com/photos/232514433_vUuDV-XL-3.jpg

He hasn't changed a bit. :)
He looked just like that when I played him in Vegas a couple of months ago. The dirty rat!

Cuebuddy
05-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Is that a fuzzy Howard Vickery behind Greg?

jay helfert
05-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Is that a fuzzy Howard Vickery behind Greg?

Man, you got good eyes. And it could be Swanee sitting next to him.

JAM
05-03-2008, 08:18 AM

BigTruck, there's a horse running today at the Kentucky Derby named "Big Truck."

He's 50-to-1 odds, but if I had a horse with my name
in the biggest horse race of the whole world, I'd be betting on him! :D

JAM

Blackjack
05-03-2008, 08:28 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/80spicture.jpg

Is that Kathy Miao sitting in the chair?

BillPorter
05-03-2008, 09:38 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/80spicture.jpg

Is that Kathy Miao sitting in the chair?
Dave, yes, that's Kathy Miao in the chair. This quote is from the caption under that image in our Smugmug gallery: "Cathy Miao. A guest commented to say that Greg Sullivan can be seen smiling on the second row. The guest also pointed out Mike Sardelli right behind Cathy Miao and Larry Ross (owner of Hall of Fame Billiards in Detroit) next to him."

Cuebuddy
05-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Man, you got good eyes. And it could be Swanee sitting next to him.
Thanks for the compliment but my constant missing of cut shots tell me otherwise;)

Bigtruck
05-03-2008, 11:56 AM
BigTruck, there's a horse running today at the Kentucky Derby named "Big Truck."

He's 50-to-1 odds, but if I had a horse with my name
in the biggest horse race of the whole world, I'd be betting on him! :D

JAM

That's the same odds I have of winning a tournament with 40 players! Hehe.
Jenny,

I had the opportunity to meet Keith at the Turning Stone back in 2006. He signed my 7yr old daughter's T-Shirt. He was gonna take a picture too, but she found him scary and wouldn't cooperate.:D. Were you there?

Ray

Bigtruck
05-03-2008, 12:03 PM