PDA

View Full Version : How foolish?

jongreve
05-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm trying to learn this silly little game of one-pocket.

Mostly a 9-ball "player" I can get out regulary with 5-6 balls if there isn't too much trouble (balls tied up). I have some fine safetys in my arsenal, though speed control isn't always spot on. I've broke and ran back to back racks several times in the past, but never have I been able to do 3.

Back to this one-pocket thingy...
I've found an old roadie to kindly take my money for $5 a game, he helps me some, and I am improving. I usually end the "training session" down $40 and he often pays time ($7 / hr).

Why is it that other players think I am foolish to "give away" money, when I simply see it as paying for lessons?

Its not like I'm spending my grocery money...

selftaut
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Its not foolish, its the old fashioned way :)

junksecret
05-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Mostly a 9-ball "player" I can get out regulary with 5-6 balls if there isn't too much trouble (balls tied up). I have some fine safetys in my arsenal, though speed control isn't always spot on. I've broke and ran back to back racks several times in the past, but never have I been able to do 3.

I've found an old roadie to kindly take my money for $5 a game, he helps me some, and I am improving. I usually end the "training session" down $40 and he often pays time ($7 / hr).

Why is it that other players think I am foolish to "give away" money, when I simply see it as paying for lessons?

I guess there might be another way but the "school of hard knocks" is how most of us learned (and still do) to play better.

When I was 15 the owner thought (rightly so) that it was bad business to beat a kid and customer outta his money so he played me 1-pocket for 10 a game (push-ups) heads up and after a few games my arms were like noodles and he would just crush me worse...:) It did however get me to "pay" attention....:)

Hmmmmm, I wonder why I'm not "buff" after ALL those push-ups???

Joe

ugotactionTX
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
If he REALLY knows the game...that's about as cheap a lesson as you could ask for, especially if he'll offer advice and analysis on what you're doing. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you could learn VERY quickly. I play a local buddy of mine that plays really good 1hole. we play cheap games and split the time. I have learned more from him than just about anyone else, a lot of which I can also apply to the other games. 1pkt is kind of a different animal. The subtlety involved in this game is really incredible, much of which can only be learned through years and years and years of playing, or from someone that really knows how to move and will enlighten you. good luck!

jongreve
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
If he REALLY knows the game...that's about as cheap a lesson as you could ask for, especially if he'll offer advice and analysis on what you're doing. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you could learn VERY quickly. I play a local buddy of mine that plays really good 1hole. we play cheap games and split the time. I have learned more from him than just about anyone else, alot of which I can also apply to the other games. 1pkt is kind of a different animal. The subtlty involved in this game is really incredible, much of which can only be leared through years and years and years of playing, or from someone that really knows how to move and will enlighten you. good luck!

He used to play people like Ronnie Allen and Buddy Hall back in his playing days, those are good enough credentials for me.

And I do love the cheap

Johnnyt
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
If your enjoying it and you know your improving, I say the price is right. About how many hours @$7 hour are you playing on an average training sesion? And don't forget those old roadies have to eat too;) Johnnyt

jongreve
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
If your enjoying it and you know your improving, I say the price is right. About how many hours @$7 hour are you playing on an average training sesion? And don't forget those old roadies have to eat too;) Johnnyt

usually 2hrs, 3 on my good days

I do realize that in time I'll have to ask for a spot and up the ante, but it all seems fair to me.

androd
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

pay attention, ask questions, use your imagination, learn to love the game. sounds like your opponent is a sport if he pays your time.

td873
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM

[...]

First: who cares what other players think?

Second: you can get plenty of info on how to play 1-HJ onlline (try here (www.onepocket.org). Also, take some of your "donation" and buy some one-pocket materials. I suggest Willie Jopling's videos. They are great. Also, try Shots Moves and Strategies.

When you have enough shots in your arsenal, you'll be a much better player. And it's easier to win when you have options. You don't need to play $5 a game to learn more shots...

-td