PDA

View Full Version : Friendly wager for BCA team event?

Alex Kanapilly
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Anyone want to bet on who's team will get further in the open team event?

I'm willing to make a few small bets against other teams, or maybe we can start a pool if there's enough interest.

Alex Kanapilly
05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Anyone? There's got to be someone here who thinks their team will finish high, right?

Jude Rosenstock
05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
My team (NYPT) finished 17th last year. We played well and had some fortunate rolls so there's no telling how things will go this time around. I would be very excited if we could repeat the performance.

EDIT: I shouldn't say MY team. I will say, the team I am graced to be on.

Milo
05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
What about the womens master team event? Ill pick the N.P.L. Chix out of the Pacific NW. (wash. and ore.) Let me know if and how much you wanna bet. (btw, its the team I play on.)

erica
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll bite back!

For the women's masters event, I say the NY Dolls take it down.... friendly wager????

Tin Man
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Alex-

I'll make a sweat bet. I would like to bet $100 myself, and I have a team mate that would like to do the same. It's up to you, 1-200.

Please pm me and we can work out the details. I would be happy to meet you face to face. I'll be in Vegas tomorrow for the 9 ball singles and around until you beat our team in the team open.......

Thanks!

Tin Man

Milo
05-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Erica, I sent you a pm.

Jude Rosenstock
05-17-2008, 10:36 AM
NYPT finished 9th this year. Sigh.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Anybody else?

frankncali
05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Anybody else?

We finished 129th. Ran into a pretty good team and lost our first one
and then everyone seemed to have an off day in our second loss.

A friends team finished 5-6 in a tough loss to a good team from Michigan.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
We finished 129th. Ran into a pretty good team and lost our first one
and then everyone seemed to have an off day in our second loss.

A friends team finished 5-6 in a tough loss to a good team from Michigan.

What was the name of your friend's team?

frankncali
05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
What was the name of your friend's team?

"Nobody" I believe

9Ball_JJ
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
My team had a decent tournament but just didn't get anything started in our 2nd loss. Of course, this was after we got word from back home that we lost a close friend of our team. That just took the wind out of our sails and we all wanted to go home. I don't remember our exact place that we got, but we cashed $300 which we donated for the funeral expenses of our friend.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
"Nobody" I believe

We didn't play them. I remember seeing the Michigan team on the other side of the bracket and I believe they were in the Finals when I left for the bar.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 09:17 AM
My team had a decent tournament but just didn't get anything started in our 2nd loss. Of course, this was after we got word from back home that we lost a close friend of our team. That just took the wind out of our sails and we all wanted to go home. I don't remember our exact place that we got, but we cashed $300 which we donated for the funeral expenses of our friend.

Wow, I'm sorry for your loss.

frankncali
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
We didn't play them. I remember seeing the Michigan team on the other side of the bracket and I believe they were in the Finals when I left for the bar.

I watched many of the top 8 or so teams left. I was surprised to see that
many of them were in the Open class. The Michigan team really surprised me by being an Open team but then again so did my friends team.

I am still not sure how it works moving up to Masters from the Open level in team play.

I ran into a few AZers. Wish I would have met more with you being one of those. The AZ room was nice and a good place to get away.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 09:30 AM
I am still not sure how it works moving up to Masters from the Open level in team play.

LOL, it's a complete joke. It's a nice effort to filter out past winners but the field is still littered with great players.

McKinneyMiner
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
LOL, it's a complete joke. It's a nice effort to filter out past winners but the field is still littered with great players.

Tang Hoa was playing on a team from CA last year on the table next to ours...

That would be U.S. Open Runner-Up and all-around great player Tang Hoa.

I have no idea how they determine who can play in the Open and who can't.

GG11
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Kiss of Death girls Open Team finished 9th-12th. WOOPEE!!! It was a great time!! So sad I have to wait a whole nother year for it to all happen again!!

Got to meet a couple of AZers! Hey CueChick! Great 3rd Place finish for her team Redrum!!

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Kiss of Death girls Open Team finished 9th-12th. WOOPEE!!! It was a great time!! So sad I have to wait a whole nother year for it to all happen again!!

Got to meet a couple of AZers! Hey CueChick! Great 3rd Place finish for her team Redrum!!

Yeah, I can't say I'm going again next year. NYPT is now Master Team and I can't see going for Master Team event. What's more, I can't see going with a better group of guys.

satman
05-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Sorry about the loss of your friend. In 2004, I was getting inducted into the Hall of Fame for VNEA. I had a close friend who had cancer. He was getting really weak, but insisted that no matter what, he was coming to Vegas to see it. Died 2 weeks before. It was a sad time for everyone from our charter. We got little American flag pins, and put his initials on them. It would have been much worse if he'd died while we were there.
Very nice of you guys to donate to the funeral expenses.

Darth
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
The top six finishers in open teams have to play in the masters the following year providing they keep three or more original team members. Our team finished 5th three years ago and played in the masters the next year. Our first draw was Darrin Appletons team. Darrin won the grand masters singles and three of his team mates finished 1,3 and 5 in the masters singles. They won the flip and broke and ran the first set. We returned the favor the next set. They did it again in set #3 and we tied it up 10/10 the 4th set. We lost it 13-11. Darrins team finished second to Young Guns. Our team lost another nail biter 13-12 to Green Machine from Alberta. The payouts are very crappy for the high level of play needed to compete at the masters level.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 01:01 PM
The top six finishers in open teams have to play in the masters the following year providing they keep three or more original team members.

Actually, top 16 get moved to Masters. However, you're right. It's a ton of work for little money. I made the suggestion a few times. The team entry fee should be $500 MINIMUM. I would probably really like it if it were 1k.

klockdoc
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Tang Hoa was playing on a team from CA last year on the table next to ours...

That would be U.S. Open Runner-Up and all-around great player Tang Hoa.

I have no idea how they determine who can play in the Open and who can't.

Yes, We gave Tang Ho's team their first loss this year, 2nd round play. (I think they got a bye the first round).

I thought they would have finished higher than they did. They had a lot of great players on their team.

I think Tang only got 3 wins out of 5. Most were break and runs.

watchez
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Best Line I heard in the tournament was in the Team Master's event - the player on the other team is jacked up over a ball that is in the jaws, he shoots & the ball falls into the pocket. I tell him it is a foul because if you are jacked up over a ball and move the ball you are jacked up over, that obviously helps you make the object ball.

His response - "If the ref didn't see it, it is not a foul".

I told him thanks for making my point that you agree it is a foul but he still wouldn't do what was right.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Best Line I heard in the tournament was in the Team Master's event - the player on the other team is jacked up over a ball that is in the jaws, he shoots & the ball falls into the pocket. I tell him it is a foul because if you are jacked up over a ball and move the ball you are jacked up over, that obviously helps you make the object ball.

I told him thanks for making my point that you agree it is a foul but he still wouldn't do what was right.

While I'm not sure I agree with your ruling, I was floored to hear about a similar situation at the event. One guy in the singles event was stretched out over the table and had his shirt COVERING a ball. The ref said, "Well, the ball didn't move so it's okay."

frankncali
05-19-2008, 01:51 PM
While I'm not sure I agree with your ruling, I was floored to hear about a similar situation at the event. One guy in the singles event was stretched out over the table and had his shirt COVERING a ball. The ref said, "Well, the ball didn't move so it's okay."

I thought that two balls had to move for it to be a foul.

A rule change that I think needs to be made is if a team plays the wrong player then it should be a forfeit.

We had a team put up the wrong player. He broke made a couple then tried to leave my teammate hard.
He made the ball and did all the hard work and gets two balls before the 8. They stop it and say that they put up the wrong guy. Ref says that the game starts over with them breaking.

IMO thats a stupid rule. If you play the wrong guy it should be a loss.

frankncali
05-19-2008, 01:54 PM

At a tournament a couple years ago at Hollywood Billiards this came up...

80% of the room didnt know that even in "cueball fouls only" that touching a ball that you are jacked up over when shooting is a foul.

A large debate about it happened. My thought was who determines what portion of the ball has to be blocking for this rule to come into effect.

I once had a girl jacked up over a ball and on her backswing she pulled the ball back out of the way and then shot the shot. All in one quick move.
It was ruled legal.

yobagua
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Jude,
Is your team the one with Steve Lipsky on it? I love seeing all you New Yorkers in Vegas. Actually you guys look kind of wierd out of your element in Sunny Las Vegas. Im so used to seeing you in the confines of Amsterdam. Playing that 14.1 stuff. Congrats!

cuechick
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks G, you guys had a great finish and I am sorry we did not meet up (Or maybe I should be glad!;) )

I am looking forward to playing in the Masters next year. I actually think it is a little easier and the Women's has the round robin format which guarantees everyone gets to play a lot. We would have been playing in it next year anyway, our 2nd master did not make this trip, cause she is having a baby.

I have to say I am pretty proud of my girls, except for myself and one other player, none had ever played in the team event and they just showed a lot of heart!

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought that two balls had to move for it to be a foul.

A rule change that I think needs to be made is if a team plays the wrong player then it should be a forfeit.

We had a team put up the wrong player. He broke made a couple then tried to leave my teammate hard.
He made the ball and did all the hard work and gets two balls before the 8. They stop it and say that they put up the wrong guy. Ref says that the game starts over with them breaking.

IMO thats a stupid rule. If you play the wrong guy it should be a loss.

Yes, two balls but the guy was ALLOWED to just lay over a ball. I mean, what's that?

ScottW
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey CC:

You and Curtis play the scotch doubles yet, or is it later in the week?

Oh and if he's not shooting well in general, kick him in the junk.

:D

(Oh and clear some PMs.)

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Jude,
Is your team the one with Steve Lipsky on it? I love seeing all you New Yorkers in Vegas. Actually you guys look kind of wierd out of your element in Sunny Las Vegas. Im so used to seeing you in the confines of Amsterdam. Playing that 14.1 stuff. Congrats!

Yep, that's our team. Thank you. It was a great run. I think we had 4 hill-hill matches (not unlike last year).

Milo
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Want to thank erica for coming up to me right after the NY team lost and got third. Erica, that was a class act. You paid me right away and with a smile. It was very nice meeting you.
My team had the hot seat. We were all very excited to be in that position.
But the team from Ill. beat us twice.(13-11 and 13-8) It was a heartbreaker. Instead of beating myself up forever, Im going to take the loss and learn from it. We are coming back next year!!!! I will be ready.
I am very happy with second. The Ill. team played great. They deserved first place. It was a wonderful experience!!!!! Vegas Rocks!!!!

Andrea Saenz Maes

9Ball_JJ
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks to Jude and Satman for the kind words. And congrats to Satman on the great finish in the singles event.

It was great to meet the few AZ'ers that I actually met, even if Jimmy M kicked my butt in the AZB tourney. I wish I could've met everyone else that was there.

Alex Kanapilly
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Yep, that's our team. Thank you. It was a great run. I think we had 4 hill-hill matches (not unlike last year).

You were on his team this year? I went went over and said hi to him when his team was playing another Denver team. I asked if there were any other AZBers on his team and he said no. I would have introduced myself.

We ended up tied for 65th. I really feel we had another couple of rounds in us (who doesn't) but we couldn't click as a team. When two or three of us played good, the other two would play bad.

We lost to a Michigan team for our first loss, they were pretty good but we gave them 6-7 games by blowing run outs. Of course they gave us a few back, the 3 games I won in that match were blown run outs by them. I guess it all evens out.

I really like the rack your own rule and the new 2 ball foul rule. As always I enjoyed it.

Kind of off topic, I played poker with Efren and he beat me on the river for a small pot. I had a King high flush and he drew quad 2's on me. Ouch. Luckily he only had $31 left to call my bet otherwise I would have lost a lot more. Guess what he said after he won?

rossaroni
05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Kind of off topic, I played poker with Efren and he beat me on the river for a small pot. I had a King high flush and he drew quad 2's on me. Ouch. Luckily he only had $31 left to call my bet otherwise I would have lost a lot more. Guess what he said after he won?

You suck? ;)

Alex Kanapilly
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
You suck? ;)

Uh... no. Guess again.

watchez
05-19-2008, 04:15 PM
You bet into a guy with a pair on the board and not even the nut flush?

I knew I should have found the time to sit at those tables.

frankncali
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Alex Kanapilly]Uh... no. Guess again.

I get lucky !! :D

What do I win???

Alex Kanapilly
05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Alex Kanapilly]Uh... no. Guess again.

I get lucky !! :D

What do I win???

That's it! Unfortunately nothing. I'm broke. I do suck.

Alex Kanapilly
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
You bet into a guy with a pair on the board and not even the nut flush?

I knew I should have found the time to sit at those tables.

I bet into him after the flop and the turn when there was only one 2 showing. But yes, I would have bet after the 2 came on the river if he hadn't gone all in already. I guess that's why I suck at that game.:)

cuechick
05-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey CC:

You and Curtis play the scotch doubles yet, or is it later in the week?

Oh and if he's not shooting well in general, kick him in the junk.

:D

(Oh and clear some PMs.)

SD is the first event and we finished one out of the money, it was fun though and we played better than last year. we all got home sunday. My pm box is cleared now.

Jude Rosenstock
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
You were on his team this year? I went went over and said hi to him when his team was playing another Denver team. I asked if there were any other AZBers on his team and he said no. I would have introduced myself.

We ended up tied for 65th. I really feel we had another couple of rounds in us (who doesn't) but we couldn't click as a team. When two or three of us played good, the other two would play bad.

We lost to a Michigan team for our first loss, they were pretty good but we gave them 6-7 games by blowing run outs. Of course they gave us a few back, the 3 games I won in that match were blown run outs by them. I guess it all evens out.

I really like the rack your own rule and the new 2 ball foul rule. As always I enjoyed it.

Yes, about a minute after you walked away, Steve looked at me and said, "Oh shit, I forgot you're an az'er!" and told me about how you stopped by. We were so busy after that, I completely forgot about it. Honestly, the whole tournament was a complete blur. So many close matches and tough opponents! It was a pleasant surprise to do so well in back-to-back years. If I'm there next year, I'll look for you.