Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > Lonestar_jim
Reload this Page Texas open
Rate this Entry

Texas open

Posted 08-29-2013 at 11:07 AM by Lonestar_jim
Updated 08-30-2013 at 08:00 AM by Lonestar_jim

Labor day weekend in Texas has meant 9-ball in Austin for the last 40 years as I've been told. 128 players of all skill levels converge to match-up in an open event to crown the state's best of the best for men and women. In the recent past a few out of state players have finished at the top, as all are welcome to play.

This will be my first time to play in the event and i look forward to the competition. I will be bringing advanced weaponry of pocket billiards. I went to a friend's last night and repossessed a shaft and tip tool. Seriously though I am playing with an Eelskin medium now and just think it is great. They tell me it is the poor man's version of another popular series of harder tips. I don't wish tip trouble on my opponents, but if theirs gets damaged I will be quick to recommend a triangle or Lepro and keep the Eelskins for myself.

In addition to weapons, my girlfriend Janna Preston will be playing in the ladies Texas open event, which is race to 7 on both brackets of the board. Janna will surely bring her own array of weaponry to parse her opponents. I'm sure she will be all business, even though she knows a lot of these gals from league and tournament play. For $25 bucks to watch, it seemed like a good investment to pay a little more and get to play in it.

The promoters and house have agreed to ban cigars at this event and allow only the cigarette smoking, which we all know is hardly discernible from fresh air ? LOL. I have lit cigars in many events only to be told by non-smokers that they would rather be near cigar smoke than cigarette smoke. Of course this may have been a form of reverse psychology.

I have been to Skinny Bob's pool hall once before when it was named G-cue's billiards. It was a nice pool hall with one open area large enough to accommodate 3 or 4 poker tables. Am I remembering it correctly ? With such limited amount of space, I assume I will sit in the bleachers a lot or just stand. I am hopeful that Lewis (TD) can give some WAG match start times that will allow me to come and go. If I find myself on the L side of the boars, that will not be an option I suppose. Either side of the bracket I hope that the A/C does not crap out, but if it does I know that will give me the advantage. Reasons are not important.

I plan to arrive Friday night for the player meeting and get a few games in on the tables. I have heard very little about a ring game, but I assume there will be one. This might be good to watch or sweat. I hear there is a Salt Lick in Round Rock, so I hope to try that during the stay in the area. Good shooting to all of you that plan to play it. See you there.

Edit: Tip name is Ultraskin, not Eelskin. Either way it sounds like a condom.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1518 Comments 0 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments