Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs
Reload this Page Blog Entries
Old

Quest for 200, day one

Posted 05-18-2018 at 04:39 PM by Straightpool_99

Well the results are in, and they are not good!

Spent 2.5 hours at the pool hall. Broke 50 only once. I'm disgusted. I recon at this point I'm as far away from running 200 as I am from running 100 meters in under 10 seconds! But I also think I can fix it, I just need more time.

Problem: My stroke has suffered more than I feared. My draw is weak and I can't stroke the breakshots with confidence, because I jerk the forward swing. TERRIBLE. I also think I'm not playing...
I see dead balls
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 94 Comments 0 Straightpool_99 is offline Edit Tags
Old

Quest for 200

Posted 05-17-2018 at 02:02 AM by Straightpool_99

Well, the first day didn't go as planned. Couldn't even get started properly before I was interrupted by a phone call and had to leave. The short warm-up session showed me something important, though. I missed a couple of shots by throwing them out of the pocket. Otherwise my stroke seemed to not have suffered too much from my lay-off. Touch was decent, draw lacked a bit of power, otherwise ok.

In order to run 200, all such English-misses must be avoided. For my first REAL training...
I see dead balls
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 82 Comments 0 Straightpool_99 is offline Edit Tags
Old

Respect Finally

Posted 05-16-2018 at 10:04 AM by Nostroke
Updated Yesterday at 01:57 PM by Nostroke

In 9th grade, due to some academic and disciplinary problems occurring at a Catholic school, i had to switch to a Public School. Ninth grade was the last year of Jr High back then and i was the new guy thrust in with kids who had gone to school together for two years minimum, and many who had been together since kindergarten.

All the “cool kids” dressed in the style of the day whereas previously i had worn a school uniform. I didn’t have any cool clothes and no way...
TooCoolForTheRoom
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 125 Comments 0 Nostroke is offline Edit Tags
Old

My efforts to become a 200 ball runner, the (re)beginning

Posted 05-15-2018 at 10:10 PM by Straightpool_99

A few months ago I announced on the forum that I was quitting pool. Well, I'm an addict and I had no chance. I must accept what I cannot change. I've bought back my cue and I'm ready to start anew.

Status: Haven't touched cue in about 6 months, and my game was on the downslide way before that. No idea where it is at this moment. Physically, I'm middle-aged, flabby and not in good shape. Neither of those facts are acceptable.

Goal of day one: Run 50 balls. Modest, but...
I see dead balls
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 96 Comments 0 Straightpool_99 is offline Edit Tags
Old

Worst er ever?

Posted 05-04-2018 at 06:58 AM by Nostroke
Updated 05-15-2018 at 07:31 AM by Nostroke

WORST ER EVER?
This past Tuesday 4/17, I fell and broke my elbow/arm (hairline fracture), tripping over one of those ‘manhole covers’ in a gas station within 30 yds of my home. The covers were raised at least an inch off the surface. Admittedly, the one that got me may have been painted orange (There were several in the area- both painted and unpainted) but 2 cars were coming at me from 2 different directions and my attention was on them. After my foot made direct contact with the cover....
Attached Images

TooCoolForTheRoom
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 227 Comments 0 Nostroke is offline Edit Tags
Old

Very Rare Gus Szamboti Purpleheart Cue

Posted 04-17-2018 at 12:13 PM by acho7

!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acho7 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Very Rare Gus Szamboti Purpleheart Cue

"Gus Szamboti Cue: SW 19.6 oz. 3 original shafts: 2 are 12 3/4 mm in very good condition; 1 is 13 mm in very good to excellent condition. This particular cue is very rare for several reasons. The cue is all original, meaning that Gus Szamboti is the only cue maker to do any work on this cue. The shafts, finish, and
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 292 Comments 0 acho7 is offline Edit Tags
Old

Cliff Joyner recover fund raising efforts

Posted 04-11-2018 at 01:26 PM by perfectpocketz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Hillbilly View Post
Hey everybody, for those of you who don't know, one pocket legend Cliff Joyner suffered a stroke during the Scotty Townsend Memorial. He survived but there was extensive damage. He started a fund raising account to help with his rehabilitation but it is very expensive. Any little bit you can spare helps him get closer to a full recovery. Please click the link below and donate what you can. Thank you.
https://www.youcaring.com/cliffjoyner-1139046
Hillbilly.....thanks brother...
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 316 Comments 0 perfectpocketz is offline Edit Tags
Old

Chinese Pool World Championship (LIVE)

Posted 03-29-2018 at 07:44 AM by Pamela83

Have the rounds already been played today? If not, does anyone have a link to today's matches?
AzB Gold Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 366 Comments 0 Pamela83 is offline Edit Tags
Old

1.8 Million DACA Amnesty on the Table.

Posted 01-26-2018 at 01:21 PM by sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabrake View Post
Trump really only said he'd be the Greatest Job Creator President ever so I guess we didn't think he'd fail with illegal immigration
Amnesty for DACA folks who grew up here and a deporting the rest while building the wall. I’m ok with that.

Most of his toughest illegal immigration stances were exaggerated by the media to paint him as a racist.
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1033 Comments 1 sixpack is offline Edit Tags
Old

FS: 7ft Diamond Professional Blue Label

Posted 01-23-2018 at 12:23 PM by pocketsplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsplitter View Post
Hi all,

I am selling this gorgeous table. VERY new (delivered from Diamond in October) 7 foot Diamond professional BLUE label (not the Pro-am). Green simonis, still plays like new. Comes with cyclop balls (new version) and the diamond triangle. Located in New York.
Text me at 305-562-5100 for info or pics and your best offer. NEW CONDITION, only thinking of selling to pay for my wedding. Thanks AZB!
Bump for a great table
Attached Images

AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 381 Comments 0 pocketsplitter is offline Edit Tags
Old

A chink in the armor of Fargorate

Posted 01-15-2018 at 08:15 AM by bryanlee

Ok here is my 2 cents and what i have seen of the fargo rating so far... This is the thing with me. I can only shoot in 2 tournaments a week that report to fargo. One of the tournaments I have to leave early every week so I play a match or two and go. The other tournament I usually win fairly easy. That being said the only reason I go to those tournaments is to have enough points to shoot in the state finals. I am a 529 fargo with only 414 robustness.. Everyone I play says I am grossly underrated...
Banned
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 488 Comments 0 bryanlee is offline Edit Tags
Old

N"E"FS Gallery

Posted 01-14-2018 at 10:57 AM by bryanlee

Not very high end cues but these are the three I will never part with... Sl-5 Schon and two custom Jacoby's [ATTACH]335[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Banned
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 391 Comments 0 bryanlee is offline Edit Tags
Old

Anniversay restore

Posted 12-26-2017 at 09:26 PM by perfectpocketz

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Asking that is like when AZB members ask me how much i charge for my rebuilds, to which i always respond, "if you're going to ask me publicly, then it's out of your price range"
Here’s and Centennial LED light I make.....Attachment 332

Attachment 333

Attachment 334

Mark Gregory
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 733 Comments 1 perfectpocketz is offline Edit Tags
Old

Anniversay restore

Posted 12-26-2017 at 09:25 PM by perfectpocketz

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Asking that is like when AZB members ask me how much i charge for my rebuilds, to which i always respond, "if you're going to ask me publicly, then it's out of your price range"
Here’s and Centennial LED light I make.....Name:  E048D8A9-C353-4C53-B9A4-B2734A7BBE56.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  189.4 KB

Name:  4C99D980-1634-4AF3-832C-822F83337045.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  15F2B206-8764-4507-8BCF-6463B7E20952.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  173.9 KB

Mark Gregory
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 443 Comments 0 perfectpocketz is offline Edit Tags
Old

Woodworth Cue with two shafts "Excellent Condition" Matching joint protectors

Posted 12-20-2017 at 03:22 PM by Flatwoodsflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatwoodsflash View Post
This cue is in excellent condition.
Looking to sale or trade. I also have a Brown Ostrich Whitten case 2x4 in great condition that I would like to sale or trade of equal value.
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 462 Comments 0 Flatwoodsflash is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Most Miserable Doctor on Earth

Posted 11-04-2017 at 08:47 AM by Nostroke
Updated 11-09-2017 at 03:09 AM by Nostroke

I went to see this Dr for a stomach issue maybe 15 years ago. A relative was seeing him so i gave him a shot. The appointment was for 8AM and i walked in there with my morning coffee and he called me into his office. I sat in front of his desk and put my completely dry paper cup of coffee on it.

He went nuts-yelled something at me and left the room to get a towel to wipe up nothing-literally nothing-zero moisture. While he was out there I heard him say to his Secty “Next thing you...
TooCoolForTheRoom
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 962 Comments 0 Nostroke is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Ogre of Palm Beach County

Posted 11-04-2017 at 08:41 AM by Nostroke
Updated Yesterday at 10:45 AM by Nostroke

In my early years wintering in Fla, i rented an efficiency from an old guy in his 80’s named Chet. He was an ex engineer who had specialized in heat carrying pipes and their couplings. Brilliant guy who still had it in many ways but who also had a bit of dementia in other areas.

Evidently Chet had previously rented his place to a bunch of criminals who used his garage to store stolen furniture. When they were caught, after a chase, the neighborhood (a good one) was filled with police...
TooCoolForTheRoom
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 505 Comments 0 Nostroke is offline Edit Tags
Old

Billy Thorpe beats Wu 11-1

Posted 10-23-2017 at 09:04 AM by TATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum View Post
Welcome to the U.S. Open Mr. Wu!
Wow, but it's not over yet. Wu is Jay's horse.
AzB Gold Mensch
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 603 Comments 0 TATE is offline Edit Tags
Old

Womens US Ameteur

Posted 10-14-2017 at 02:17 PM by Rhea (On the Road with Rhea)

Playing in the Womens US Ameteur Championships for a chance to compete in my first WPBA Masters event next year.
FargoRate 548
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 813 Comments 1 Rhea is offline Edit Tags
Old

Chohan V Orcollo October 5 –8

Posted 10-10-2017 at 08:45 AM by barrymuch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This match calls for a decisive third match. Tony beat Dennis 11-6 from the point where the score stood at 34-22 Dennis. He may have found out how to win, just a little too late.
Idk jay if I were Tony's camp I'd be pretty hesitant to bet against Dennis any time soon. Even tho Tony is by far my favorite one pocket player in a race to 40 against Dennis I don't think he has more than a 25% chance to win. I think the main reason he won the first match was in part to Dennis playing w a...
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 502 Comments 0 barrymuch90 is offline Edit Tags
Old

November itinerary

Posted 09-24-2017 at 08:27 AM by Rhea (On the Road with Rhea)

After a long needed hiatus, I have secured a spot in the US Ameteur in Tampa Florida this Nov 8-9.

I will also be playing in an exhibition match at Lindenwood University this Nov 4th.

Time to start practicing on 9 footers again.
FargoRate 548
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 825 Comments 0 Rhea is offline Edit Tags
Old

WTB: Hoppe Tascarella

Posted 08-23-2017 at 01:30 PM by XPLAYHARDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmendoza View Post
I need Tascarella Hoppe msut be full shafts. paypal ready! contact me at 831.673.1092 for faster transaction! thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Hi where are you located???
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 878 Comments 0 XPLAYHARDX is offline Edit Tags
Old

You haven't been playing much, have you?

Posted 08-19-2017 at 07:35 PM by blah blah
Updated 08-26-2017 at 10:32 AM by blah blah

Went to the pool hall to watch a major annual tournament. The first person I spoke with was a player from the Bay Area, whom I haven't seen in years. He said, "you haven't been playing much lately, have you?" I admitted this was true, and asked how he knew...
"You have a tan."
Shoebat
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 554 Comments 0 blah blah is offline Edit Tags
Old

How to Make a Fair Pool Bet between Strangers?

Posted 06-06-2017 at 09:04 AM by sixpack
Updated 06-06-2017 at 09:09 AM by sixpack

Deleted.....
AzB Silver Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3605 Comments 0 sixpack is offline Edit Tags
Old

VNEA Rules Question

Posted 05-08-2017 at 04:14 PM by Blaine B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Like the unwritten rule that if a player tries what player A apparently did he is banned for life from the league.

But seriously, I think either the ref wasn't paying attention during the course or the VNEA has some real bad rules problems.
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that BCA rules were applied in a VNEA division, but the ref is still standing by their decision which they seem to have pulled freshly from their rectum.
It's been escalated,.i have an email in...
Clueless
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1754 Comments 0 Blaine B. is offline Edit Tags
Page 1 of 47 1 2311 Last »