ok How to deal with not playing the same as we used to...

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have been playing like a complete retard and its getting to the point that I feel i am wasting my time any more... let me explain

Well a couple of months ago. I competed in and won a APA singles mini event which is 1 step away from going to vegas. beating a guy who won the vegas trip last year. after this It seems that my playing has gone down the toilet, I started playing on a new team this session, and have not won a single match yet. I am 0-6 and I have never been lower than .500 since I started playing. I feel like a burden to the new team who picked me up . and shoots me instead of someone who may win...make any sense?

now I am a 7 in the APA which I am aware doesnt mean squat, but for some reason I dont appear to be dropping in ranking even though I lost the 9 in the last 10 matches

how can I get out of this funk?, because it is to a point where I feel guilty leaving my family at home so I can do my hobby. thanks in advance to anybody who has any suggestions

also if anyone is in the Reading PA area and would like to shoot a little maybe that'll help SK

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
So I have been playing like a complete retard and its getting to the point that I feel i am wasting my time any more... let me explain

Well a couple of months ago. I competed in and won a APA singles mini event which is 1 step away from going to vegas. beating a guy who won the vegas trip last year. after this It seems that my playing has gone down the toilet, I started playing on a new team this session, and have not won a single match yet. I am 0-6 and I have never been lower than .500 since I started playing. I feel like a burden to the new team who picked me up . and shoots me instead of someone who may win...make any sense?

now I am a 7 in the APA which I am aware doesnt mean squat, but for some reason I dont appear to be dropping in ranking even though I lost the 9 in the last 10 matches

how can I get out of this funk?, because it is to a point where I feel guilty leaving my family at home so I can do my hobby. thanks in advance to anybody who has any suggestions

also if anyone is in the Reading PA area and would like to shoot a little maybe that'll help SK

I think you've highlighted a key factor in your predicament. You have guilt over playing pool at all and this guilt likely distracts you and keeps you from having as much fun as you normally would. It sounds like you may need to have a talk with your family to get reassurance from them that they will support you having your own hobby for one or two nights a week.

Based on your description, I would say it's mental and that you need to get that support and acknowledgement from your family that they are ok with you playing. If you can get that, I think you may have an easier time playing and you will be able to have fun and enjoy your hobby instead of worrying about what your family is thinking at home. If they know pool is important to you, it is likely they will support you having the time to enjoy your hobby/sport so long as you don't neglect them. One or two nights a week seems reasonable, 4 or 5 doesn't to me.

I hope this helps. Balance and family support are the keys for success.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Your symptoms are classic. You can't seem to break for crap. When you're at the table you can't run any more than two or three balls. You look at the hooters on the waitress as she walks by, and you only sigh. Sounds to me like you need a little time away from the table, SK.
Go bowling. That's what I do. You haven't lived until you've rolled thirteen gutter balls in a row, then get pissed and throw number fourteen onto the lane next to yours. What a rush.
Anyway, do something that will take your mind off league play for a few days and then come back as good as new. :smile:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Wow you guys are getting brutal on people...

SK, you could take a video of you playing a few racks, upload it to YouTube, and post a link in the, "Ask The Instructor" forum for some feedback. There are some very good teachers here on AZ that can give you some general advice on what to work on.

It also might be time to go back to the drawing board and work on your PSR and fundamentals. If you're at the point where you feel guilty for even bothering to play anymore you're setting yourself up for too much pressure. It's easy to spiral negatively when you feel that way.

Take the time for some constructive practice, some of which, like the bottle drill where you practice stroking in and out of the mouth of a pop bottle, you can do at home for free.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
Sometimes when learning you go down the ladder before you go up

If your in a learning curve, That can be your problem.
Sometimes when learning you go down 1 step on the ladder before you go up 2 steps.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Focus!

When you are at the table forget everything else. Don't see the waitress, don't look at your opponent. Don't look at your teammates.

Its your table, your game. Slow your stroke a little, put whitey where you want it even if you miss the shot. Focus, its just you and the table.

As a level 7, you know you can do it, just do it. :smile:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

SK,

I'm about to turn 68. Play with the "kids" nearly every week. Found my big table game has slipped as my eyesight changes. On the small tables, can still keep up with and beat those young folks. As another poster put it FOCUS is the prime ingredient. Play the balls as they lay on the table. Not your opponent.

So many times I watch other APA 7's try to play cute with their opponent. Because they know their opponent is weak, they relax and take risks they might not take playing a stronger player. Next thing they know, their opponent misses and leaves them stuck behind a ball. They kick and sometimes miss their ball. Now their opponent has ball in hand. We have 4's in our league who can run an open rack from time to time.

Be honest with yourself. Why are you losing? Did you miss? Were you unlucky? Was your opponent lucky? Did you underestimate your opponents ability? Way too many times I hear players say their opponent is way underrated. Yep, the other guy is underrated and I'm overrated. Usually hear this right after I watch a guy miss the eight not once but two or three times. Be honest with yourself :eek:. There is a reason you are losing. Find the root cause and try to fix it! Been there. Done that!

Lyn

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well I can say my eyesight is possibly a problem since I have started to wear glasses for everything else except pool (cant use them for shooting because of the way my head is I end up looking over the glasses which doesnt work because then my eyes are out of adjustment)

also my family isnt so supportive of my pool shooting, and i usually get the I am not at home enough etc. I am sure some of you have heard it.

as far as how i am losing. it is a mixture of all of the above,. I will run 6-7 balls and maybe try to make a hard shot or just miss and then the opponent seems to either just not miss or leave me like crap. I hate to blame it on anyone but me because i have been playing for quite some time. and i never shot this bad. just zero consistency... i am starting to believe that I should have never been rated a 7 and this division is kicking my butt....i refuse to ask the LO to look into my SL because I would like to rise to the competition but I am not rising:grin-square: and its embarassing.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm,

Maybe you should concentrate more on your safety play. Clearing the table for the other guy ain't workin. :smile: I would expect a lvl 7 to runout or leave me with no shot on the eight just about everytime in that situation.

The family problem is something only you can handle. If that really is the problem, you may have to give up something to spend a little more time at home.

I do know that in my family, (if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy) an thats the truth! I try to keep her happy because I love her, and she does the same for me. Yep, its been workin for 42 years! :wink:

Good luck to you. :)

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
I think you've highlighted a key factor in your predicament. You have guilt over playing pool at all and this guilt likely distracts you and keeps you from having as much fun as you normally would. It sounds like you may need to have a talk with your family to get reassurance from them that they will support you having your own hobby for one or two nights a week.

Based on your description, I would say it's mental and that you need to get that support and acknowledgement from your family that they are ok with you playing.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

The good news though is that just as negative feelings/thoughts can pull down your 'normal' game, so positives ones can raise it. The next time something really great happens in your life, or you simply feel ecstatically happy for any reason (or no reason) at all, immediately go to a pool table and see what happens to your game. :)