Time to change Hard Times Annual 10 Ball to Philippino Annual...?

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow just saw the past winners of the Hard Times Annual 10 Ball Tourney.

2010... Lee Vann
2011... Alex
2012... Dennis
2013... Biado
2014... Dennis

And with the exception of the 2012, there were at least 3 Pinoys in placing 5th or better. Of course, there were only three there. At any rate, this appears to be their venue.

Any opinions on why they appear so dominant (other than duh!!! They're from The Philippines and it's Pool!)

Traveling abroad doesn't faze them. Playing with tight pockets evidently doesn't slow them down. The Cali climate probably suits them. Of course, many of them have a gracious host where they hang out, shoot pool and treat him with delicious dishes every day. Comfort food always makes you feel at home when you're abroad.

It would be hard to side bet against any of them at Hard Times. And that wouldn't matter which Pinoy would be playing against any other player in the world.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Wow just saw the past winners of the Hard Times Annual 10 Ball Tourney.

2010... Lee Vann
2011... Alex
2012... Dennis
2013... Biado
2014... Dennis

And with the exception of the 2012, there were at least 3 Pinoys in placing 5th or better. Of course, there were only three there. At any rate, this appears to be their venue.

Any opinions on why they appear so dominant (other than duh!!! They're from The Philippines and it's Pool!)

Traveling abroad doesn't faze them. Playing with tight pockets evidently doesn't slow them down. The Cali climate probably suits them. Of course, many of them have a gracious host where they hang out, shoot pool and treat him with delicious dishes every day. Comfort food always makes you feel at home when you're abroad.

It would be hard to side bet against any of them at Hard Times. And that wouldn't matter which Pinoy would be playing against any other player in the world.

I'm guessing it is mostly because they tend to be the most talented players at that event. Also, Los Angeles and Hard Times is their home away from home so to speak. There is a big filipino community in Los Angeles, and many or most of the Filipino players have lots of friends in the area that were originally from the Phillipines and they stay with those friends in their homes while in the area. Basically they are as comfortable and feel as at home as can be possible in a foreign country.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We dont have any players!

I'm guessing it is mostly because they tend to be the most talented players at that event. Also, Los Angeles and Hard Times is their home away from home so to speak. There is a big filipino community in Los Angeles, and many or most of the Filipino players have lots of friends in the area that were originally from the Phillipines and they stay with those friends in their homes while in the area. Basically they are as comfortable and feel as at home as can be possible in a foreign country.

Your right about the comfort level that the Filipino players have in LA, but they are also comfortable playing against American players. They know that unless they are playing SVB they wont face much resistance.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I would like to see them play Rotation since that's the game that all the Philippinos grow up on.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fixed that for you.

Good catch, bral.
However, SouthernDraw wasn't completely off-base with the 'Cali climate' reference.
The Filipino community not only can been seen within Hard Times,
but also up and down the California Coast.
Ever gone to San Francisco, Sacramento, or San Diego?
In any pool room in those cities you will find a Filipino contingent.
Playing among other Filipinos makes for a more comfortable atmosphere and better playing.

Besides anywhere along the Pacific Rim you will find many Filipinos.

In any case, the OP wants to change the HT 10 ball? Was this written in jest?
I hope so. The Americans must simply get better in order to compete.:smile:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some promoter needs to think about a Mosconi Cup-like annual event with an Asian team. Host it between Los Angeles and Asian cities like Taipei or Manila. It will definitely draw big crowds considering how popular pool is among the Asian population.

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right about the comfort level that the Filipino players have in LA, but they are also comfortable playing against American players. They know that unless they are playing SVB they wont face much resistance.

Usually, you have a good idea who is going it win the tournament when only a few of the top players are in attendance. The last couple of years the field has been really strong. For 2013, all of the top pros were in the field and this year, we were fortunate to have the Taiwanese players.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only in jest...

Good catch, bral.
However, SouthernDraw wasn't completely off-base with the 'Cali climate' reference.
The Filipino community not only can been seen within Hard Times,
but also up and down the California Coast.
Ever gone to San Francisco, Sacramento, or San Diego?
In any pool room in those cities you will find a Filipino contingent.
Playing among other Filipinos makes for a more comfortable atmosphere and better playing.

Besides anywhere along the Pacific Rim you will find many Filipinos.

In any case, the OP wants to change the HT 10 ball? Was this written in jest?
I hope so. The Americans must simply get better in order to compete.:smile:

Boogey,

Thanks for the post. I'm glad that they plenty of friends to stay with. I'll bet that there are some fun community events they get to take advantage of during visits. Of course, if they prefer a good humid climate, the Carolina'a are not too far away.

Yeah, I was saying this is jest. Not sure, why Hard Times would pay for a tournament without their name on it or one of their homies anyway. But, you are correct, the Americans have to step up their game. SVB showing up more often would help. He's been to one and finished second in it.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Euro vs Asia may be closer...

Some promoter needs to think about a Mosconi Cup-like annual event with an Asian team. Host it between Los Angeles and Asian cities like Taipei or Manila. It will definitely draw big crowds considering how popular pool is among the Asian population.

I think that the US should be more concerned about the Euro's dropping us for competition from an Asian contingent!! If we continue to lag in the pro game, the Duke may look to his left for stiffer competition. He already can't get on American tv. Of course, ratings may go up in the rest of the world, just because they get a chance to watch the US get their teeth kicked in. Lol

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that the US should be more concerned about the Euro's dropping us for competition from an Asian contingent!! If we continue to lag in the pro game, the Duke may look to his left for stiffer competition. He already can't get on American tv. Of course, ratings may go up in the rest of the world, just because they get a chance to watch the US get their teeth kicked in. Lol

If it is similar format as Mosconi cup with 5 players and short races, it will be close. On other hand if it is format with 10 or more players per team , IMHO Asia will be clear favorite ;)

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US gets destroyed playing our top 5 against The Philippines' top 5 alone. We are underdogs against Taipei, or China. I don't know much about the depth of Japan. Put them all together no chance.

The Americans can't play under the pressure of short races. They've grown up making their living gambling. Today gambling is long races where the player with the nutz will always win, guaranteed. If playing a better player, they adjust the spot. Such a system produces a hierarchy system where people believe that someone can't win/can't lose. And the top dog believes that they should never lose and then they put more pressure on themselves during the short races. It also can become a convenient excuse for short race failures.