Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep, but i'm only talking about the WC. the televised stage of the world championship was on 8 foot tables:

not sure if the event is still played, but if it is it's probably 7 footers all the way now

English 8-Ball throughout the years has had multiple organisations with different rules, the World Eightball Pool Federation (WEPF) World Championships used (not sure if they still do) the larger 8ft tables for the latter stages, whereas the IPA World Championships don't (and I don't believe ever did).

If you think (American) pool is disjointed, English pool takes it to a whole new level!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like he needs a sponsor, he's a millionaire. He wants to Up his image for one, secondly, he loves cue sports and really wants to play. Remember when Steve Davis was down 9-1 to Efren and won?
Steve Davis finished in the last 8 in 2000, and the last 16 in 2006 (he turned up at that tournament in Manila looking like death, totally jet lagged and wouldn't have taken his spot if he had not just been knocked out of a snooker tournament). He said, and I believe him, that he never practiced pool because he was a professional snooker player. Trump has a good chance of going deep, there is plenty of dead money in the 256 player field.

gerryf

Steve Davis finished in the last 8 in 2000, and the last 16 in 2006 (he turned up at that tournament in Manila looking like death, totally jet lagged and wouldn't have taken his spot if he had not just been knocked out of a snooker tournament). He said, and I believe him, that he never practiced pool because he was a professional snooker player. Trump has a good chance of going deep, there is plenty of dead money in the 256 player field.
From some pool players I hear a couple of opposed sentiments.

1. Hoping Trump burns out early, as that will make it clear that pool is a tough sport and enhance the reputation of the game.
2. Hoping Trump goes deep as that will raise the profile of the game.

I've also heard that there is an attached fear that if Trump goes deep, and that leads to pool's profile and money being raised too much, there will be fleets of snooker players (1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier), competing and warping the field. Apparently lots of Chinese snooker players compete in Chinese 8-ball.

I'd prefer if Trump was able to go deep as i believe it will help the game, but I'd be surprised if he was able to get by Sossei.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Hoping Trump burns out early, as that will make it clear that pool is a tough sport and enhance the reputation of the game.

I've also heard that there is an attached fear that if Trump goes deep, and that leads to pool's profile and money being raised too much, there will be fleets of snooker players (1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier), competing and warping the field. Apparently lots of Chinese snooker players compete in Chinese 8-ball.

I'd prefer if Trump was able to go deep as i believe it will help the game, but I'd be surprised if he was able to get by Sossei.
It's 9 ball, races to 9 and 11. Anything can happen. If Trump goes very deep it will probably be either because he adapts to the game quicker than most, or more likely because he gets the "run of the balls" and doesn't have to play too many shots that are beyond his repertoire. Any elite snooker player has more than a chance in a pool match. Winning 8 or 9 matches in succession against professional and elite amateur pool players is a big ask though. Contrary to what some say, I'm of the opinion that snooker is a far more straightforward game strategically. 9 Ball doesn't appear to be but that's because good players already know most of the patterns and only occasionally have to go into the tank.

Regardless of how well he actually plays, I too would love to see him go deep as I think it can only be good for pool.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting to wonder if a UK Open is likely to supplement the overall Matchroom calendar or whether it will overtake and overshadow the US Open due to geographic convenience for where the best players are located.

Reactions: JAM

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
English 8-Ball throughout the years has had multiple organisations with different rules, the World Eightball Pool Federation (WEPF) World Championships used (not sure if they still do) the larger 8ft tables for the latter stages, whereas the IPA World Championships don't (and I don't believe ever did).

If you think (American) pool is disjointed, English pool takes it to a whole new level!

i can't watch a second of bar table pool. i have tried, but it's effing silly to have tables smaller than the players. especially true with some of the current e8b players.. i did watch the old matches played on 8ft and that was quite enjoyable. selby, mick hill, quinten hann, potts stuck out as the best players

BlueRaider

Registered

I think the best outcome is that he wins a few matches to make it interesting but ultimately gets curb stomped by a "known" player. Trump vs Shaw would be an incredible matchup for the sheer spectacle of it, but I don't think Trump makes it that far.

gerryf

I've never been interested before, but I watched the Chinese 8-ball match between Trump and Hohmann. Trump's break was undisciplined and rushed so hopefully he's improved on that. But Trump did pretty well with potting and safeties.

In one of the first games, Hohmann scratched and Trump looked to the ref to explain 'what now?", and he got ball-in-hand and continued. Clearly he hadn't spent a lot of time at this. On one game, Trump spent three or four shots trying to sink the ball then get the cue ball to break a ball off from the rail. He was close every time and it was interesting seeing the different approaches he made.

I watched a few more matches with other players as well, and was pleased at how soft they were shooting, how precise their cue ball control was and how they came up with options to block the other player. The difference tight pockets make.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been interested before, but I watched the Chinese 8-ball match between Trump and Hohmann. Trump's break was undisciplined and rushed so hopefully he's improved on that. But Trump did pretty well with potting and safeties.

In one of the first games, Hohmann scratched and Trump looked to the ref to explain 'what now?", and he got ball-in-hand and continued. Clearly he hadn't spent a lot of time at this. On one game, Trump spent three or four shots trying to sink the ball then get the cue ball to break a ball off from the rail. He was close every time and it was interesting seeing the different approaches he made.

I watched a few more matches with other players as well, and was pleased at how soft they were shooting, how precise their cue ball control was and how they came up with options to block the other player. The difference tight pockets make.

i delved into it a bit some year ago. my tip: check out melling and bingjie. the two most interesting players in c8b.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting to wonder if a UK Open is likely to supplement the overall Matchroom calendar or whether it will overtake and overshadow the US Open due to geographic convenience for where the best players are located.
I think a big UK tournament will come, the Mosconi Cup sold out easily every night when it's been at Blackpool or London. Barry Hearn's approach with the snooker has been to diversify, with new overseas tournaments and formats. He has focused a fair bit on China, and outside the World Championship that's where some of the biggest money tournaments are.

I do think Judd at the US Open is as much about testing the waters for a snooker tournament in the US as it is about raising pool's profile though.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a big UK tournament will come, the Mosconi Cup sold out easily every night when it's been at Blackpool or London. Barry Hearn's approach with the snooker has been to diversify, with new overseas tournaments and formats. He has focused a fair bit on China, and outside the World Championship that's where some of the biggest money tournaments are.

I do think Judd at the US Open is as much about testing the waters for a snooker tournament in the US as it is about raising pool's profile though.

Definitely J Trump playing is more snooker marketing than anything else. Even he himself doesn't believe he has much chance. He must be getting appearance money/perks like when snooker pros Hendry, Selby went to play in Chinese 8ball events :D