A Ginky Story

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
About 25 yrs ago I pull into the parking lot at Lodi Billiards and hit a sheet of ice doing 2 mph sliding for over 100 feet and heading straight for the dumpster I stopped just in time. Was a freak ice patch. I walk into the pool room and announce that I'm giving odds that Jersey Mel gets into an accident as soon as he pulls in the lot.
No takers but a lot of funny looks. Half hour later Mel walks in and says hello to everyone.Then says "you guys know what just happened to me?" and the entire room looked over at me. Only made that call cause I know how Mel drives. The following Tuesday I was at Westend Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ for the weekly tournament. Probably the best weekly tournament in the history of the game. Always 4 or 5 world champs in it. Sitting in the bleachers next to "kenny the farmer" I said " I'm playing Ginky on that table". Kenny says how do you know that they didn't even have the draw yet? I said I had a dream last nite bout it. Sure enough they call it. Beat Ginky 5-2 and after the match called over the Farmer and told him to tell Ginky what I said bout the dream. Ginky turns to me and says "ain't you the guy that predicted mel was gonna get in an accident the other day?" I said yeah. Ginky says "stay the **** away from me" laughing. See you on the other side kid. Never Forgotten.

Last edited:

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep...39 is too young for anyone to checkout. I'm a little foggy right now cause I'm coming off a four day bender. Not really a drinker, but the passing of George has really affected me. Life sucks sometimes, get a helmet. I'll never forget my time with George! We ran the roads quite a bit back in the day. I was on the road doing cue repairs year round at the time in my little Toyota motor home. I was all screwed up over my fiance breaking up with me. She "Dear Johned" me over the phone, and I flew over to Scotland the week before to try and straighten things out with her, to no avail I might add. Life goes on, so I am at the next tournament, the US Bar Table Championships in Palm Springs, CA in 1995. George and I had been on the road a few times prior, and had been developing our friendship for years. I called him and told him I was all twisted up, and he told me to hang tight. I told him there were a couple of guys going off out here around LA, and we should make a trip and see what we could do. So anyway, it goes down like clockwork. George gets there with his good friend and stakehorse "Gypsy." One of those nights, George & Stevie Moore had played scotch doubles against Tang Hoa & Keith McCready and won $5k. Now bear in mind I'm a basket case over this girl, but George had a way of bringing out the best in people that he was hanging with, and he sure did bring out the best in me. I mean, he got me playing $1-2k sets the first night out, and had me believing I could win too...and boy did we win! I had never played for that much money before, and he's got me doing it the first night all f 'd up over the girl. The next night or so, we went over to Aloha Billiards across town, and that's where the shit started to hit the fan. We walk in, and Leonardo Andam is playing Keith giving him the 8-ball for $5k. Got that? Keith loses with the owner of the poolroom staking him & "Mark" staking Leonardo. The owner doesn't wanna pay the money right now, he wants to keep it on the wire and just add it to the money he already owes. Apparently, weeks prior the owner Wayne had been playing spot shots with Mark for $35k a shot and lost 6 or 8 bets that way, and paid a large amount of it already. Okay, they argue for a while and it looks like a draw...the owner gets his way and Leonardo & Mark leave. Well, they ain't gone 5 minutes when Keith & Wayne are trying to match up with us. Well, we make a game, and Wayne goes over to the jukebox, pulls out a bag of money, takes out a thousand one-dollar bills, and posts it. We're playing a 1k set scotch doubles with a thousand dollar bills posted in the light. Have you ever seen a thousand dollar bills? As if that ain't funny enough, we're playing the last set for $3k, and there's three thousand one-dollar bills posted in the light! Alright, we clipped 'em for $5k. Cool! Back at the tournament the next day, my booth is set in the lobby facing the front door, and I see this big like 40' motor home pull up out front, and Wayne gets out and comes straight up to my booth and says, "I'm right in the middle of a divorce, and I want to play YOU for 100k against the motor home parked outside with 260 miles on it. It's got 5 slide outs, and all the bells and whistles!" You think I could get staked...no chance! Got that? Anyway, Stevie Moore beats Scotty Townsend and wins the tournament. Great tournament! Now George & the Gypster have to go home. I tell George I am going to Hardtimes Belleflower after Keith. He's been gambling out there quite a bit and if I had just the right player maybe we could bust LA. I mean, George is the perfect guy to do it because there ain't but two people he can play even at Hardtimes...Efren Reyes & Jose Parica! You know, we had a huge advantage because I knew how everyone played, and George was an excellent handicapper & gambler himself. I'd been hanging around LA on & off for about 2 years already, so I go to LA, and it's going down again just like clockwork. I call up George, and there's several other tournaments coming up out there anyway, so he flies out there and the rest is history.
Snapped off the LA crowd for about 30K+ over the next month or so. Keith McCready, Jose Parica, Efren Reyes, Dennis Hatch, Billy Incardona, and countless other great names of the game got involved in one way or another. At one point, we were playing scotch doubles with Jose Parica & Don Percy, and they were on their last barrel. Jose Parica (yeah, that's right, I didn't stutter, I said Jose Parica) had to post his cue to cover the bet...then wanted to borrow it back to play the set! Well, dammit, they won & we never did get that friggin cue. There wasn't a living human that couldn't get a bet. I can promise you this, his money was in action like no other whether he was playing, staking, or just along for the ride. That's why him & Keith got it on so well, because that's how they roll! I mean, Hard Times Belleflower in the early to mid-1990's was like the who's who of pool! And George was there with ME! We went into the most dangerous war zone in the pool world, and got out with the loot. We were cruising down the highway headed towards Santa Rosa for some ESPN tourney counting the loot & they were still trying to figure out what happened... Those were the greatest times of MY LIFE!!!

I'll tell you this, George "Ginky" SanSouci knew how to LIVE!

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If anyone is interested, check out the fund raising matches;go4pool.net Amsterdam Billiards live stream.

I saw Bill Haley, heard Phil Capelle, Stevie Moore, Pat Fleming were circulating.

It's not too late to contribute to Ginky's funeral expenses. Tony Robles is here to accept donations for this cause.

It looks like almost all of New York and Northern New Jersey turned out.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep...39 is too young for anyone to checkout. I'm a little foggy right now cause I'm coming off a four day bender. Not really a drinker, but the passing of George has really affected me. Life sucks sometimes, get a helmet. I'll never forget my time with George! We ran the roads quite a bit back in the day. I was on the road doing cue repairs year round at the time in my little Toyota motor home. George had a way of bringing out the best in people that he was hanging with, and he sure did bring out the best in me. I mean, he got me playing $1,000-$2,000 sets, and had me believing I could win too...and boy did we win! Snapped off the LA crowd for about 30K+ in about a month. Keith McCready, Jose Parica, Efren Reyes, Stevie Moore, Tang Hoa, Dennis Hatch, Billy Incardona, and countless other great names of the game got involved in one way or another. At one point, we were playing scotch doubles with Jose Parica & Don Percy, and they were on their last barrel. Jose Parica (yeah, that's right, I didn't stutter, I said Jose Parica) had to post his cue to cover the bet...then wanted to borrow it back to play the set! Well, dammit, they won & we never did get that friggin cue. There wasn't a living human that couldn't get a bet. I can promise you this, his money was in action like no other whether he was playing, staking, or just along for the ride. That's why him & Keith got it on so well, because that's how they roll! I mean, Hard Times Belleflower in the early to mid-1990's was like the who's who of pool! And George was there with ME! We went into the most dangerous war zone in the pool world, and got out with the loot. We were cruising down the highway headed towards Santa Rosa for some ESPN tourney counting the loot & they were still trying to figure out what happened... Those were the greatest times of MY LIFE!!!

I'll tell you this, George "Ginky" SanSouci knew how to LIVE!

Great story Ted thank you very much,god bless you george!

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Ted Harris, we never met. kickass story you got there bro.
Amsterdam crowd was great tonite. Pat Fleming and Accustats donated a bunch of dvd's for the cause and Tony Robles was really appreciative.
I rode over on the bike to deliver them and froze my ass off but seen a lot of faces and all in all was the place to be tonite. Nice job by everyone, glad i went.

Last edited:

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Hi Eddie,

It was nice seeing you again tonight.

Henry

you too bro, now that warmer weather comin around i can get over there a lot more on the bike. was back at mcsorley's last nite. missed it. was home away from home for a few years.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
About 25 yrs ago I pull into the parking lot at Lodi Billiards and hit a sheet of ice doing 2 mph sliding for over 100 feet and heading straight for the dumpster I stopped just in time. Was a freak ice patch. I walk into the pool room and announce that I'm giving odds that Jersey Mel gets into an accident as soon as he pulls in the lot.
No takers but a lot of funny looks. Half hour later Mel walks in and says hello to everyone.Then says "you guys know what just happened to me?" and the entire room looked over at me. Only made that call cause I know how Mel drives. The following Tuesday I was at Westend Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ for the weekly tournament. Probably the best weekly tournament in the history of the game. Always 4 or 5 world champs in it. Sitting in the bleachers next to "kenny the farmer" I said " I'm playing Ginky on that table". Kenny says how do you know that they didn't even have the draw yet? I said I had a dream last nite bout it. Sure enough they call it. Beat Ginky 5-2 and after the match called over the Farmer and told him to tell Ginky what I said bout the dream. Ginky turns to me and says "ain't you the guy that predicted mel was gonna get in an accident the other day?" I said yeah. Ginky says "stay the **** away from me" laughing. See you on the other side kid. Never Forgotten.

Hate to rain on the story, but "25 years ago", I don't think Ginky even played Pool. He wasn't considered a "top local player" til the early 90's.

Anywho, for services info, go to: http://www.ginky.com

Eric

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric-teds timimeline may be off but the stories are true-he was present for everything he says-i dont talk to ted anymore as we have old differences but he was in all the action he says he was

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Eric-teds timimeline may be off but the stories are true-he was present for everything he says-i dont talk to ted anymore as we have old differences but he was in all the action he says he was

Scott,

I was quoting Eddie Culhane :wink:

Eric >knows Ted Harris "knows"

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Leave it to Eric to rain logic on a feel-good story.:cool:

Point being that 25 years ago, Ginky wasnt a poolplayer. Even 20 years ago, no one was "having a dream about playing Ginky" because he wasn't that good yet.

But, you're right, it was a good story.

Eric

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Point being that 25 years ago, Ginky wasnt a poolplayer. Even 20 years ago, no one was "having a dream about playing Ginky" because he wasn't that good yet.

But, you're right, it was a good story.

Eric

tried to work out that time frame with tony robles last nite. seems i was off by 5 yrs. not a big deal. wtf

Last edited: