Being a Mosconi fan, what can you tell me about this replica cue

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I found this replica cue online https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/willie-mosconi-custom-balabushka-19-137876150 or was at some point and did not know these were made. I believe these were out of the Adam Japan Custom line and was a collector model with only 100 cues being produced. These are supposed to be exact replica of Willie's original Bushka cue. The original one sold at $80,000 at auction, I was told that Richard Helmsetter built these cues himself and used the finest materials he could find . It was said he copied the original cue down to a tee and made a exact replica of each of Willie Mosconi 's cues with this being the most famous one. I have never seen one for sale and did not know he made these. It has Willie's face inscribed on the butt . These are call Willie Mosconi WMGB-2 , I think the look beautiful and the Adam Japan cues are really nice in quality and. What else is there about this cue that makes it worth $ 850.00 . Thanks

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
They also made copies of Lou Butera's and Irving Crane's cues, too, among others. I thought hard about buying one or two of them years ago, never did.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you play any actual pool or just like cues?

Yes Sir , I do play . I grew up playing in a pool room that would remind you of the one from the Hustler movie. The guy who ran it was meant to be a Pool room man . We had 5 pool rooms at one time and 20 years ago the last one closed . That is when I stopped playing. 20 years later I am back as our boy Paul Newman said in the Color of Money. I play about 3 times a week at Friends and we play 8-ball and 9-ball . I just love Cues man and I played with a Adams Bushka back in the day and really liked it. I needed the money and sold it and regretted it. I am a cue fan and Appreciate the fine art work. I am a fan of the original Japan Adam cues with Richard Helmsetter as I think they are some of the finest production cues of that time period. I probley go to far but I enjoy looking at cues and learning about them. This place seems like a wealth of knowledge. I am also a fan of Willie Mosconi as I also think he was one of the Greatest of all times when it comes to pool. I also think his Bushka was the grail of cues and the fact that George Balabushka himself made it adds to the legend. Sorry if I post to much about it . I have a lot of time on my hands and this keeps me entertained lol.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hello ,

I found this replica cue online https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/willie-mosconi-custom-balabushka-19-137876150 or was at some point and did not know these were made. I believe these were out of the Adam Japan Custom line and was a collector model with only 100 cues being produced. These are supposed to be exact replica of Willie's original Bushka cue. The original one sold at $80,000 at auction, I was told that Richard Helmsetter built these cues himself and used the finest materials he could find . It was said he copied the original cue down to a tee and made a exact replica of each of Willie Mosconi 's cues with this being the most famous one. I have never seen one for sale and did not know he made these. It has Willie's face inscribed on the butt . These are call Willie Mosconi WMGB-2 , I think the look beautiful and the Adam Japan cues are really nice in quality and. What else is there about this cue that makes it worth $ 850.00 . Thanks

as an example, you can get one on ebay for $320 (or make offer - poss a little cheaper). These are far from "exact replicas" but do look similar and if actually made by Adam Japan, they are excellent quality.

The guy selling them on ebay was the Adam distributor and his feedback is extensive and perfect. The pics he provides are awful, what you will receive should be much nicer (perfect).

I bought a couple from him and was very pleased with his service and the cues.

here's the current ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Pool-C...:B1wAAOSwpj9bcuLU:sc:USPSPriority!06770!US!-1

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chicken that one has the thicker rings which is usually the tale tale sign. The Chinese version has much thinner rings and most of the Cues he advertises has the thinner rings but still says made in Japan. At least he was honest about the points not matching up and the slight outroll , It is a pretty cue. I was hoping to get some info on the one I posted , It seems to have Willie's face inscribed on the butt. I was curious to how many were made , I had been told that 100 of them were made and how much that Particular cue would be worth. Thanks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The claim in the link you provided for that cue is false. Willie did not use that cue for ANY of his world titles or for his 526 run- he did not own a Balabushka until the 1960s- well beyond his world championships or historic runs.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Helmstetter was the plant foreman/mgr. He didn't build cues while at ADAM at least not many. If it has the thick joint rings then its probably an ADAM built cue. Never seen one of the ADAM versions with that "1/526" on the butt. Is it new-new or NOS? Big difference. I wouldn't spen $850 for one of the ADAM cues. Very nice but if i was looking for a steel-joint cue i'd look hard at Schon or for a little more money get a Garten Bierbower. He makes real deal old-school cues. You seem a tad obsessed with these cues. Why?? BTW, you can call the guy at CompetitionSports down in Florida. He used to be in NY and was the importer/dist of these ADAM-built cues. http://www.competitionsports.com/

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Helmstetter was the plant foreman/mgr. He didn't build cues while at ADAM at least not many. If it has the thick joint rings then its probably an ADAM built cue. Never seen one of the ADAM versions with that "1/526" on the butt. Is it new-new or NOS? Big difference. I wouldn't spen $850 for one of the ADAM cues. Very nice but if i was looking for a steel-joint cue i'd look hard at Schon or for a little more money get a Garten Bierbower. He makes real deal old-school cues. You seem a tad obsessed with these cues. Why?? BTW, you can call the guy at CompetitionSports down in Florida. He used to be in NY and was the importer/dist of these ADAM-built cues. http://www.competitionsports.com/

Back in the day when I was what you would call a decent player I had one and I liked it. The pool rooms all closed and nobody was playing anymore So I needed the Money after not being married to long and sold it and I wish I had not. So I have a fondness for these cues. They take me back to yesterday, I got sick in July of last year and I have a lot of time on my hands and my Son got me into playing Pool again . I enjoy learning about them and it gives me something to do . Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day when I was what you would call a decent player I had one and I liked it. The pool rooms all closed and nobody was playing anymore So I needed the Money after not being married to long and sold it and I wish I had not. So I have a fondness for these cues. They take me back to yesterday, I got sick in July of last year and I have a lot of time on my hands and my Son got me into playing Pool again . I enjoy learning about them and it gives me something to do . Thanks
I get the attachment thing. I just don't think they're worth what some are asking. I'm serious, call Garten and just order one. A friend just got his and its absolutely awesome. His prices will be going up before long.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You won't find any mosconi fans here.

Since John Schmidt eclipsed Willie's it claim to fame, Willie immediately became a nobody and had to get a job at Target.

How could John eclipse a record that was never fully documented with a video and a notary witness stamp?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you have against Willie, I met him years back (1962) and he seemed like a nice guy? I've looked for him at Target, which store did he work at?
HUH?? I can't decide if this is just a really lame attempt at sarcasm or maybe some type of delusion. ;)

as an example, you can get one on ebay for $320 (or make offer - poss a little cheaper). These are far from "exact replicas" but do look similar and if actually made by Adam Japan, they are excellent quality.

The guy selling them on ebay was the Adam distributor and his feedback is extensive and perfect. The pics he provides are awful, what you will receive should be much nicer (perfect).

I bought a couple from him and was very pleased with his service and the cues.

here's the current ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Pool-C...d=link&campid=5335988529&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

best,
brian kc
I JUST BOUGHT THE ONE ON THE LEFT,ILTELL YOU ABOUT IT WHEN IT ARRIVES