Your next shot?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I've seen a couple of suggestions to play safe below the 6. I'm not the strongest banker so lets pretend I'm the opponent and I've been put in this spot below the 6.

Assuming I don't have a clean line on the 1 ball and the 6 doesn't play easy anywhere either. Rather than play the bank on the 5. I'd simply roll up on the 5 and play safe. The stripe shooter is now in an even worse spot than before and the 14 isn't preventing me from potting the 5 later.

Safe below the 6 is a bad play imo.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smart shot is a safe. Glance off the 15 one rail between the side pocket and the 1 ball. Leave it top rail in the corner. The only available shot for solids would be the cut on the 6. Everything else is covered or un-makeable from there.

If the opponent is world class or making everything then I'd probably swing for the very low percentage 15 in the side, and pray that I get perfect on the 10 to break out the 14...

I've seen a couple of suggestions to play safe below the 6. I'm not the strongest banker so lets pretend I'm the opponent and I've been put in this spot below the 6.

Assuming I don't have a clean line on the 1 ball and the 6 doesn't play easy anywhere either. Rather than play the bank on the 5. I'd simply roll up on the 5 and play safe. The stripe shooter is now in an even worse spot than before and the 14 isn't preventing me from potting the 5 later.

Safe below the 6 is a bad play imo.

I like it when the opponent leaves me a long but make able shot, usually done because long would be tough for them, so they think it would be tough for me. If I were left that shot I should be able to not only drain it but spin over and free up the 5. Not knowing the opponent in this case I would assume he is my equal or better than me so I wouldn't leave him that shot. While it is a best practice that you should play the table and not the opponent, that only goes so far.

Rolling up on the 5 is something I would also consider if I was in his shoes with the CB below the 6 and especially if the bank didn't look that good in real life. But it still leaves the 15 in the side which is not that tough of a shot on a Diamond - would be tougher but still make able on a Valley.

welden

Now that I can actually tell where the cue ball is, I would try to Z-shot the 15 in bottom side pocket, if I'm playing a weak/mid-level player. I'd try a soft safety on the 10 and try to snuggle up to the back side of the 15 if I'm playing a strong/elite player.

Snakewood19

very poor image quality, but I would shoot the 15 past the 10, allowing a slight angle on the 9. with high right english on 9 breaking the 14/5.
bank the 10 to get position on 14. Anyone with me on that?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
very poor image quality, but I would shoot the 15 past the 10, allowing a slight angle on the 9. with high right english on 9 breaking the 14/5.
bank the 10 to get position on 14. Anyone with me on that?
I can't do anything about the image quality. Bob was kind enough to map it out.
2 APA 6's were playing. It is not BIH the cue ball is almost on the bottom spot.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really hard to work out what's what. Clearly I need a better screen. The long kick played slow to deliver the up table stripe into, or close to, the side pocket isn't terrible.

pguernsey

Consider an easier safety off the 10 two rails to freeze or nearly freeze on the 6. Preferably opponent cannot hit the 5. Says it doesn't pass anyway. The 10 blocks the 1 (if needed) and you force opponent to now be defensive. I believe at this point advantage is now slightly in your favor.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I finally put the position into Virtual Pool. (Let me know if I got some of the positions wrong.)

Neither one of us is likely to run out. I'm not moving the 14 on this shot -- he can deal with that unless I get a real good angle to break it out. The only problem ball for me other than the 14 is the 12. I like this safe.

CropperCapture[209].jpg

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I finally put the position into Virtual Pool. (Let me know if I got some of the positions wrong.)
I like this safe.
I flipped back and forth between the original post and your virtual image, and I really don't think you have that kick off the long rail. Maybe at best to the back side of the 12, but then your rail after contact would be the short rail. That would leave the 4 on into the side pocket.

Lets pretend your shot plays as drawn. The 1 ball bank side has a massive pocket with the 8 in that position. Honestly hard to miss. From there the 4 swings you around table to the 6 which most likely will allow you to break out the 5 with draw. All you need to do with the break shot on the 5 is touch the cluster. The 2 is a duck regardless, so position on the 5 after the cluster break isn't necessary. Roll the 2, roll the 5, roll the 8...

Lol... reading that last paragraph back it seems like I'm playing off a ton of what ifs. Truth be told though. If I played the safe your suggesting, I'd be clinging to the hope that my opponent misses the bank on the 1.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I flipped back and forth between the original post and your virtual image, and I really don't think you have that kick off the long rail. ...
The best way to compare the two images is check the position of each ball by putting a straight edge (piece of paper) between diamond or other reference points. For example, my cue ball is on the line from the center diamond on the foot rail to a spot half a diamond along the head rail from the upper left corner pocket. I can reposition any specific ball that is placed wrong, but I think they are pretty close.

The level of player I'm playing is not going to make the bank on the 1. If you have time, you might try the run from my safe in the diagram.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The level of player I'm playing is not going to make the bank on the 1. If you have time, you might try the run from my safe in the diagram.
Man that sounds like a lot of work... Can't we just assume that I could do it...?...lol

Maybe I'll see how my head feels like in the morning