New York City Players thread

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I am native New Yorker.

I miss pool hall action in NYC.

It was a big part of my life. Playing in pool rooms and meeting new players. All that is over now.

I have been using AZ as a support group. Some of the users here have made comments.

This is the new normal. Anybody else from NYC interested in self identifying NYC status.

Its doubtful pool in nyc will open up.

What are your thoughts for pool in nyc in the future?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nearly all the things I enjoy most in NYC, pool included, are on hold. No attending sporting events, no going to movie theaters, no going to concerts, no going to museums, no spending time in the libraries, no indoor dining at restaurants. Even a few of the things that are open should probably be closed.

Anytime I've seen footage of a poolroom during the pandemic, people are unmasked and not observing social distancing guidelines. For that reason, I doubt I'd return to the pool halls even if they were to open tomorrow. Poolroom proprietors are holding unsafe tournaments, too. A few more months of doing without pool, I fear, is what I'm stuck with.

Yes, this is the new normal, just as you say, or as Conan O'Brien put it "staying in is the new going out." That said, science has already beaten COVID, so there are grounds for optimism.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in the Tri State and some of Tony's Predator events in NYC until I moved south here to Fl. three years ago in work retirement. I miss those NYC rooms very much- Steinway, some of the other rooms in Queens NY, Amsterdam. There were a lot of really nice folks playing in those two weekly tournaments- I really miss all the NYC pool scene- Florida cannot compare IMO- at least down here in SW Florida.

That said, I dipped my toe in the Sunshine tour down here prior to Covid and look forward to returning to that tournament scene once I deem it safe for myself at age 67- need to be vaccinated first, before I would feel safe playing in a tournament.

In the meantime, having access to a semi private room during Covid has been a redeemer for me. I have plenty of time now in retirement to really focus on my game- videotaping, analyzing, and viewing the U tube of the pros- finally at age 67 can try and put all the pieces together.

For me, thankfully in great health and conditioning- so no excuses, it is paying off- close to 40 ball runs in 14.1 during every practice session now, and nice rack run extensions in 9 ball practice. Mostly focusing on 14.1 because that game forces one to get real precise on speed and position or you don't get any good runs, and you need to THINK! My goal is high- consistent 50+ runs in every 2 hour practice session - I know now that I will do that and hopefully more-

Any pool player who can possibly take advantage of this time and find a place to play safely should do so and be prepared for the day when we can all compete again safely.

justnum

Silver Member
Once the pool room closed, online felt like the only place to find the players you may have seen at events or rooms.

I am trying to be visible for the Tri State players because NYC pool rooms are national institutions of billiards.

Hopefully a lot of players just post they are alive and ok.

Whether you just went into a pool room once or played tournament every month NYC pool players are officially out of action maybe until 2022.

As for the drama.

Its a support thread.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
As usual, its all about money. Always has been and always will be. Money is tied to popularity. Popularity derives from attitude. Covid will pass, just a blip. Long term, the question will be whether or not pool can attract enough people to spend sufficient money on it to sustain and expand it. I am afraid that America is no longer a pool society -- sadly, we have moved away from pool. Kids today play video games. Instead of talking, they text. Pool developed during a different time, among people with a different mindset. Over time, the separation between pool and the American public will only broaden. I pray that I am wrong but fear I am not.

justnum

Silver Member
a pool hall owes 1 years rent and basically had no income for the whole year.

i know loans exist, but it feels like being priced out is a real threat in NYC

im estimated 2 years of no income can a business recover from that much debt?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, its all about money. Always has been and always will be. Money is tied to popularity. Popularity derives from attitude. Covid will pass, just a blip. Long term, the question will be whether or not pool can attract enough people to spend sufficient money on it to sustain and expand it. I am afraid that America is no longer a pool society -- sadly, we have moved away from pool. Kids today play video games. Instead of talking, they text. Pool developed during a different time, among people with a different mindset. Over time, the separation between pool and the American public will only broaden. I pray that I am wrong but fear I am not.
Almost everything in life ends up going full circle- so hopefully someday society admits that not all that is fast, convenient, and popular, like video games and texting are necessarily good or better- perhaps in many cases actually harmful. When and if that happens and folks start looking for some alternatives - pool may be one of the games that have a resurgence- it is possible.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Almost everything in life ends up going full circle- so hopefully someday society admits that not all that is fast, convenient, and popular, like video games and texting are necessarily good or better- perhaps in many cases actually harmful. When and if that happens and folks start looking for some alternatives - pool may be one of the games that have a resurgence- it is possible.
We can only hope for such evolution. For me, I made my choices a long time ago -- a slow, reflective, mode suits me fine. I usually do okay until I bump into real life. Even before Covid, my local "home away from home" was in trouble. Any "good" pool hall requires an owner who likes pool and, at a minimum, tolerates pool players. Our owner's actions left no doubt that he strictly did not care if we players came in or not (we really wondered why he kept the tables at all). What good is a "home away from home" if you don't feel like you are at home?

When discussing good pool halls, good players (read "good people") are as indispensable elements as good owners. I really miss my friends and our enduring camradarie. Even though I enter a room for the first time and know nary a soul, within a short period of sitting and listening to the back and forth, I can instinctively recognize whether I am in the right place. It is the old "build it and they will come" rule in action, being applied -- good players will find a good room and habituate it often and long enough to bump into others, and on it goes. We players are certainly not all the same (except love of the game, probably more different than alike) from ditch diggers to doctors, though, we tend to somehow complement each other. Given sufficient time together, however, something cosmic occurs, and deep, lasting relationships are formed. The dichotomy of personalities found in a pool hall reminds me of the variety found among brothers and sisters -- as dissimilar as night and day, they are yet still undeniably family.

So, Justnum, its the old "half empty/full" drill. If, when Covid is gone, you will have a pool hall to return back to, count yourself lucky because some will not be as fortunate. Those who are found lacking will return to searching -- still a "full" result as real pool halls are out there, just beyond the horizon, and the anticipated rewards of discovery, myriad.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am native New Yorker.

I miss pool hall action in NYC.

It was a big part of my life. Playing in pool rooms and meeting new players. All that is over now.

I have been using AZ as a support group. Some of the users here have made comments.

This is the new normal. Anybody else from NYC interested in self identifying NYC status.

Its doubtful pool in nyc will open up.

What are your thoughts for pool in nyc in the future?

Funny, I'm in NY now about a mile from Steinway and heading there tonight to play.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
C'mon. In times of extreme crisis you going to turn particular on us? Be a sport, go on down and enjoy yourself. Sometimes, just sitting on the periphery and observing can be a fine time. Don't you NY boys bet on the side? I know y'all got to.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Undeniably so. Even in the aftermath of the pandemic, pool will reassume the challenges that plagued it before the pandemic, the most important one being keeping poolhalls on the radar of those who seek entertainment.

That said, though, this will be the challenge of every business offering leisure time entertainment that shut down. How will demand be rebuilt? On the surface, it would seem they will all face a similar challenge.

Will NYC residents resume congregating at the entertainment venues where large, poorly spaced crowds are the rule? Pro sports will have to face this issue in a big way. So will movie theaters. Places like Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall will face comparable challenges. Perhaps the poolroom will be a safer place than that offered by these leisure time options, and its share of the entertainment dollar might grow. Nobody really knows what's coming next, and despite the absolute certainty that some poolrooms will close due to the economic realities of the pandemic, it is far from certain that pool's place in the world of away-from-home leisure will be diminished.

It is truly painful to be without pool right now, and most of us know and greatly respect many of those in the poolroom business who have been financially assailed by the unprecedented realities of these times, but good times could possibly lie ahead for pool. We shall see, but my opinion is that, here in NYC, where APA and league play dominate the pool scene, the players will come back in droves.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nearly all the things I enjoy most in NYC, pool included, are on hold. No attending sporting events, no going to movie theaters, no going to concerts, no going to museums, no spending time in the libraries, no indoor dining at restaurants. Even a few of the things that are open should probably be closed.

Anytime I've seen footage of a poolroom during the pandemic, people are unmasked and not observing social distancing guidelines. For that reason, I doubt I'd return to the pool halls even if they were to open tomorrow. Poolroom proprietors are holding unsafe tournaments, too. A few more months of doing without pool, I fear, is what I'm stuck with.

Yes, this is the new normal, just as you say, or as Conan O'Brien put it "staying in is the new going out." That said, science has already beaten COVID, so there are grounds for optimism.
I'm with you sjm. Pool halls have been open here off and on all summer and I have stayed away. I would really love to support the owners but I work with too many people and have family members who would likely have a rough time if they got sick. I probably would have a tough time too but I might take that risk if it only affected me. As it is I haven't played pool since March 7th. And I won't until I either get a table at home or we achieve a safe level of herd immunity. Even if I get the vaccine I won't risk bringing it home to my family until they are all vaccinated or the virus is essentially wiped out.

I've been quarantined again the last week due to a co-worker testing positive after hosting a Christmas party at her home. What sucks is that she had a party for Christmas...and the other 100 of us had to separate ourselves from our immediate families for New Years' Eve just in case.

This was the 4th time I've been quarantined since it started. Thankfully everyone at work tested negative and we can all return to work on Thursday. Everybody in our workplace is masked nearly 100% of the time.

justnum

Silver Member
In my area when I was growing up a pool hall was on the main road. This location is only 20 minutes from Carom Cafe.

The room owner said the cost of operation is to high especially without the support.

It has become a discount shopping store that reminds of pool hall owner realities.

Future profits don't solve current bills.

My workplace is remaining virtual for another 16 weeks. I am not allowed to enter the workplace, unless previous authorization is given.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
My perception is that many very good, even great, pool halls were closed across the US throughout the 20th century. Before 1930, the US had 42,000 pool rooms, with NYC alone having 4,000; Detroit’s Recreation pool hall had 142 tables; and San Francisco’s Graney pool hall had a 400-seat spectator gallery. How many pool halls are there in the 5 boroughs today? In the US as a whole? Detroit's largest pool hall? Today's largest spectator area? Does anyone have any comparable figures reflecting on the size and health of today's pool world?

What reasonable explanations are available to explain the deviations?

justnum

Silver Member
My perception is that many very good, even great, pool halls were closed across the US throughout the 20th century. Before 1930, the US had 42,000 pool rooms, with NYC alone having 4,000; Detroit’s Recreation pool hall had 142 tables; and San Francisco’s Graney pool hall had a 400-seat spectator gallery. How many pool halls are there in the 5 boroughs today? In the US as a whole? Detroit's largest pool hall? Today's largest spectator area? Does anyone have any comparable figures reflecting on the size and health of today's pool world?

you didnt post on the correct social platform

keep posting i think this is going in the right direction

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member

I don't have any answers to your questions, but wish someone did. What the heck happened to our great sport?

The World Dart Championship just recently concluded, where they paid out £500,000 ($682,670 USD) to the winner with an overall purse of £2,500,000 ($3,413,645 USD) - for (extremely talented) guys throwing needles at an approx 18 inch target from 7 feet 9 inches. Of course, I understand they had bookmaker, William Hill as the sponsor.

So, given that we had 42,000 pool rooms in the US prior to 1930, I wonder what lessons we can learn from not parlaying that into a massive, world class sport, by the year 2020? I understand volumes could be written about this...and perhaps have been, would love to read them and/or just hear your thoughts here...

Slightly unrelated, but since we are here to discuss things, we did manage to rate number 59 out of 60 in ESPN's degree of difficulty in sport ratings:

Even when sorting by analytic aptitude at above link, we only managed a top 20, with horse racing coming in above billiards - which is a head shaker for me...but I admittedly do not know anything about horse racing except seeing an occasional race on TV.

Perhaps a great turnaround is in our future. Not sure how, but hope springs eternal.

~Razor

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't have any answers to your questions, but wish someone did. What the heck happened to our great sport?

The World Dart Championship just recently concluded, where they paid out £500,000 ($682,670 USD) to the winner with an overall purse of £2,500,000 ($3,413,645 USD) - for (extremely talented) guys throwing needles at an approx 18 inch target from 7 feet 9 inches. Of course, I understand they had bookmaker, William Hill as the sponsor.

So, given that we had 42,000 pool rooms in the US prior to 1930, I wonder what lessons we can learn from not parlaying that into a massive, world class sport, by the year 2020? I understand volumes could be written about this...and perhaps have been, would love to read them and/or just hear your thoughts

Polsky wrote a great book called "Hustlers, Cheats, and Others" in the 1960s that describes the fall of the pool culture of the 1930s. Basically his research says that the suburban lifestyle killed the urban density needed for pool halls. And that a lot more men got married instead of shooting pool all day. Polsky's book is still in print.

But why professional pool isn't on equal footing today with professional darts I have no idea. Perhaps clips of bullseyes get more clicks than 9 ball runouts?