Physical Therapy For The Back

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My back has been sore a long time. Long story short, I finally got my Nurse Practitioner (she's hot!) to refer me to a rehab place for therapy. Do any of you experts have any experience with this? If so, what should I be telling the PT person? Any specific exercises? Or at this point should I just go with the flow, try the normal/regular/routine therapy?

r/DCP

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
My back has been sore a long time. Long story short, I finally got my Nurse Practitioner (she's hot!) to refer me to a rehab place for therapy. Do any of you experts have any experience with this? If so, what should I be telling the PT person? Any specific exercises? Or at this point should I just go with the flow, try the normal/regular/routine therapy?

r/DCP
Stance helps too--for older players/younger players with bad backs, I have them stance as if they're wanting to pick up the table, knees bent, leaning over the shot from the hips and not the waist--they then report that stance-ing that way for hours at the table makes their lower back stronger.

Other corrections can be made if it's issues with upper back or neck. Tell us more if so.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By all means, tell your therapist that you shoot pool and show him or her your stance and how you lean when you are playing. Ask them if your position at the table is hurting your injured area and ask for their suggestions. I've worked with players with back issues and we worked together with the therapists recommendations to adjust their stance so that we didn't add to the injury.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no pt here, but I've done plenty
"back pain" is pretty vague, try and get a diagnosis
drs. are good, but don't depend on them- google is yr pal
and no one knows your body better than you do
once you know what's wrong, you can fix it
for pool (and in general), core-strengthening seems prudent
it might take time to feel better, but stick with it-
let us know how it goes..good luck and heal well

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

r/DCP
Don't forget to tell her you think she is hot and ask for her number so you can call her to consult about injuries. NP's like to be available to help their patients.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to tell her you think she is hot and ask for her number so you can call her to consult about injuries. NP's like to be available to help their patients.
Don't even kid around about stuff like that. Do you want to get him in hot water? That's sexual harassment. Don't believe me? You try it sometime and see where it gets you.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By all means, tell your therapist that you shoot pool and show him or her your stance and how you lean when you are playing. Ask them if your position at the table is hurting your injured area and ask for their suggestions. I've worked with players with back issues and we worked together with the therapists recommendations to adjust their stance so that we didn't add to the injury.

I went to PT today. My first time. I took your advice. I told the doc about being a pool player and all the bending over at the table every day.

Not sure if any of this is going to help but I suppose its worth a try.

r/DCP

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Be sure to stick with it. At times PT will feel like it's getting you nowhere and it's a waste of time. Talk with your therapist if you feel this way, it may mean you're ready to move on to a different stage or different techniques. It's worth sticking through because it really does help in the long run. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus she is married with three kids.........

r/DCP

I have been playing off and on with a fused back for years. Physical therapy is great. I also recommend Yoga and walking (interesting tip check out your shoe insoles and arch supports.

Even though I am not carrying extra weight my feet needed arch supports (helped my back pain).

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Fran s advice is the one and only- meeting a physio therapist is necessary and important ( good that you made it).
As you can see clearly, usually every of the professionals nowadays are working out daily. For sure not because it s fun :) it s absolutley necessary, because pool is "brutal". You re doing non stop non- natural stuff. it is "very one-sided", too.

Hope you found a physio, who gives you a sports program to get you back on track.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasnt too thrilled with the place where I went. Plus it cost me almost twice as much as what they told me.

Anyway, I've stopped going. I didnt see any reason to pay them $125 to go up there and do some exercises that I can do at home.

r/DCP

Last edited:

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the exercises I do for my back after my doctor(s) and therapists determined the cause of my back issues.
Planks are a great exercise to strengthen the core, build stamina without putting unnecessary pressure on the back of spine.

Leg raises, maintains a flat back while performing.

Dead Bugs are excellent as are Table Top presses and table tops with rows.

After I built up my strength and stamina along with good form we would include various jack knifes.

One of the most effective exercise were the kettle bell swings, I started with zero weight until my form was perfect. But for me the swings really built my strength, flexibility, and endurance. Most importantly the swings helped me get my lower body,hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, etc working as they should be. As with any exercise, maintaining proper form is paramount. Otherwise a person risks injury, pain, along with not gaining the benefits of the exercises.

We mixed in some yoga and Pilates as I progressed, people talk down on those types of exercise but were amazing for my back.

When you get down in your stance have someone check to see if you have a flat back or arching your back, a broom handle, cue or anything will work. Place it from in between the shoulders down to your butt. As you bend at your hips if you can't maintain a flat back the handle will come off the lower back and rock on the middle of the back.

None of this is medical advice, just a short story of how I worked on my back problems. 😊