Joe Porper has passed

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad news that Joe Porper has passed away has been posted by his magic company's Facebook page.

As a pool playing magician there were 2 items I wanted to protect the most important things I use in each world - a Porper Card Clip for my cards and a Pirper cue case for my cues. I was lucky enough to get both and they were both incredible. In fact the cue case was, BY FAR, the best I have ever owned.

Mr Porper, thank you for your kindness, for the tip gadgets you kindly gave me, the One Pocket lesson you dished out and for teaching me those shots that I have used in more than a couple of matches.

Rest well Sir.

(Admins - if this is already elsewhere, please feel free to delete to stop duplication)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved those older wood block based 2X4 proper cases- Hunting down the older Meucci Originals for resale in the early 2000s- you would almost always find them inside a Proper cue case! I still own a mint classic Porper protect a cue case-a keeper from a bygone era in pool. He added a lot to the game in his own way. Hats Off to you , Joe!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aww, sad news about a man who contributed greatly to pool and had the fortune of doing what he loved for a living.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That's a shame. Joe was very innovative, came up with a lot of useful products. RIP.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
My favorite set of joint caps came from Joe - smooth aluminum Creative Inventions with the name engraved around the sides

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Condolences to his family. He was a heck of an inventor, one who knew how to make a product with elegance through simplicity and also understood a good tool doesn't have to cost a fortune.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The sad news that Joe Porper has passed away has been posted by his magic company's Facebook page.

As a pool playing magician there were 2 items I wanted to protect the most important things I use in each world - a Porper Card Clip for my cards and a Pirper cue case for my cues. I was lucky enough to get both and they were both incredible. In fact the cue case was, BY FAR, the best I have ever owned.

Mr Porper, thank you for your kindness, for the tip gadgets you kindly gave me, the One Pocket lesson you dished out and for teaching me those shots that I have used in more than a couple of matches.

Rest well Sir.

(Admins - if this is already elsewhere, please feel free to delete to stop duplication)

So sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family.

I worked with Joe for several years 20 years ago, selling his cues and magic for him on ebay. I just liked him and helped him out and took a few cues in trade. One of his cues, a scrimshawed Jazz cue, white scrim against black horn, won the People's Choice award one year at the ICCS cue show and that was the highlight of his cue making career.

Joe was a very creative cue maker and well known for his cases, but in the magic world, he was a legend. He stopped making magic for awhile while he concentrated on his case and custom cue business, but when he sold the case business to Mueller's and the cue business slowed down, he went back to his magic tricks. He made two piece magic wands from exotic woods and I could sell them as quickly as he could make them. His magic cups sets were the same, highly sought after and quite expensive. His magic ring sets were famous and he had a multitude of famous tricks from paddles to money clips. The ideas just kept flowing from Joe .

Joe was a very hard worker and quite talented. He will be missed.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP, Joe was a super nice guy talk to about his cases and products. Lol making me feel old we are talking about conversations back in 80s.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is so sad to see renown names in pool pass thru heavens gate.
We see this in all sports like baseball losing so many HOF players.

With pool, it seems to be a much smaller audience and so when
someone of notoriety leaves us, like Joe Porper, it’s a bigger deal.

The greatest treasure in life is not any wealth we accumulate or the
awards or titles we might have won. Nope, it’s how we’re remembered.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Damn! Joe was a dear friend of mine. He made a special cue for me that I will never sell. Made from some very exotic burl wood with ivory inlays. Maybe the most unique and beautiful cue I own. More importantly, Joe was an honorable man who acted with integrity at all times. He only knew how to tell the truth!

His company Creative Inventions lived up to its name, with many fine products that were somehow better than any we had seen before. In his small facility in Chatsworth, CA, Joe turned out one innovative thing after another. The Pool world was fortunate to have Joe Porper be part of it.

Shalom my friend.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe was a tremendous innovator, always coming up with useful tools and gadgets for pool players. It's hard to believe he's gone.

RIP, Joe.

Lou Figueroa

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Every one of his gadgets I tried worked better than I hoped. I wish I had met the man.

Dang.

Jeff Livingston