First Cue Help $100-$200

KPro1234

We finally have the space to add a decent pool table and would like to find a solid first cue. I have a few one piece cues for friends and and some for my kids, but the wife and I both enjoy playing and would like something a little better.

Researched a bunch reviews and manufacturers; thought I found a great cue for the money, a Schmelke Sneaky Pete. After ordering it, I was told it was out of stock. I then stumbled down the rabbit hole of low deflection cues. Now I have no idea which direction to go in.

Can anyone recommend a good cue for between $100-$200?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

This is an amazing cue, no better quality for the money,I've played with tons and I've settled on this for Good

It'll last a lifetime as well,

I've got this exact one going on 2 yrs now and my cue buying days are over unless something happens to it, I'm which I'll buy the se thing again, it breaks as good as it plays

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could probably get 2 or 3 decent cues at a pawn shop for that much. Just make sure you roll them.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
We finally have the space to add a decent pool table and would like to find a solid first cue. I have a few one piece cues for friends and and some for my kids, but the wife and I both enjoy playing and would like something a little better.

Researched a bunch reviews and manufacturers; thought I found a great cue for the money, a Schmelke Sneaky Pete. After ordering it, I was told it was out of stock. I then stumbled down the rabbit hole of low deflection cues. Now I have no idea which direction to go in.

Oooops

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
You will get several replies but throughout the years a few are mentioned over and over again. Schmelke is one and I own several.They are fine cues in your price range. And yes Players cues are a good value, I would not be to concerned with the whole LD thing if you are a casual player. Balabushkas are also good cues but hard to find.

Welcome to the forum, and let us know what you end up deciding.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is an amazing cue, no better quality for the money,I've played with tons and I've settled on this for Good

I've got this exact one going on 2 yrs now and my cue buying days are over unless something happens to it, I'm which I'll buy the se thing again, it breaks as good as it plays
I can enthusiastically second this recommendation that there is no better $ value lower end priced cue on the market in my opinion than a Player’s Sneaky Pete model two piece cue, which should cost less than $100 ($84 on Seyberts). It’s offered in 3 different attractive stain options. It hits/feels as solid as any high end cue. You can’t go wrong for a lower price point cue - we sell a ton of them in our pool room.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would seriously consider buying used, you get much more cue for your buck that way. There's probably a facebook group for pool players in your area, I'd make a post there asking for people to post the cues they have that they'd be willing to part with for $200 or less. Wait a week or so for replies, and pick the one you like best. A lot of the time people have good cues laying around that they can't be bothered to sell, but will come out of the woodwork to help set up a new player.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Does this cue have a collar, or does it look like a one piece when screwed together?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Comes with a freakin lepro tip,
And a uv finish on it that I can say has stayed glossy as hell after 2 yrs o heavy use

terpdad

Registered
Schmelke or Players. Call Schmelke directly. IIRC, you can get an LD shaft for ~ $30 more. You could also look at Players' Pure X line & get a very respectable LD cue that's still under $200.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mezz usa site has a sale on the ec7 line. Definitely a little longer your budget but worth it.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Don't buy a Benz for your first car, and don't spend $500 for your first cue. I wouldn't spend more than $200. My first cue in 1965 was a jointed cue called a Rocket for $20, after time, I could then test a better made cue and Understand it's differences.....Similar to getting a 16 yr old their first car. Would it be new Or??? :) have fun, welcome to our addiction.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2nd this. I got the Cocobolo version and I really like it. It is a beautiful cue to and plays very nice. A friend got one and after playing with his I ordered one myself. You cannot go wrong with it or the price.