First Cue Help $100-$200

capt hook

Registered
We finally have the space to add a decent pool table and would like to find a solid first cue. I have a few one piece cues for friends and and some for my kids, but the wife and I both enjoy playing and would like something a little better.

Researched a bunch reviews and manufacturers; thought I found a great cue for the money, a Schmelke Sneaky Pete. After ordering it, I was told it was out of stock. I then stumbled down the rabbit hole of low deflection cues. Now I have no idea which direction to go in.

Can anyone recommend a good cue for between $100-$200?
Most cues are similar. Price is usually determined with the details of the butt. Go somewhere that will allow you to try out what they have and find what's right for you. If it's a decent price get it. If not shop it on line

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really appreciate all of the feedback and recommendations. Looking at tips, when I buy the cue should I upgrade right from the start? The Players comes with a Le Pro leather tip the Schmelke with an Elk Master Soft Tip.

Head to a pool hall, make some friends, and see what they have you can try. Without knowing what works well with your play ability and style it's like trying to guess how much you will like a meal based on the ingredients without knowing what will be done to them. If you are around MA I have 3 cases full of cues and shafts you are welcome to try :)

Once you get a general idea of a preference then you can look at similar designs and performance in various price ranges. I give the same advice for audio equipment and anything that involves an opinion, without trying a lot of things anything you buy is just a start and no way to know if it's better or worse than the other 40 things out there.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We finally have the space to add a decent pool table and would like to find a solid first cue. I have a few one piece cues for friends and and some for my kids, but the wife and I both enjoy playing and would like something a little better.

Researched a bunch reviews and manufacturers; thought I found a great cue for the money, a Schmelke Sneaky Pete. After ordering it, I was told it was out of stock. I then stumbled down the rabbit hole of low deflection cues. Now I have no idea which direction to go in.

Can anyone recommend a good cue for between $100-$200?
You can find a lot of cues for under 200.00 that would be great for your first cue Schmelke , Players Sneaky , Adams and a few others. If you live close enough to Philly go the Billiard Expo and you will find a lot of cues for under 200.00 . Sunday you get the best deals plus you can hit a few balls with the cue as well.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've got the zebra wood, never seen it before and it's noice
Rose and coco are also purdy
Player's zebrawood sneaky arrived today. $84 from Seybert's and was shipped in a half decent hard case.
Dead nuts straight, seamless joint, perfect LePro tip. Plays better than it looks.
Had to remind myself to take it home, looks that genuine, right down to the uneven points. :rolleyes:

Couldn't be more pleased.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_141843_copy_868x1156_copy_347x462.jpg
    IMG_20210130_141843_copy_868x1156_copy_347x462.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 108

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player's zebrawood sneaky arrived today. $84 from Seybert's and was shipped in a half decent hard case.
Dead nuts straight, seamless joint, perfect LePro tip. Plays better than it looks.
Had to remind myself to take it home, looks that genuine, right down to the uneven points. :rolleyes:

Couldn't be more pleased.
Thanks.
Hate to sound like a broken record but the Players sneaky Pete is dang gone near perfect. For the Price of admission I don’t think you could find any better Cue. The looks , Hit and playability far supersede the price. It has been said that Players come from the same factory as Lucasi and Predator cues. If So I understand the Quality being what they are. I love mine.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Any opinions on the Viking Valhalla cue?
I am a big fan of the modern US made Viking Cues, but do not care at all for the imported Valhalla line they sell.

Even with the US made stuff I'd recommend upgrading to the Vikore Shaft and that puts them out of your range unless you catch a closeout on Ebay. I have purchased several that way under $200 but it is rare.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i told a buddy about the players cue, he bought one, his zebra wood isnt as nice as mine, but near the joint, theres a bit of curly in the maple that looks amazing, especially on a fresh new finished sneaky
the case it came with was legit,
makes me want to buy another one just for that new cue fun