Ariel Carmeli cue playability

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Howdy to all the fellow AZB'rs out there. Just starting a thread to see how many others were, and or are, still impressed with how well or fantastic their Carmeli cue has been playing. I picked mine up a month or so ago from Bill Grassley at Cornerstone cues here in Michigan. Since the bars are just reopening I'm finally getting to use it! And it plays great for me. This could be the first cue I actually look forward to shooting with. I've had some really nice cues by top tier makers, and while they had no imperfections, and were balanced very well, and were beautiful with lots of inlays and choice woods with tons of grain pattern. None of them felt at home in my hands. Usually the first thing I do is change the tips on the shafts to Moori medium. But even with the stock triangle tips I'm having zero issues with draw or follow or side spin. I am of course still getting use to the cue and tip combo so not everything is perfect! Of course, it wasn't with any other cue I owned either(ha ha ha). I've let a few friends hold my Carmeli and shoot a few balls into pockets and they all feel the same way I do. "Its just so damn smooth!" and "it feels like theres no effort needed to move the cue ball" is what I keep hearing and saying. The cue weighs 18.9 to 19.2 depending on shaft used, yet everyone who held it guessed the weight at 18 or so ounces. I'm just really happy with the cue. I've even stopped shopping for other cues! Its actually a nice feeling to not constantly be on the hunt for a cue that (might be a better cue by a better maker). I'm actually content and excited to get back on the table and continue trying to expand my shot making and getting better shape on my next shots. If you have had a similar experience with your Ariel Carmeli cues, please feel free to tell us about your experiences. Thanks for reading and take care all. Keep your heads down and follow through!

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Can we see some pics! What's that cue in your avatar? Let's see some of that one too!
I've tried uploading some pics but the site says they're to large. The avatar pic is of the Carmeli I referred to in the first post. It's a 4 point 4 veneered cue. Birdseye maple, ebony points with the old school black, orange, green, maple veneers. Has a black spanish bull leather wrap with inlayed butt sleeve. Also, joint sleeve and buttcap are believed to be ivory, not sure though.
20210102_183731.jpg

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice! Beautiful cue!

If you open an image on your computer/phone, whatever software allowed you to open the image should provide a way to adjust the size, and 600 x 400 pixels (width x height) is about the right size.

tabi1

Registered
Very beautiful cue, love the veneers. If you like the way it feels that's all that matters.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Awesome cue, thanks for sharing. I have had a couple of Ariel's cues and they were both very solid players.

Play with it in the greatest of health.

-don

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Nice! Beautiful cue!

If you open an image on your computer/phone, whatever software allowed you to open the image should provide a way to adjust the size, and 600 x 400 pixels (width x height) is about the right size.
Hi, the images are on my phone. I looked for a option to resize the image, but so far the only time reformatting has been available is if I'm sending an email with attachments. And thank you for the cue compliment!

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Very beautiful cue, love the veneers. If you like the way it feels that's all that matters.
Thank you, the veneers do stand out when viewed in person. I've always liked the (what I call the original titlist veneers.) And it does feel exceptionally well balanced for me!

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Awesome cue, thanks for sharing. I have had a couple of Ariel's cues and they were both very solid players.

Play with it in the greatest of health.

-don
Thanks for sharing Don. Did you like the balance point of both cues? What are you shooting with now days?

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing Don. Did you like the balance point of both cues? What are you shooting with now days?
They were both very consistent regarding balance and feel. I am currently using an EDC cue by Jules Patterson and I have a Bluegrass full-splice.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I HAVE 2 CUES From Ariel Carmeli-
BOTH VERY WELL CONSTRUCTED AND BOTH SUPERB PLAYING CUES-
Ariel has been at it for quite some time too.
I was always glad to hear Alex is sponsored by Carmeli cues too

TxBullDog

Registered
I still have five cues ahead of it by large margin for hit and feel... Diveney, Scruggs, Lambros, Sugartree, Tascarella.... I might even add Searing, Josey and Southwest ahead of the Carmeli cues also.... For me the Carmeli are in the second tier of hit and feel with Jacoby and Nitti....

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I still have five cues ahead of it by large margin for hit and feel... Diveney, Scruggs, Lambros, Sugartree, Tascarella.... I might even add Searing, Josey and Southwest ahead of the Carmeli cues also.... For me the Carmeli are in the second tier of hit and feel with Jacoby and Nitti....
WHAT ABOUT ANDY GILBERT???

TxBullDog

Registered
WHAT ABOUT ANDY GILBERT???
Not on my list unless we talking about a jump/break combo cue… He makes a great versatile cue for break and jumping but IMO better hitting performance cue makers by a large margin. Still pick Lambros, Scruggs, Dieveny, Sugartree or Tascarella over any Gilbert player cue…

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not on my list unless we talking about a jump/break combo cue… He makes a great versatile cue for break and jumping but IMO better hitting performance cue makers by a large margin. Still pick Lambros, Scruggs, Dieveny, Sugartree or Tascarella over any Gilbert player cue…
THANK YOU

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
I had some exposure to a few different Carmeli cues owned by my buddies, and always liked the way they felt when I tried them. When I bought my own, the first time I used it, I was immediately sure I'd made the right decision. It felt like the cue I'd always been looking for -- perfect. It'll never leave my hands.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with the Carmeli cues I’ve seen in person and tried is it has been hit & miss.
The workmanship is sharp and very clean. His designs emulate what others have done but
for that matter, so have other cue makers. The only shortcoming I’ve noted is there’s been a
couple of cues I tried & the shafts were light (3.3 & 3.4 ounces). The weight balance seemed
off or at least inconsistent at different stroke speeds. The cue butts were mid-upper 15 ozs.
The cues sure were pretty but as I wrote, it depends on the cue based on my limited experience.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a hard stroke, you don’t notice the balance or feel as much as with a slower stroke.
Speed can affect different aspects, like squirt and defection as examples. The balance
gets translated into feedback and with lighter shafts, the tendency, or at least for me it
is, to push the stroke through completion because of the weight differential between the
shaft and the cue butt. The best cue makers traditionally adhered to weight proportionality.

You’d be hard put to find a light weight shaft on one of those cues unless the customer
asked it to be made that way. The best weight ratios, IMO, are 20% to 23 % and 18% is
the lowest weight ratio I’d ever consider. All of my cues use a 21-22% shaft weight ratio
and it just seems like the cue stroke feels better even with various hand position changes.
My cue makers concurred because we discussed this very topic prior to making my cues.