I got $1,500 so tell me........

JayRack

What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.

9ballscorpion

Thanks. Where is it?

Future Dates • Super Billiards Expo

LOCATION​

"The Super Billiards Expo is held annually at:

Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks
100 Station Ave
Oaks, PA 19456

You can call them directly for assistance with directions or any other local area questions at (484)754-EXPO
If this address gives you trouble with your GPS, please use this instead: 1601 Egypt Rd Phoenixville, PA 19460 (Upper Providence Township)
For travel directions and assistance, visit the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center website for more details."

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had quite a few cues over the years. For me, Lambros and Tascarella beat all the others out there in terms of the hit. For production cues, you will not find anything better than Schon or Mezz. Just my 2 cents

You will need to stretch your budget a little bit if you want a Tasc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayRack

I’ve had quite a few cues over the years. For me, Lambros and Tascarella beat all the others out there in terms of the hit. For production cues, you will not find anything better than Schon or Mezz. Just my 2 cents

You will need to stretch your budget a little bit if you want a Tasc

👍

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really depends on what you like as far as a joint construction. Big pin wood to wood I recommend a second hand Jeff Olney or a new Troy Downey.
For an "Old School" piloted steel jointed cue it's Garten Bierbower, "ALL DAY". You can get a custom build the way you want it and not run out of money. Here's a link to his website.
www.BierbowerCues.com Good luck with your search.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention Paul Drexler (PFD cues). A very fine cue maker who turns great hitting cues. PFDs are radial pin so getting a matching CF shaft is easy

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.
Allow me to toss my $0.0002 in.
Years ago I looked for THAT CUE like you are now. I almost found it in a bar as a 1-piece house cue. It had a really good hit whether it was soft stroke to break it just performed. OH, it was almost a constant taper.
So one night as I walked out I took that cue for a stroll. I pampered it with a 5/16-18 joint and med-hard tip. Dressed it with a very thin brass washer, just to give it "IT'S MINE, NOT A HOUSE CUE" designation. Over the following weeks I recut the shafts cone/taper back and with each cut it became more & more alive. Around 18-20 inches of Pro-Cut it was about right,... for me. Sanded the whole thing & finished in rattle can acrylic clear coat (it's what I had on hand).
Well, I went on to win nearly every local tourney with it. Ball size or weight didn't matter that cue did it's job admirably.
Total cost? Under a BUCK.
I must say, that cue directed me to what I was looking for in a manufactured cue and the first store bought cue was a (early 90s) JACKSON CUE. I re-cut the shaft 2 or 3 times for 'my hit' and it was fine. So fine that someone wanted it more than I. Next purchase I went to a cue-maker closest to me, Ray Schuler. That's a story for some other time.
Moral? . . .
Someone here mentioned it's not the car, it's the driver. Mostly true, there's only 1 driver and he can adjust to any car by changing parts but eventually that 1 particular vehicle will suit him to a 'T'. Same for your cue.
GOOD LUCK finding your 'needle', it's a mighty big haystack out there.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where are you located? It is best to go test hit a cue. Find a reputable cuemaker near enough for you to go test hit a cue.
I once had a guy drive all the way from Tallahasse, FL to north GA to test hit one of mine.

JayRack

Allow me to toss my $0.0002 in.
Years ago I looked for THAT CUE like you are now. I almost found it in a bar as a 1-piece house cue. It had a really good hit whether it was soft stroke to break it just performed. OH, it was almost a constant taper.
So one night as I walked out I took that cue for a stroll. I pampered it with a 5/16-18 joint and med-hard tip. Dressed it with a very thin brass washer, just to give it "IT'S MINE, NOT A HOUSE CUE" designation. Over the following weeks I recut the shafts cone/taper back and with each cut it became more & more alive. Around 18-20 inches of Pro-Cut it was about right,... for me. Sanded the whole thing & finished in rattle can acrylic clear coat (it's what I had on hand).
Well, I went on to win nearly every local tourney with it. Ball size or weight didn't matter that cue did it's job admirably.
Total cost? Under a BUCK.
I must say, that cue directed me to what I was looking for in a manufactured cue and the first store bought cue was a (early 90s) JACKSON CUE. I re-cut the shaft 2 or 3 times for 'my hit' and it was fine. So fine that someone wanted it more than I. Next purchase I went to a cue-maker closest to me, Ray Schuler. That's a story for some other time.
Moral? . . .
Someone here mentioned it's not the car, it's the driver. Mostly true, there's only 1 driver and he can adjust to any car by changing parts but eventually that 1 particular vehicle will suit him to a 'T'. Same for your cue.
GOOD LUCK finding your 'needle', it's a mighty big haystack out there.

I really think there is a cue out there that could be the difference in a last two and a head up game if u catch my drift. I believe that. Searching for that cue.

JayRack

The brown mezz sneaky I was going to purchase from another member here at AZ fell through. He wants to keep it. So I'm back looking. He recommended the mezz exceed.

Since I'm back to the drawing board. Let me rephrase the question.

If you had $400-$1,500 what cue would you buy? You can spend $500 and keep $1,000 or you can spend the whole $1,500. By the way the $1,500 was giving to you for the purchase. It's not your own spending money.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I really think there is a cue out there that could be the difference in a last two and a head up game if u catch my drift. I believe that. Searching for that cue.
I catch.
I sold my Schuler, it was close to what I want but it was at it's last cuts for me.
I currently have maybe 1/2 doz. Sneaky Pete's that's rotating in ReCuts & playing.

One shaft I made a ferrule that's really promising but its beauty maintenance is sort of high, twice a year buffing.
It made the cue's hit really lively and it's on its 3rd year of testing. So far it's held up to extreme Masse's & Power Breaks.
I'll be putting one of these on my new Ultimate Jacoby shaft. Finished re-jointing it to fit all my Butts, rotate testing now.
BTW: The 64 vs 128 layer Jacoby shafts are noticeably different hits.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The brown mezz sneaky I was going to purchase from another member here at AZ fell through. He wants to keep it. So I'm back looking. He recommended the mezz exceed.

Since I'm back to the drawing board. Let me rephrase the question.

If you had $400-$1,500 what cue would you buy? You can spend $500 and keep $1,000 or you can spend the whole $1,500. By the way the $1,500 was giving to you for the purchase. It's not your own spending money.
Yet another +1 for Mezz products...

Was willing to spend a little more than yourself, and ran the same gambit of Predator vs this vs custom... etc. That also includes experience hitting the majority of Predator tech. As soon as I hit my Exceed in a demo I was sold. Ended up dropping nearly double my budget I loved it that much.

Not saying to blow the full 1500 which would easily get you into the Exceed models. However as others have already noted the standard Mezz is nearly as good. I wanted a trophy cue, I believe you want a travelling player. Only makes sense to save a little and get something that plays just as well.

Enjoy

Took me a few minutes to sort out the quoting order, but the point is my advice hasn't changed...lol