Brand new Diamond table marking balls

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally posted in the ask a mechanic forum, but figured it might get more visibility here.

In the last few months I got a brand new Diamond 9' professional. Black leather pockets. My balls get marked to the point I'm wiping off marks multiple times per session. After searching this forum, it sounded like it was supposed to be an "old" Diamond table problem, not a brand new table problem. Thoughts? Should I bring this up with Diamond?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally posted in the ask a mechanic forum, but figured it might get more visibility here.

In the last few months I got a brand new Diamond 9' professional. Black leather pockets. My balls get marked to the point I'm wiping off marks multiple times per session. After searching this forum, it sounded like it was supposed to be an "old" Diamond table problem, not a brand new table problem. Thoughts? Should I bring this up with Diamond?
Contact Diamond.

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
I have a diamond Pro-Am and got tired of cleaning the balls so I ordered a set of new pockets that don't leave the marks... should have done that years ago..the professional takes a different style of pocket usually with a leather or fabric basket attached..90 percent of diamond tables that are proams and smart tableswere were able to fix the problem with the same pockets I bought...you sir are in the OTHER 10 percent of table owners..

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a diamond Pro-Am and got tired of cleaning the balls so I ordered a set of new pockets that don't leave the marks... should have done that years ago..the professional takes a different style of pocket usually with a leather or fabric basket attached..90 percent of diamond tables that are proams and smart tableswere were able to fix the problem with the same pockets I bought...you sir are in the OTHER 10 percent of table owners..
Sounds like you should contact Diamond and that you shouldn’t have to pay for the replacement pockets.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Mine does that as well. If you hit balls hard into the pockets, they get dirty. I did contact them about it and there wasn't really an easy solution.

-td

289FIA

Is it dye from the leather?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I too thought this problem was fixed 10 years ago. Was it only fixed for the Pro-Am and not the Professional?

ktm125

Registered
I got my pro-am in 2006 and had to pay Diamond to redo the pockets right after I got it.
The marks come from the pocket dye...I still get some marks but my original pockets were very bad.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my pro-am in 2006 and had to pay Diamond to redo the pockets right after I got it.
The marks come from the pocket dye...I still get some marks but my original pockets were very bad.
Unacceptable for a company that touts themselves as making the best playing pool tables in the world, and for the prices they are charging. If he’s talking about a virtually new table only a few months old, he needs to insist on Diamond replacing the pockets, preferably including the labor costs as well.

Last edited:

289FIA

Unacceptable for a company that is trying to tout themselves as making the best playing pool tables in the world, and for the prices they are charging. If he’s talking about a virtually new table only a few months old, he needs to insist on Diamond replacing the pockets, preferably including the labor costs as well.

Aaron Burger is the sales manager for Diamond .. and he seems very responsive. Give him a call.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know there are thousands of Gold Crown guys laughing their butts off with all these Diamond problems. How many years to fix the cushions? Pockets? It's decades.
Yeah, I'm one of them. Sorry to the OP. But its true. As much innovation Diamond has brought to the table business, the problems they have had, they take 15 years to fix, and the fix isn't even that good.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the fixes they did do, the rails were from a couple of mechanics, and the improved dying processs was from a case maker. It didn't even come from within. It took decades of players complaining, and then outside people on their own accord coming up with their own solutions to bring it to Diamond for Diamond to even address the issues.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I talked to the dealer I was told "yeah, Diamonds do that, but it should go away with time once they break in." However, it seems to be getting worse. I was wondering how many others have been having the same issue; basically, should I "suck it up" or should I push harder.

So the "problem" pockets are inherent to the Professional model? What pocket did you buy? Is there a non-marking one that would fit my table?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I rubbed the contact points on the inside of my pockets with denatured alcohol(a little for me and a little for the pockets) when the table was new. Effectively removing the dye and have never had a problem since. It was a little bit of work with a white rag that showed the results. I turned the rag constantly and the rags were black when I was done. We, as Diamond owners should not have to do this but it worked for me very well. You can do the same with the materials I have listed.... oh don't forget the elbow grease.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I talked to the dealer I was told "yeah, Diamonds do that, but it should go away with time once they break in." However, it seems to be getting worse. I was wondering how many others have been having the same issue; basically, should I "suck it up" or should I push harder.

So the "problem" pockets are inherent to the Professional model? What pocket did you buy? Is there a non-marking one that would fit my table?
Push harder! If you don’t make a stink about it, they won’t do anything. If they care at all about customer service, they should. Did you purchase the table directly from Diamond or from a Diamond dealer? If purchased from a dealer, they should be the one that does what’s necessary to make it right.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rubbed the contact points on the inside of my pockets with denatured alcohol(a little for me and a little for the pockets) when the table was new. Effectively removing the dye and have never had a problem since. It was a little bit of work with a white rag that showed the results. I turned the rag constantly and the rags were black when I was done. We, as Diamond owners should not have to do this but it worked for me very well. You can do the same with the materials I have listed.... oh don't forget the elbow grease.
How old is your table? What effect did the alcohol have on the leather?

I'm worried about causing damage and voiding any warranty.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push harder! If you don’t make a stink about it, they won’t do anything. If they care at all about customer service, they should. Did you purchase the table directly from Diamond or from a Diamond dealer? If purchased from a dealer, they should be the one that does what’s necessary to make it right.
Dealer. He's the one who told me it's "normal" and after they break in it'll stop. But, it just seems to be getting worse.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
How old is your table? What effect did the alcohol have on the leather?

I'm worried about causing damage and voiding any warranty.
I installed the table in May of 2008.
no damaging effects on the pockets what’s so ever. The color of the inside of the pockets barely changed. I only rubbed the top inch and a half of the inside ball contact area.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
denatured alcohol(a little for me and a little for the pockets)
I know this is a joke, but in case someone doesn't get it, the denatured part of ethyl alcohol is that it's been made unfit for drinking, indeed, poisonous, and drinking it could make you blind or even kill you.

"denatured - make (alcohol) unfit for drinking by the addition of toxic or foul-tasting substances."