Opinions on personal protection

JC

Coos Cues
I have heard many time that if you're smelling it it's killing you. So on the other side of the coin if you are not able to smell it do you suppose you're ok? Or could it still be infiltrating your eyes and such.?

Decided to give auto clear coat a try so I rolled my sanding lathe on wheels outside and put on my trusty SAS mask and some safety goggles and long sleeve shirt with rubber gloves. Activated an $18 aerosol can of 2k and sprayed a few pieces with the over spray blowing past the cue into the air.

This was a short experiment to see if it was feasible to use this toxic stuff without building an indoor booth which I have nowhere to put. I could not smell it during this process and my nose is pretty sensitive. And I'm real prone to chemical alergies and I don't seem to have gotten any from this process. Opinions on this? I know none of you are doctors or scientists.

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to be a smoker, where you've already conceded your health.

Thanks,

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend burns incense sticks near where he is working , mainly for the smoke and deliberately chooses a smell he does not like. If the fan system is not extracting all that smell, get it fixed so that it does. No one wants epoxy poisoning. So my new outside shed is getting an extractor fan and a heat pump for heating and cooling.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If your blowing it straight outside...I would assume you don't like your neighbors......pushing the fumes over to their yard is NOT that friendly of a gesture, IMO. Filtration is supposed to be used before spewing to the neighborhood

PariahZero

Automotive clear is amazing stuff, but cars sit in the hot sun, freezing rain and snow, etc. for YEARS — while splashed in places with gasoline and diesel, no less. The hood of a red car easily reaches 170°F in the sun. (I’ve measured it myself)

I’m no expert, but i don’t believe that’s something a cue is expected to endure.

The isocyanates in automotive clear are liquid evil. Treat it like a chemical weapon. I have multiple family members who are sensitized to isos. One was nearly killed by ‘em, and has permanent lung damage.

Proper attire includes a full face mask forced supply clean air respirator ($$$$) complete with air lines, fully hooded Tyvek suit from the top of your head to toes. Your shoes go over the suit, which has little booties. Multiple layers of nitrile gloves, because isos shoot through nitrile like it’s nothing; latex and vinyl gloves are even worse.

You want literally no part of your body exposed. None. It absorbs through any exposed tissue. Skin, eyes, lungs... it is a sensitized, and exposure will give you asthma and likely cancer eventually.

NIOSH and manufacturers certify exactly zero respirator filters for isocyanates. You pump fresh air into your mask from far away. The PPE for automotive clear alone is probably $1500-2000, and that’s not counting a negative pressure spray booth and regulation compliant air filtration. It doesn’t really matter what state you are in, because the stuff may as well be chemical weapons.

My advice is do yourself a favor and avoid Automotive Urethane Clears like the plague. And if you don’t do that, you’d better treat the stuff like it is the plague and will kill you painfully.

JC

Coos Cues
If your blowing it straight outside...I would assume you don't like your neighbors......pushing the fumes over to their yard is NOT that friendly of a gesture, IMO. Filtration is supposed to be used before spewing to the neighborhood
I do not have any close neighbors Dave.

JC

Coos Cues
Automotive clear is amazing stuff, but cars sit in the hot sun, freezing rain and snow, etc. for YEARS — while splashed in places with gasoline and diesel, no less. The hood of a red car easily reaches 170°F in the sun. (I’ve measured it myself)

I’m no expert, but i don’t believe that’s something a cue is expected to endure.

The isocyanates in automotive clear are liquid evil. Treat it like a chemical weapon. I have multiple family members who are sensitized to isos. One was nearly killed by ‘em, and has permanent lung damage.

Proper attire includes a full face mask forced supply clean air respirator ($$$$) complete with air lines, fully hooded Tyvek suit from the top of your head to toes. Your shoes go over the suit, which has little booties. Multiple layers of nitrile gloves, because isos shoot through nitrile like it’s nothing; latex and vinyl gloves are even worse.

You want literally no part of your body exposed. None. It absorbs through any exposed tissue. Skin, eyes, lungs... it is a sensitized, and exposure will give you asthma and likely cancer eventually.

NIOSH and manufacturers certify exactly zero respirator filters for isocyanates. You pump fresh air into your mask from far away. The PPE for automotive clear alone is probably $1500-2000, and that’s not counting a negative pressure spray booth and regulation compliant air filtration. It doesn’t really matter what state you are in, because the stuff may as well be chemical weapons.

My advice is do yourself a favor and avoid Automotive Urethane Clears like the plague. And if you don’t do that, you’d better treat the stuff like it is the plague and will kill you painfully.
Thank you this is exactly what I needed to hear. Wondering out loud how many cue builders are using this toxin shy of these requirements for safety. No one need answer.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thank you this is exactly what I needed to hear. Wondering out loud how many cue builders are using this toxin shy of these requirements for safety. No one need answer.
I once went to a finishing shop . The place finished used cars for the car lot a block away from them. The car lot would drop used cars to them and have them re-clear them then sell them . The two painters freely walked through a cloud of Medallion snap auto clear coat . Heck, the head guy was not even wearing a mask. I kid you not. And they had two huge front draft . They went through a gallon of clear almost daily.
ps. Avoid Medallion clear. It's a POS clear coat.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Filters only remove solids. The vapors would still be expelled. Unless it’s charcoal filters. Where I used to work. We had fume incinerators. I used to spray about 20 gallons of Imron every day for years. Then come home and paint cars in my restoration shop. I have probably been exposed more than any ten cuemakers ever will. Proper safety is important.

larry

PariahZero

Filters only remove solids. The vapors would still be expelled. Unless it’s charcoal filters. Where I used to work. We had fume incinerators. I used to spray about 20 gallons of Imron every day for years. Then come home and paint cars in my restoration shop. I have probably been exposed more than any ten cuemakers ever will. Proper safety is important.

larry

I just can’t imagine a cue needing the extreme temperature, UV, and solvent resistance of automotive paint.

I’m about to try Createx’s newish UVLS clears - they aren’t up to the level of Automotive clears in terms of extreme solvent protection, but are water based and a whole lot safer than auto clears.

I paint fiberglass & other composites, though, not wood, and my stuff doesn’t stay outside like a car... so I have no idea if the UVLS clears would work on a cue.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I just can’t imagine a cue needing the extreme temperature, UV, and solvent resistance of automotive paint.

I’m about to try Createx’s newish UVLS clears - they aren’t up to the level of Automotive clears in terms of extreme solvent protection, but are water based and a whole lot safer than auto clears.

I paint fiberglass & other composites, though, not wood, and my stuff doesn’t stay outside like a car... so I have no idea if the UVLS clears would work on a cue.
There is a lot MORE to that why cue makers use auto clear coat .
First, it shines like no other . Water based clear has a haze when applied on very dark woods .
It adheres like no other . If you find one that adheres like auto clear, let us know .
When we spray clear then have to take some off with a sharp lathe bit to create the top and bottom shoulders of the wrap groove , we cry if the finish lifts or cracks .
Auto clear is so good, you can ding the wood and the clear will go with it and not crack.
Your fiberglass is a CAKE to finish compared to wood . Try cocobolo or ebony .
Most cue makers I know have given up on water based clear .
I've read and heard the hype on a ton of them .
And that actually includes me with the best one Rockler carries .
Then I saw one of my cues one year after I sprayed it .
It became hazy.
But, I hear you about safety .

PariahZero

Your fiberglass is a CAKE to finish compared to wood . Try cocobolo or ebony .

I don’t doubt it — fiberglass isn’t oily, it’s not really porous, it doesn’t warp... and they manufacture it specifically so stuff bonds well to it.

If the things I hear about cocobolo sawdust are remotely true, the itching of fiberglass just isn’t much to complain about in comparison.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a reliable glass clear finish that will work in all kinds og climate and not flake, crack or peel off, it's hard to come up with a alternative to 2K clear.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

larry
Imron was a beautiful finish. I only used it a short time. I dont think I have used a multi part auto spray finish in over 20 years now. But I must admit they were nice finishes.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imron killed many over an extended period of time. Design for the aeronautical industry.

Mario

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Imron killed many over an extended period of time. Design for the aeronautical industry.

Mario
I think it killed at least 3 hall of fame makers .
My late mentor swore it was the best finish he ever saw .
They became illegal in California shortly after he used it.
But, they were still legal in other states .

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After returning to cuemaking a few years ago I switched to a marine grade finish for my cues, it is called Awl Wood. Made by Awl Grip. I used it for some Burmese Teak front doors I built for a house some years back. It is by far the most durable finish I have ever used or seen. It will shine as good as an auto clear, no haze, no yellowing, no problems cutting the ends for a wrap.
It’s more difficult to work than any finish I have ever used because of its hardness. Humidity helps it cure which is great for me living in Florida.
It’s not any safer than any of the other finishes I’m sure.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
After returning to cuemaking a few years ago I switched to a marine grade finish for my cues, it is called Awl Wood. Made by Awl Grip. I used it for some Burmese Teak front doors I built for a house some years back. It is by far the most durable finish I have ever used or seen. It will shine as good as an auto clear, no haze, no yellowing, no problems cutting the ends for a wrap.
It’s more difficult to work than any finish I have ever used because of its hardness. Humidity helps it cure which is great for me living in Florida.
It’s not any safer than any of the other finishes I’m sure.
Damn you. Now, you made me look .