Best cheap digital caliper

JC

Coos Cues
This has been discussed here before and I've purchased some real crap based on the discussions.

I have had one of these for several years and a ton of others in the same price range.

This one is best and it's not even close. Bought two more recently and threw all the other junk away. The are just as good as the first one.

You're welcome

tomatoetom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been discussed here before and I've purchased some real crap based on the discussions.

I have had one of these for several years and a ton of others in the same price range.

This one is best and it's not even close. Bought two more recently and threw all the other junk away. The are just as good as the first one.

You're welcome
Are these the good ones?

PariahZero

My 2¢:

I have a nice set of Mitutoyo calipers, Micrometer, and a set of good Gage blocks.

I compared the measurements from the Mitutoyo calipers and micrometer against a couple sets of Harbor Freight Calipers, using the gage blocks as a standard.

All of the tools were completely within their published tolerances — and the Harbor Freight were accurate to .0005”

After asking on a machining forum, one of the experienced guys said that’s typical - the cheap ones work just fine. They just don’t last as long.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

I buy these. I have 4 of them around the shop. They can be had on sale for as cheap as $12. They work just fine and are accurate. At any given time I usually can only find 2 in my shop......

Kim

JC

Coos Cues
Are these the good ones?
They are the good ones that are not expensive. Have tried those harbor freight ones. Great if you want them to switch to mm and zero mid measurement. Second time they do that I pitch them in the trash can. I don't currently possess any if that says anything.

PariahZero

Great if you want them to switch to mm and zero mid measurement.

I’ve never had that happen to me, but can definitely agree it would be annoying. Are you sure you haven’t angered some sort of pool God and wound up cursed?

You get bonus points if you had a set of vernier calipers reset mid measurement! If that happened, you’re definitely cursed!

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coming from a tool room background, I purchased a Mitutoyo 6" and 12" many decades ago and all I do is change batteries.
The cheap ones are just that, they feel cheap, lose their zero, and are just annoying.
Buy once, cry once.

JC

Coos Cues
Coming from a tool room background, I purchased a Mitutoyo 6" and 12" many decades ago and all I do is change batteries.
The cheap ones are just that, they feel cheap, lose their zero, and are just annoying.
Buy once, cry once.
I cried for a second time when I dropped mine and shattered the face on the concrete floor. Now I go with the cheap ones. The one I linked doesn't feel cheap and I also come from a very strong tool background having owned and operated a European auto repair shop for 30 years. I know cheap tools when I see or use them. I have a central caliper I bought 40 years ago that still works but the display is very small.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Insize caliper now and has done so for some time, I can't really tell much difference between the Insize and Mitutoyo, except for the price.
When it's time for a new one, I'll probably go with Tesa, I like the bigger display and in general I like Tesa products better than Mitutoyo.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of the digital calipers. I have a couple of nice Startetts but I usually leave them in a case. I actually use a 6” dial caliper that has inch and mm made by Anytime Tool. You can get them on Amazon for $36. I keep one in my vehicle for use when I’m out and about and one in my top drawer. They are accurate and will do either measurements I need.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have about 9 harbor freight ones and quite frankly, they work until they don't......I just went thru my batch of them, as I do every few months, and measure a ground rod I have, and they all read within .0005" We build cues....not spaceships....they are more than adequate for the job, IMHO. Do they develope problems? yes....but at $12 a pop....I can throw a few out over the years and still save $$ over the top calipers out there. When I drop them...I don't cry, I check them and if broke, I grab the next one....no big deal, try dropping a Mitutoyo and breaking it, how many do you have in reserve?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i use calipers and other machine shop tools for a living,
the cheap tools all work as well as the expensive ones, same as cues
just hurts alot less when they need to be replaced
take care of cheap tools and theyll do you well

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
They are the good ones that are not expensive. Have tried those harbor freight ones. Great if you want them to switch to mm and zero mid measurement. Second time they do that I pitch them in the trash can. I don't currently possess any if that says anything.
I have never had any re zero on their own.......... a few have failed after a few years............. toss it in the trash and buy another..........

Kim

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're welcome
That's been essentially my favorite, so far.
In fact, have one screwed to the quill on one of my mills, for accurate down-feed increments and position.

However, 2 of mine have had issues with the battery holder. tends to pop-out or need shimmed or taped at some point, or it stops making contact. Partly because the rubber gasket is too flimsy and won't seat after it gets a little oil on it & swells.
Also they seem to disagree with my micrometers on larger measurements, but i never really qualified that. Its just a digital caliper, for cats sake.
When close enough to matter, the mics come out. Or if really fine, a comparater & gage blocks.

But yeah, impressed with the durability compared with others used in past & will still be the "next" one(s) i buy at this point.

smt

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're welcome
Thanks, I just received that one.

Now, how about a recommendation for a scale?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, I bought my HF calipers 15 years ago? Other then a cracked screen they still work perfect but I'm ready to have 3 or 4 in the shop so thanks @JC ;)