Sportmanship question (let me put on my flack jacket....)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people would say something, some wouldn't. I probably wouldn't notice that you were aiming at the wrong ball.

What's interesting is cheating is common in professional sports. In baseball the players and managers have been cheating for decades. Doctoring the baseball, stealing signs and now taking steroids. In football they use their helmet as a weapon.

When it comes to sportsmanship I'd pool players ahead of most professional athletes.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
If you whine, it effectively gives you a rep.

As to sportsmanship, here’s another grampa story:
As a cadet at USAFA, I had a 6 week boxing class. At the end for my grade, I had a 3-3 minute rounds fight. It was taped. The fights started with the lightest first. I think I came in at 155 and 5’10”. My advantage was my orangutan like arm span.
The first couple of fights involving patty cake and C grades.
My opponent was a Mexican National (hmmm, I knew why he was a cadet). We were equal weight and height. After watching the first fights, he came to me and said. “You see how those guys are just doing patty cake and taking a C. You want to d the same? “
Hmmm, honor code:
Will not lie, cheat or steal. Nor tolerate any that do.
So my excuse is;
The devil made me do it. I looked him in the eye and said, “Ok” . I had been through basic training with this guy and didn’t like him.
The bell rings, we walk together and touch gloves. Stepping back, I planted my right rear foot and launched my best right (sloppy and over the top) it landed and uh stunned him. 16 ounce gloves and head gear. Didn’t have the skills to take him out. I won the first and possibly 2nd but call it a draw. He won the 3rd.
The coach said we had no skills or techniques but gave us both A’s for heart. As we went at it. We parted with respect and better understanding.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
On the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds that will on a later day bear the fruits of victory.
Don’t diminish the competition.

took 3 edit to get my best recollection of the quote.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
a condition is known, Dyscalculia

its likely some pool players might be mentally challenged.

Unless you have personal experience or have met someone, its hard to understand.

A person can recognize what to do but be confused about what the number on the ball is.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting back to the OP's inquiry, it has never been written in ANY rule set that you must tell your opponent when they are about to shoot the wrong ball. So a person who didn't warn their opponent has 100% adhered to the rules by not doing so. I don't understand why a person not warning their opponent would not have integrity or be considered a scumbag. In fact, I find it ridiculous that someone would even think like this. It is ALL 100% on the shooter to manage his/her own game.
The rules are written to ensure fair play, not to prevent scumbag behavior. Don't confuse the two. For example, an opponent who refuses to shake your hand after a match is a scumbag, but not necessarily a cheater.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A related story....

I was playing in a small 3-cushion tournament. That's with two cue balls and a red ball on a pocketless table and each player is assigned a cue ball, which these days are white and yellow. (In the old days one cue ball had one or two small black spots and the balls were harder to tell apart.)

As we are playing, he lines up with the wrong cue ball. I say something. He changes to his cue ball. A few shots later, he does the same thing. I say something. He changes to his cue ball. Now I'm thinking about what he's doing. A while later, I get confused and start to say something when he's on the right ball and now I'm embarrassed for interrupting his shot.

I think it would have been better for me to say nothing until after he shot, both for my game and for him learning to remember which cue ball he has. At least he never shot with the red ball, which I've heard of people doing.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The rules are written to ensure fair play, not to prevent scumbag behavior. Don't confuse the two. For example, an opponent who refuses to shake your hand after a match is a scumbag, but not necessarily a cheater.
Curious, when you call your opponent a scumbag for not warning that you about shooting the wrong ball, do you also complain you were not warned about saying the wrong thing, as you"re picking your teeth off the floor?