Control Emotions

Integrate the Actions of Others

Regroup

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
BURDEN AND BENEFIT OF INGREDIENTS

Each ingredient can be learned in as much detail as a player’s goals demand. Making a written page(s) for each ingredient and putting notes and resources there can offer quicker learning, prevent forgetting lessons, and provide great resources for future growth. Useful information can be stored in and accessed from an exact, logical location, easy to find and use anytime. This reduces waste.

A beginner might be overwhelmed with so many ingredients. Working on the biggest problem ingredient first is a decent strategy, then adding, changing, and rearranging ingredients. Knowing exactly which ingredient was violated is a skill, too, that takes time to learn. Read. Watch. Take a lesson.

The high-level player already has his own ingredients, in order, even if he isn’t conscious of it. He can still improve, especially by using Step 1, and by fine-tuning his other ingredients.

The developing player can most quickly use this with his current ingredients, adding to the good and trashing/fixing the bad. Shot problems become more obvious and their fixes more precise.

Making a recipe happen in practice precedes letting it happen in play. Bon Appooltite.

Jeff Livingston

THE END

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
You're still holding that aim in mind as you bend over for good. You don't want to be changing it then. I found after years that if I was changing my aim after being down on the shot, I had done something wrong just before. When I didn't tweak my aim while down, I made more shots so I decided to aim while up and never change that while down. It has made my aiming much more accurate. That's why my call to do it standing.

Jeff Livingston
I've found this to be completely true. When you get down after properly aiming, your body almost falls into place, there are not really many adjustments. The only thing you need to do is take a glance at the tip and see where it is on the CB. If the shot feels off, get back up and start the process over.

If you feel the need to aim while down, another previous step in your process has failed. You might have got lazy and breezed through a previous step, or even just felt something was off while down. Trust that little doubting inner dialog. Do what the pros do, stand up, chalk up, re-evaluate and start the process again. Chalk is cheap, so no worries if you have to chalk 2 or 3 times if it means making the shot. Don't ignore the "it's gonna miss" feeling, because it's often right. Look for alternative shots/patterns/safeties/etc. If your original shot selection was correct, chalk it up and re-address the shot.

This one thing really improved my game. I used to adjust and even aim while down, but it just doesn't work well. Don't get lazy and shoot anyway unless you're ok with a miss.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Thanks, Boogie, for your input here.

Here's a hint on how to use the recipe: Whenever you miss, it was because you violated an ingredient(s). But which one? Was it failing to adjust when setting up or failure to find the aim when standing...or some other ingredient, e.g., attitude? Be honest, now. As fully as possible.

EGO MUST LEAVE Step 6's Observe, Analyze, and Integrate results or else blame for missing can be put on the wrong thing. Simple for pool players.:ROFLMAO:

Jeff Livingston

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Step 6: FINISH…this shot now.

Observe, analyze, and integrate results. This can take from an instant up to ten seconds or so. If returning to the chair, who knows how long? This time is best used wisely. Now is when a player learns…or not.

Emotion can overwhelm the newer player who erred, so he misses important input here by focusing on the wrong things. Handling errors properly is a fast way to improvement. Players miss. Exploring exactly what happened reduces misses and increases fun.

A high-level player might get emotional, but he could actually be taming this wild power by mixing it into Step 1 of his next shot(s), not as a distraction from this shot. This power transfer can be learned over time for the player who hasn’t yet mastered his emotions at the table.

The developing player stops bad habits by doing this step every shot. If a player doesn’t know exactly what he did right, it is hard to repeat; if he doesn’t know exactly what he did wrong, it’s easy to repeat.

If not honest with himself here, this step loses most of its power for any player, the same as in Step 1…

Jeff Livingston

This six step description nicely sums up the shooting cycle. The more precisely a player can perform the first 5, the more meaningful the 6th becomes. Meaningful feedback makes a player better. I can almost feel the "patience" required to performing these steps reading the description.

Although I am a relatively fast player - I have a routine that works for me and it closely follows what Jeff describes. Here's I am playing in the ghost thread.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 STEPS OF THE POOL SHOT:

Step 1: FIRE UP

Step 2: CHOOSE

Step 3: AIM

Step 4: SET-UP

Step 5: SHOOT

Step 6: FINISH

THE CONCEPT:

Breaking the shot into 6 steps provides a simple framework of it. Then the shot is built and corrected upon that.

A new player might simply focus on doing each step while competing, to calm nerves and reduce mistakes. The time to work in-depth on improving each step and putting them together, is during dedicated practice time.

A higher-level player can use the 6 steps to confirm the fundamental structure of his shot without losing any of the good parts of it. He is already working at the ingredient level (the steps within the steps) for very precise, deep levels of control.

A developing player can quickly see if his shot has the 6 steps in order and build upon that while fixing ingredients as needed.

How far a player takes this is up to his goals and attitude, all blended within Step 1…
I like to fire-up before shooting too. Usually a good medium strength sativa. ;)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
This six step description sums up nicely the shooting cycle. The more precisely a player can perform the first 5, the more meaningful the 6th becomes. Meaningful feedback makes a player better. I can almost feel the "patience" required to performing these steps reading the description.

How many times have you seen a player (not me, of course :p ) getting mad immediately after missing then never understanding the why of it?

Pre shot routines are spoken of all the time, but Post shot? rare.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I like to fire-up before shooting too. Usually a good medium strength sativa. ;)

lol...You know, I probably should have called it "ready" ala gun shooting, but I think Fire Up is better metaphor.

Whatever it takes, I guess. I've used that method before.

Jeff Livingston

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
How many times have you seen a player (not me, of course :p ) getting mad immediately after missing then never understanding the why of it?

Pre shot routines are spoken of all the time, but Post shot? rare.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff Livingston
I added my video to my post above. Although I am a relatively fast player, I do all of the steps you listed.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I added my video to my post above. Although I am a relatively fast player, I do all of the steps you listed.

Cool. I'll watch it.

I have the ingredient "establish rhythm" in Step 1. I used to say that the recipe makes the rhythm but have recently changed that to my consciously picking a rhythm that matches what I'm trying to do. I've sped up my play quite a bit recently and it helped in some ways, but my captain keeps telling me I'm rushing shots now. Too fast and I'm making mental errors; too slow and I'm making physical errors.

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Interesting.... Originally after only reading the list I would have chopped 1 & 2 off. After reading you're explainations. I'd flip 3 & 4 as well.

Anyone that claims that they don't alter the aim (even minutely) after getting down on the ball on anything other than the most inconsequential is lying to themselves.

I am not a professional player, and/or an instructor so please weigh my opinion as such.
I don't ever adjust my aim when down on my shot. I've already aimed in the standing position. Thus, when I'm in the shooting position, I only shoot. If you change your aim here, you are working hard against your confidence that you aimed correctly when you had a good look from above already.

Either trust yourself or don't. But, I trust my aim. If something looks wrong when you get down, then get up, but don't start correcting your aim after you got down on the shot. That's a huge mistake of lower level amateurs.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't ever adjust my aim when down on my shot. I've already aimed in the standing position. Thus, when I'm in the shooting position, I only shoot. If you change your aim here, you are working hard against your confidence that you aimed correctly when you had a good look from above already.

Either trust yourself or don't. But, I trust my aim. If something looks wrong when you get down, then get up, but don't start correcting your aim after you got down on the shot. That's a huge mistake of lower level amateurs.
I disagree with this statement. By the way, the guy you responded to JV is a good player, not a low level amateur. Maybe you can post up 10 ball video beating the ghost 7-0 like he does here.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Interesting.... Originally after only reading the list I would have chopped 1 & 2 off. After reading you're explainations. I'd flip 3 & 4 as well.

Anyone that claims that they don't alter the aim (even minutely) after getting down on the ball on anything other than the most inconsequential is lying to themselves.

I am not a professional player, and/or an instructor so please weigh my opinion as such.
I agree with this. I visualize the shot in both the standing position and when down on the ball. Some small adjustments are often necessary, especially in light of what spin is needed.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I agree with this. I visualize the shot in both the standing position and when down on the ball. Some small adjustments are often necessary, especially in light of what spin is needed.

Perhaps you and JV are merely adjusting to create your standing aim, not re-aiming, when down.

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I disagree with this statement. By the way, the guy you responded to JV is a good player, not a low level amateur. Maybe you can post up 10 ball video beating the ghost 7-0 like he does here.

But, tell me one great player that starts aiming after they get down on the ball? Because JV does not look like he ever adjusted his aim once he was down on the ball.

Also, I never said he was a low level amateur, only that is a mistake many low level players make. Have you ever missed with BIH? Happens when you adjust your aim after you get down on the shot.

You can call Mark Wilson or Randy and ask if that is what they teach? I mean, they are only two of the best instructors in the country, but hey, what do they know, right? lol

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
But, tell me one great player that starts aiming after they get down on the ball? Because JV does not look like he ever adjusted his aim once he was down on the ball.

Also, I never said he was a low level amateur, only that is a mistake many low level players make. Have you ever missed with BIH? Happens when you adjust your aim after you get down on the shot.

You can call Mark Wilson or Randy and ask if that is what they teach? I mean, they are only two of the best instructors in the country, but hey, what do they know, right? lol
I said some small adjustments are often necessary, very simple. You disagreed with that. JV said the same. I'll wait for your videos.

Last edited: