Business idea: Combining pool with a gym?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is just thinking out loud to make conversation:

I think mixing a gym with pool might make a good business. Both activities have customers that want to improve themselves. They measure themselves both against themselves, and against others. Both have casual customers, and super serious customers. Both can develop friendships amongst the regulars.

From the gym side, I'm thinking more the local mom and pop gym, as opposed to the LA Fitness type gym. (although maybe both types would work...). Have 1 or 2 tables in the common area.

What do you guys think? Great idea? Horrible idea? Something in-between?

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Great idea ,this is how I learned to play pool.
One side of the basement had weights and in between sets I would hit balls.
This was a 100 years ago when I was in shape LOL

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do pool players want to mingle with hot and sweaty gym people ?
Do hot and sweaty gym people want to mingle with cold killers on the pool table ?

Pool players like to drink and a significant number like to smoke--things a gym would frown upon.

Which brings up the notion:: would a gym with a bar be more profitable ?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My homes up North prior to retirement always had large divided basements ( not by accident) - I always had a full gym on one side and a nine foot table billiard room on the other side. I loved that set up and used both sides year round. Winters were never boring, even in the worst weather, myself and my sons had immediate access to recreational outlets.

However, I do not see the connection between the two from a commercial standpoint. Most serious gym folks are not serious pool players and from a recreational hour standpoint they are almost polar opposites- gyms are early morning or post work hours- recreational pool is mostly post dinner hours.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think the similarities in pool and gym patrons that you suggest are a bit of a stretch. People in libraries are generally trying to improve themselves but I wouldn't advise installing tables there.

Pool is recreation. It goes with other recreation...drinking, bowling, music, food, darts.

Pool is hanging out...the gym is "get done and get out".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

I think mixing a gym with pool might make a good business. Both activities have customers that want to improve themselves. They measure themselves both against themselves, and against others. Both have casual customers, and super serious customers. Both can develop friendships amongst the regulars.

From the gym side, I'm thinking more the local mom and pop gym, as opposed to the LA Fitness type gym. (although maybe both types would work...). Have 1 or 2 tables in the common area.

Not saying it's a horrible idea but I have seen it once. They had one table. Didn't get much use.
Most people are in a hurry to get out of the gym.
I do remember it being near the entrance to the locker room though. High traffic area. That wasn't the best idea.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Just don't put it on the locker room. People get to comfortable there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I personally don't see that working.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just don't put it on the locker room. People get to comfortable there.

A gym I used to go to had a small living room in the locker room. Love seat, sofa, chair, tv, etc.
You guessed it, at any given time there is 3 or 4 men naked as a jaybird watching the game and discussing politics.
I'll never understand.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A gym I used to go to had a small living room in the locker room. Love seat, sofa, chair, tv, etc.
You guessed it, at any given time there is 3 or 4 men naked as a jaybird watching the game and discussing politics.
I'll never understand.
It was like that at a gym I went to years ago. Its more a generational thing. The guys that walked around naked were like 50 plus. It was more normal back in their day I believe. People today are so self conscious that they wouldn't do that. I talked with one of those guys about it. It was a very interesting conversation.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was like that at a gym I went to years ago. Its more a generational thing. The guys that walked around naked were like 50 plus. It was more normal back in their day I believe. People today are so self conscious that they wouldn't do that. I talked with one of those guys about it. It was a very interesting conversation.
They were definitely men of a "certain age" korean war era if I had to guess.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Great idea ,this is how I learned to play pool.
One side of the basement had weights and in between sets I would hit balls.
This was a 100 years ago when I was in shape LOL

Me, too.

Playing between sets is a great thing. It helps the exercise and the game. When my heart was pounding, I'd grab the cue and try the longest hardest, the most must-keep-still shot I could find and shoot it. That has helped me when my heart was racing in competition.

Jeff Livingston

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Public space pool tables could be a thing.

I was considering approaching malls. The pool table would have to be portable and easy to move.

People would have to bring their own equipment and balls.