Fargorate questions

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have looked at fairmatch/fargorate for a few years and finally downloaded the app and became a subscriber.
I had a initial problem because I logged in then did the subscription and couldn't open anything.
Sent a email and got a quick correct reply. Log out and log back in! Simple enough.
Now my ? what are considered public matches?
If none are shown is the robustness a result of league play?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the match data that goes in has been shared publicly with the world elsewhere; it's just not generally all shared publicly in the aggregated form in the APP. If you are using the featured version of the APP, you can see all your own matches.

If a player you look up has any third-party matches, such as self-reported matches through the Salotto APP, those appear under "view public matches." and can be viewed by anybody.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the match data that goes in has been shared publicly with the world elsewhere; it's just not generally all shared publicly in the aggregated form in the APP. If you are using the featured version of the APP, you can see all your own matches.

If a player you look up has any third-party matches, such as self-reported matches through the Salotto APP, those appear under "view public matches." and can be viewed by anybody.
So other player's trnmnt matches arent public?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well thats a shame , now there is no way to know if league or trnmnt play determines their #.
I know a solid 625 ish player who is a 6 handicap in vnea. League is only means to the end.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well thats a shame , now there is no way to know if league or trnmnt play determines their #.
I know a solid 625 ish player who is a 6 handicap in vnea. League is only means to the end.

I don't think any leagues use Fargo aside from USAPL and maybe BCA. League is league, few of us consider league pool real pool or league ratings as anything solid to go on.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think any leagues use Fargo aside from USAPL and maybe BCA. League is league, few of us consider league pool real pool or league ratings as anything solid to go on.

I'd say you're probably in the minority of pool players that don't consider league pool real pool. The majority of people who shoot pool do so in leagues - outside of AZB anyways.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say you're probably in the minority of pool players that don't consider league pool real pool. The majority of people who shoot pool do so in leagues - outside of AZB anyways.

You would take an APA rating as an end all confirmation of someone's skill? Only league rating I trust is the max level ones.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Come on man, you're a solid 528!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would take an APA rating as an end all confirmation of someone's skill? Only league rating I trust is the max level ones.

LOL, no, simply stating that outside of AZB the majority of pool players are in a league of some sort and that the pool they play is as real as they want to make it ;)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike,

Can you explain what the requirements are for someone to submit match information into FargoRate?

Thanks,

Andy

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, no, simply stating that outside of AZB the majority of pool players are in a league of some sort and that the pool they play is as real as they want to make it ;)

Right, what I meant is that serious pool players don't take league matches or accomplishments or skill rating as a measure of real world skill. As soon as anyone seen someone play well the first question is "wow you must be a league player" or "what's you APA rating". I don't know how many times last few weeks people at my regular pool hall/bar have said "this guy is good, he is a LEAGUE PLAYER", like it's similar to getting to the NBA or something.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, what I meant is that serious pool players don't take league matches or accomplishments or skill rating as a measure of real world skill. As soon as anyone seen someone play well the first question is "wow you must be a league player" or "what's you APA rating". I don't know how many times last few weeks people at my regular pool hall/bar have said "this guy is good, he is a LEAGUE PLAYER", like it's similar to getting to the NBA or something.

LOL, pretty sure we're on the same page just saying it different ways.

The "real" pool players (most of the people on AZB) could care less about league standings, etc. they just want to play and make their own decisions. On the flip side - you have the league players who could generally care less about the pool scene that exists outside of their world.

There's a middle group also (and it's where I fall) that transcends the other types of players. These people enjoy all aspects of pool (watching pro's, league, learning, etc.) and enjoy playing both league, tournament, and cash games ;)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league in Phoenix reports to fargo. I'd bet most of the higher rated players (650+) in the area have most of their games in the system from leagues.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, pretty sure we're on the same page just saying it different ways.

The "real" pool players (most of the people on AZB) could care less about league standings, etc. they just want to play and make their own decisions. On the flip side - you have the league players who could generally care less about the pool scene that exists outside of their world.

There's a middle group also (and it's where I fall) that transcends the other types of players. These people enjoy all aspects of pool (watching pro's, league, learning, etc.) and enjoy playing both league, tournament, and cash games ;)
Same boat. I love it all. Our league is uber competitive, fun to play.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, that's usually how it goes.
The top player in the league is about 730 fargo, and we have players all the way down to the 300's. 5-player teams. Play everyone on the other team one game of bar table 8-ball. Game spots based on the team's average fargo rating. At the end of the season, there are awards for highest winning percentage, and table runs. It's a pretty good time, and most players get really into it.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top player in the league is about 730 fargo, and we have players all the way down to the 300's. 5-player teams. Play everyone on the other team one game of bar table 8-ball. Game spots based on the team's average fargo rating. At the end of the season, there are awards for highest winning percentage, and table runs. It's a pretty good time, and most players get really into it.

Yep, sounds like the first league I played in. We were a bit different in that we were a 6 man team with 3 teams of 2, each team played twice a night. We were all friends and most of us worked together and we had a blast. I still have some of the scoresheets from those days and I quit in 2004 :).