becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love when people post this stuff.. like we didn’t know that solid fundamentals are needed to play the game. :D I’m yet to see a single post where someone said even if you have a garbage stroke you’ll run racks with this cue lol

Only thing gonna make you play better is a straighter stroke. Everybody has to find their own "Hogan Secret" --> That being a grip that allows a straight stroke for their body habitus, natural without trying to steer.

DTL
find your grip

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I love when people post this stuff.. like we didn’t know that solid fundamentals are needed to play the game. :D I’m yet to see a single post where someone said even if you have a garbage stroke you’ll run racks with this cue lol

Guess I was thrown off a bit by the title of this thread, when CF shafts and "Holy Grail" were in the same sentence.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...:eek::eek::eek:
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw

LOL, really? I'm shocked!

Our game is played with a stick with leather glued to it, pushing some plastic balls around. Every time a new type of stick is announced people go crazy and think this will be it. I'm sorry, it won't. The reason why most of us cannot play like the pros, is that we don't have the hand/eye coordination to push the stick in a straight line, with speed control. And most of us haven't played as much as the pros, either.

That is all. If you (the person drooling over a Revo) can't draw your ball, get instuction. If you can't spin your ball, get instruction. If you can't get instruction, video yourself and look closely. You're doing something wrong, it's not the sticks fault. If you really think deflection is your problem, pick up a dirt cheap Predator Z2 (used at the pool hall). It deflects the exact same as the Revo. Then have a long think about why you still can't spin or draw your ball.

I'm sick of the f-ing Revo. I see it everywhere, yet people play exactly the same as before (within expected fluctuations). Have fun and spend money on whatever you feel like, but please tone down the fanboying. Let the stick do the talking. If we're sufficiently impressed, maybe you'll win us over.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Our game is played with a stick with leather glued to it, pushing some plastic balls around. Every time a new type of stick is announced people go crazy and think this will be it. I'm sorry, it won't. The reason why most of us cannot play like the pros, is that we don't have the hand/eye coordination to push the stick in a straight line, with speed control. And most of us haven't played as much as the pros, either.

That is all. If you (the person drooling over a Revo) can't draw your ball, get instuction. If you can't spin your ball, get instruction. If you can't get instruction, video yourself and look closely. You're doing something wrong, it's not the sticks fault. If you really think deflection is your problem, pick up a dirt cheap Predator Z2 (used at the pool hall). It deflects the exact same as the Revo. Then have a long think about why you still can't spin or draw your ball.

I'm sick of the f-ing Revo. I see it everywhere, yet people play exactly the same as before (within expected fluctuations). Have fun and spend money on whatever you feel like, but please tone down the fanboying. Let the stick do the talking. If we're sufficiently impressed, maybe you'll win us over.

Agreed, hit the nail on the head there :)

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

I think that the point is, the Revo plays AS GOOD as any wood shaft, and it has as low of deflection as ANY wood shaft, plus it has other advantages that others have mentioned many times. Cleans easy, is slick and glove wearers won't need to wear a glove, won't ding, great looking if you like a black shaft, etc. Sure you probably won't play better with it. But I actually do think that if your previous wood shaft was not LD, and you move to the Revo, it is likely that you very well might start shooting certain shots a lot more consistently due to the LD properties.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Take a closer look at the Video from Marek. It is easy to see and I can confirm it. But I do not have the feeling that this is already felt when encountered with the ball, but only after.

So tonight I played in a tourney and even though I had 2 shafts to test I decided if I was playing well I'd only test 1. So I started the night with the Becue prime M 12.0mm and didn't switch the whole night. Normally use a 12.4 Revo so I can tell you I instantly fell in love with the prime M. 2 shots throughout the whole night I did come across the "tuning fork" feeling. Other than that the shaft felt amazing. I only shoot 1 rack with it last week and split the tourney tonight using the shaft for the 2nd time. Didn't need any real major adjustments from switching g between the Revo and the prime.

Next up for testing is the Cynergy. Shot 2 racks after the tourney with it tonight but by then I was mush due to my back pain and played on a different table with completely different felt than normal so won't for any opinions on it again. One thing for sure though is I'm so used to sighting without a ferrule for so long now it was very strange having the quarter inch ferrule in my site.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I think that the point is, the Revo plays AS GOOD as any wood shaft, and it has as low of deflection as ANY wood shaft, plus it has other advantages that others have mentioned many times. Cleans easy, is slick and glove wearers won't need to wear a glove, won't ding, great looking if you like a black shaft, etc. Sure you probably won't play better with it. But I actually do think that if your previous wood shaft was not LD, and you move to the Revo, it is likely that you very well might start shooting certain shots a lot more consistently due to the LD properties.

haha exactly my sentiments... i enjoy it for everything else. the LD stuff i couldnt care less, the price could be a bit lower – then again am not sure how long is the shaft able to last. If it wears better than wooden shafts, then i think the price is fine, but i certainly doubt it. love using it on a day to day basis. near maintenance free and nobody gives me s*** for my shaft being dirty and sticky. cue shaft i mean.

End of the day its like a pair of sprinter's shoes. pretty sure the top tier shoes help to some degree but not like its going to be a 20% improvement thing. Either you're quick or you're not.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I play with a BeCue and stand behind it 100%. If anybody thinks that today's synthetic shafts are as good as they will eventually become, they are missing the point. My first flat screen computer monitor sucked and I went back to the old Cathode Ray Tube for a wile. Think about that one!!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a BeCue and stand behind it 100%. If anybody thinks that today's synthetic shafts are as good as they will eventually become, they are missing the point. My first flat screen computer monitor sucked and I went back to the old Cathode Ray Tube for a wile. Think about that one!!

Which shaft are you using?

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, to set the record straight. There are lots of "Holy Grail" cues...just look at the For Sale Forum. Every cue hits a TON, too.

I'll explain what "I" like in a cue.

It hits "solid"

It "moves" the cue ball well

It doesn't make any loud sounds when it hits the cue ball (no high pitched plinking) (which can usually be fixed by having a softer tip and/or ferrule) (the REVO sounds weird to me)

It doesn't vibrate like a tuning fork the minute you hit the cue ball off center

It is balanced to my liking (somewhere around 18-19 inches

It has a pro taper for about a foot, but not one of those 20 inch tapers

It has somewhere around a 13mm tip (strictly for my own bridging comfort)

It is somewhere around a 20 ounce weight

It is straight (doesn't have to be PERFECT)

Now, with that said, I can say I've had $10 production cues that met all those requirements and have had custom cues that would cost thousands that didn't.

As much as Southwest cues are touted, I can honestly say that I have NEVER hit with one that "I" thought felt as good as my favorite playing cues. This is me, not the cue. There is something about them that doesn't suit me and what I "feel" when I'm using them.

There is another custom maker that makes shafts so stiff that they feel like you are hitting the cue ball with a rebar rod and they make this weird high-pitched sound. They sound brittle, like glass breaking.

Once you have a cue that you "know", you feel more comfortable with it and become more consistent. Some cues allow you to "know" them better than other cues, for some reason. I think it is a combination of feedback, sound, vibration, and action that allows you to "communicate" more with the cue, which makes it work better for "YOU".

There are people who will pick up a cue that I think is "dead" and they will tell me how good it plays and maybe the cues that they think are "dead" are the cues for me.

You need to find a cue that you can "communicate" with.

When I first hit with a REVO, it hit nice and solid, but I didn't like the sound of it. That maybe could have been fixed with a tip change. However, I have shot with several of them since and they all had some sort of sound that didn't sound "normal" to ME.

When I fist picked up the Becue, it met almost all the requirements I like in a cue and listed above (save for the shaft was less than 13mm).

The cue and I "communicated" immediately. I picked it up and there was no learning curve of any sort. One thing I noticed, right off the bat, was that the cue "felt" like it was "going through" the cue ball more "solid" than a wooden shaft, but it felt like and played like a wooden shaft (if that makes sense). It seemed like there was more transfer of energy between the cue and the cue ball than there was with a wooden shaft, given the same stroke.

Get something you like. Play with it. If you don't like it, get rid of it. Don't let anybody tell you what it is "worth". The "worth" is how well you play with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny that as I read Hawaiian Eye's description of what he likes in a cue, I wanted to reply SOUNDS LIKE MY BECUE. Then he finally got around to his cue...Becue of course! Now I would have known if I had noted his name, as he's been championing these for a while. Anyway,recently traded a nice custom cue for a Becue Naked PrimeM 12.5 cue and now I'm all discombomulated. I can't accept ignoring my other luxurious custom cues by RJH and Jacoby and my Hsunami shafts...but that Becue feels sooooo good! I had a Revo I didn't care for and sold it so I was out of the CF shaft craze. I really like the Hsunami and Jacoby Edge Hybrid...but now that Becue has got me in its spell. And I enjoy watching Charles Lakey perform cue magic with the same cue. Too many cues, too little time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny that as I read Hawaiian Eye's description of what he likes in a cue, I wanted to reply SOUNDS LIKE MY BECUE. Then he finally got around to his cue...Becue of course! Now I would have known if I had noted his name, as he's been championing these for a while. Anyway,recently traded a nice custom cue for a Becue Naked PrimeM 12.5 cue and now I'm all discombomulated. I can't accept ignoring my other luxurious custom cues by RJH and Jacoby and my Hsunami shafts...but that Becue feels sooooo good! I had a Revo I didn't care for and sold it so I was out of the CF shaft craze. I really like the Hsunami and Jacoby Edge Hybrid...but now that Becue has got me in its spell. And I enjoy watching Charles Lakey perform cue magic with the same cue. Too many cues, too little time.

Welcome to the Becue club.

Glad you like it.

I just got a new Becue leather case and I like it better than their original case which now sits in the closet.

48B99D6C-0F69-422A-B442-606F9E20CB22.jpeg

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
jmho
icbw
No one said you would. It’s a different type of hit and feel
If you like it great. If you don’t go back to wood. That’s fine to. Has nothing to do with how good you do or don’t play. It’s all personal preference like all cues.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jmho
icbw
Hey Larry,
I meet with a friend of mine every Monday and play for a few hours.
Last Monday he shows up with a new Predator cue with a revo shaft on it. I had never hit a ball with cf shaft so he let me hit some balls with it. I thought it had a great hit, I liked it.
So I ask, what did this cost you? He says $1800.00, good lord.
Well I'm not paying $1800 for a cue stick.
So, I bought this one Cynergy SVB GEN ONE Dakota Edition cue Black Starlight | Cuetec

The company gave me 10% off the price shown total price $585.
Just got the cue Thursday and haven't had much time to play with it.

It does vibrate like a tuning fork by inserting a rubber washer between the extension and the cue.

I really like the black shaft, when down on a shot the black shaft is in my peripheral vision and is very noticeable. So if your stroke is not straight you'll see it. Neat training tool.

Anyway, you have to play with a cue that feels good to you.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing with my old cue, but I always wanted to try out a carbon fiber cue. The jury is still out on that one,

Have fun.
John

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Larry,
I meet with a friend of mine every Monday and play for a few hours.
Last Monday he shows up with a new Predator cue with a revo shaft on it. I had never hit a ball with cf shaft so he let me hit some balls with it. I thought it had a great hit, I liked it.
So I ask, what did this cost you? He says $1800.00, good lord.
Well I'm not paying $1800 for a cue stick.
So, I bought this one Cynergy SVB GEN ONE Dakota Edition cue Black Starlight | Cuetec

The company gave me 10% off the price shown total price $585.
Just got the cue Thursday and haven't had much time to play with it.

It does vibrate like a tuning fork by inserting a rubber washer between the extension and the cue.

I really like the black shaft, when down on a shot the black shaft is in my peripheral vision and is very noticeable. So if your stroke is not straight you'll see it. Neat training tool.

Anyway, you have to play with a cue that feels good to you.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing with my old cue, but I always wanted to try out a carbon fiber cue. The jury is still out on that one,

Have fun.
John
john
this thread is 2 years old
since that time i am now playing with a 12.4 revo shaft on my playing cue
i still dont think the shaft is magic and its definitely the indian not the arrow for me
but it seems to me that carbon fiber is here to stay
and i am trying to keep up with technology.
in all sports when the technology and material of the clubs/racquets etc change
the purists will resist
but time marches on
jmho
icbw

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing about the carbon fiber shaft, I found out I double hit the cue ball much more than I thought!

According to Predator, the REVO hits three percent better than wood. Three percent isn't much to most people. However, if they are talking three percent better than their best wood that is impressive. Those moving from a typical plain maple shaft might find it a beast indeed!

I like the REVO. I ended up buying the Cynergy sight unseen. After it broke in it plays very well, I think I still like the profile of the REVO better. Either are a little better than my plain maple shaft, if I define more consistent radially as better. I indexed cues for decades, took a little getting used to as I found I tried to index the black shaft too! Changes my preshot routine to not index but in a good way.

My shaft is a silver color where the black surface coat quickly wore away. They could have left the whole thing silver to begin with and smoother than the black outer coating but that is just my opinion, as is everything else than Predator's claims here. No idea how they determined three percent better so that might be largely opinion too, just not mine.

Wood is real and I still like a good wooden shaft. If I was gonna bet the family farm on one set or one match-up though, I would be using the EBS, Evil Black Shaft!

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok. I gotta know what is meant by a <better hit>. (??)

I think more consistent radially but I wouldn't swear to it. Seems like the claim I read was "three percent better" which does seem a bit nebulous.

When individuals are talking about a better hit they mean for themselves of course. You might hate my "better hit" while I might hate your idea of a better hit. I hate a hit that is too mushy or too pingy. Trying to define that other than somewhere between the two extremes leaves a lot of leeway. To make matters worse, I hit with a friend's cue that might be the best I ever hit with in terms of feel. I couldn't put my finger on why. It had feedback in the range I liked but it had more. I wish I could put my finger on what that was. The particular cue was priceless so I didn't dare hit with it long!

The best performing cue I ever played with felt horrible to play with but gave me cue ball control like it was magic. We could probably have a thousand post thread about best shafts and still not really define what we are talking about.

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking about “jazzing up” my Becue Naked butt, which is plain carbon fiber from joint to butt cap covered in clear coat.

I have contacted an air brush artist who does his work on a variety of things and also deals with auto clear coat.

At this point, I am thinking something simple like maybe a fake wrap in a bright pearl white to contrast with the black of the carbon fiber. I may get more ideas when he contacts me back.

I have both the Snow White and black carbon fiber shafts.