How Does?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Food for thought:

Running original on full screen at .25 speed, it appears to me that the cue ball hits the 8 further back, with less arc than the Virtual Pool example, and the cue ball almost, or does, contact cloth and the 8 simultaneously. Further, in the Virtual Pool example, the cue ball dies at point of impact with the 8 and does not track off to the right as shown in the original.

Is the accuracy of the Virtual Pool program such that we should expect to see the same post-strike track to the right if all variables (arc, point of impact, etc.) are the same as original?
When you watch it like that does the 8 not seem to change direction ? If so only a dbl kiss would cause that.

Bob is pretty good at showing examples using virtual pool (4?). He believes it presents very realistic results and if it is good enough for him it is damn sure good enough for me😉

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How/ why does svb's jump combo at 6:10:20 make the 8 travel forward?

Doesn't seem to hit the 8 twice...
The cue ball hits downward on the 8 ball. That causes the 8 ball to jump up. Since the 8 is now airborn when it hits the 9, there isn’t the same stopping power from a full hit. And it travels forward.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It could also be that the cue ball landed on the 8 in such a way that the 8 jumped up, hit the 9, and kept traveling forward. But I don’t think it would be going forward that fast.
No, it would not be going anywhere near that fast -- almost as fast as the nine. To get that much speed forward, the 8 would have to barely clip the 9 on the way up and they are only a chalk apart to start with. Almost certainly a second kiss from the cue ball on the 8 ball to drive it forward.

Here is just the shot extracted from the stream at both normal and 1/4 speed:

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not questioning Bob (I am at least that smart). I am questioning whether quality of original is sufficient to permit inquiry, accuracy of my observations, and parameters of Virtual Pool program (all things being equal, why do we not see track to the right). Easy answer is that the program was just not designed to do it.

I do not see the 8 changing direction.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it would not be going anywhere near that fast -- almost as fast as the nine. To get that much speed forward, the 8 would have to barely clip the 9 on the way up and they are only a chalk apart to start with. Almost certainly a second kiss from the cue ball on the 8 ball to drive it forward.

Here is just the shot extracted from the stream at both normal and 1/4 speed:

After watching it with more time to spare and watching your video. It is doing both. The cue ball is air born and causing the 8 ball to jump, and to double hit the cue ball. It causes the cue ball to go off to the side more, and leave what I consider to be a worse position. Had he hit it flat, doubt it double hits and the 8 ball should stay relatively stationary then.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Straightline -- thank you. I never knew about period key, but there is so much computer stuff I don't know. I do not know what the story is -- I will leave it to the better minds.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straightline -- thank you. I never knew about period key, but there is so much computer stuff I don't know. I do not know what the story is -- I will leave it to the better minds.
That's just for the youtube player. Got that from a Bob Jewett post :) On VLC player it's the E key. Only frame advance though. Neither do backwards.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
He didn't make it move forward nor he knew, he just played the combo but what happened is the "Cueball" automatically hitted it twice, the second time made it move forward.