Where is the Best Action in the US at this moment?

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Within say, a 50 mile radius. Where would you go? I'm not talking about only pro caliber players, necassarily, but rather, various degrees of skill, who are willing to gamble? Which part(s) of the country is the hot right now?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Houston and New Orleans for the south.

Pretty much all points in between as things get back open. The oil patch is always home to good paying jobs and the fishing boats do pretty good too. I mostly played from Baton Rouge South and West to Morgan City, Lafayette and a bit beyond. A little action in Vinton when the track is open but for some reason I never had much luck in Lake Charles, I suspect just not finding the right places. They annoyed me running the speed traps anyway so I wasn't inclined to tangle with the law there if it could be avoided.

All this is ancient info but I suspect things haven't changed much. Cajuns like to gamble, often too much for their own good.

Hu

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty much all points in between as things get back open. The oil patch is always home to good paying jobs and the fishing boats do pretty good too. I mostly played from Baton Rouge South and West to Morgan City, Lafayette and a bit beyond. A little action in Vinton when the track is open but for some reason I never had much luck in Lake Charles, I suspect just not finding the right places. They annoyed me running the speed traps anyway so I wasn't inclined to tangle with the law there if it could be avoided.

All this is ancient info but I suspect things haven't changed much. Cajuns like to gamble, often too much for their own good.

Hu
From all of my travels, I'd have to agree with this. I've had mediocre players willing to play hundred dollar sets just to see where we're at. Nowadays, most places require an ID and a Fargo rating just to enter the pool hall. :D

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photo-1610129424.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

One of the funniest things I have seen in a pool hall, two of the guys that worked at Buff's were playing one handed jack up for twenty a game. Nothing too unusual about that except I'm pretty sure Buff was backing both of them! He must have been bored that morning.

You can get a fair game at Buff's at most any level. Try to come in and play games lying about your speed and you had better take the first money you make and run, your action if fixing to get tough, very tough!

Hu

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With apologies for momentarily diverting this thread a bit, I recall being present when Jose Parica asked this same question of CJ Wiley (my best guess is that it was in 1995) at a PBT event. The answer CJ gave reminds us of why he's such a legend in the history of action games. He told Jose "one can play for $10,000 every night of the week at my poolroom in Texas." This was CJ's unique way of saying that he himself was happy to bet high every day of the year against all comers.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With apologies for momentarily diverting this thread a bit, I recall being present when Jose Parica asked this same question of CJ Wiley (my best guess is that it was in 1995) at a PBT event. The answer CJ gave reminds us of why he's such a legend in the history of action games. He told Jose "one can play for $10,000 every night of the week at my poolroom in Texas." This was CJ's unique way of saying that he himself was happy to bet high every day of the year against all comers.
Sir, no apologies needed. The diversions are often the best things that come out in any particular thread here.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its been crazy here in new orleans with dennis winning 70k, Morra winning 40k, and lots 20-30k action

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
What was Jose's response?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every Saturday at Felt billiards in Englewood Colorado you can get $5 or if you dare $10 one pocket action from me.
I'll play anyone.
You have been warned.
If I was there I’d be high rolling you for $25🤣
I traded my JW cue for a Chris Byrne butterfly cue

Csim

I love i Naples Fl. There isn't even a decent table around so we don't have action that I know of.

I read this and have learned some people think pool is doing. I worked in Houston in March on the north side. I want to Bogies east and west, and Bigtymes. Action everywhere mostly one pocket but if you ask you can get action on any game or amount you want.

That's all I can say I know for sure that I have seen in the last 20 years.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love i Naples Fl. There isn't even a decent table around so we don't have action that I know of.

I read this and have learned some people think pool is doing. I worked in Houston in March on the north side. I want to Bogies east and west, and Bigtymes. Action everywhere mostly one pocket but if you ask you can get action on any game or amount you want.

That's all I can say I know for sure that I have seen in the last 20 years.
I hate having to drive to Cape Coral and play on those crappy Red Label Diamonds. I did hear a new room is opening soon

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Every Saturday at Felt billiards in Englewood Colorado you can get $5 or if you dare $10 one pocket action from me.
I'll play anyone.
You have been warned.
Be careful what you wish for, old buddy. I am about to start coasting down the hill.

Cuebuddy>>>Ain't quite over the hill yet.