Should I open a pool room?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well a Pool Room is a thought way to make a buck. Do you feel this would be a great to spend your retirement, think again.

If you love pool, get job in someone elses pool room, as you will get check.

Nit be person worrying about writing checks.

Chip W.

If it’s an income stream that you feel will appreciate over time then follow your passion but do the ground work before diving in with both feet. Either go all in or don’t go at all. Most businesses fail within 5 years so keep that in mind. Guess you have to define what “retirement” is. Enjoying something that enables one to be around others of equal interests and provides covering overhead and other expenses without having to delve into ones savings, pension, etc., can be quite a good way to spend your remaining years rather than wandering around the house and property in a state of mediocrity. Follow your passion but make sure the demographics of the area will support it...😉

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, sold alcohol so food was required. The smaller room (still going) however was only beer and wine and served simple sandwiches and hot dogs, no grill or kitchen just a small prep area. Alcohol made the real money though then time, kitchen was lucky to break even in the big rooms. The smaller room had smaller numbers but a much larger net in the end and much less hassle. When biz is slow in a big room with a big nut that spells big trouble. I'm not saying what's the right or wrong way but what worked for us for longevity and net PR was smaller, 10-12 tables not 25-30, simpler the better, no big restaurant type kitchen, less employees the better, like 1or2 plus yourself watching every dime.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The old school you speak of exists in the room mentioned below. I've been there twice, was just there last week, and it's exactly what you speak of but no food for alcohol, reminds me of Ames.

A great article to read today would be from the Cueball in Salem Oregon.

Not too many people can outwork me but this guy has been the hardest working man in the business longer than I have been alive.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Retirement definition is you quit working PERIOD

Where do you people come up with this crap?
I retired 4 years ago, yet I an working to build telescopes as my hobby.
It pays nothing, and even consumes cash so it does not fit in any of the "employment" categories.
Yet it gives me something to do both physically and mentally.

The real question is how you got such a narrow viewpoint on life and aging ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It pays nothing, and even consumes cash so it does not fit in any of the "employment" categories.

If you do what you love you won't work a day in your life ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not if if you enjoy pool! Not unless you are single, have more $ than you know what to do with, and spend 24/7 in a poolroom anyway.

If pool means that much to you, make sure you have a room in your residence big enough to have a high quality commercial table (Gold Crown or a Diamond). Also, live in an area where there is a nice pool room available to frequent.

Your pool table rental $ by itself will be a small % of the total revenue. The main income producers will be the food/grill and the bar operation, which believe me is a lot of work and constant issues.

The hassle of owning and running a pool room, bar and grill is a lot of work, and most likely not profitable. This is coming from someone who has owned/operate a pool room / grill for 25 years!

Honestly if I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I likely would have chose something else, but at this point I’m too far along and it’s too late to turn back.
You've built a great room.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

A hobby is not a job, words have meanings, and Retirement means not working end of story.

It's not a Narrow viewpoint, it's literally the definition of Retirement

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A hobby is not a job, words have meanings, and Retirement means not working end of story.

It's not a Narrow viewpoint, it's literally the definition of Retirement

As much as I can appreciate your technical approach many people "retire" to go off and do their own thing. Are they technically retired, no, are they forced to go into the office every day wearing a suit or uniform and report to the boss to perform menial tasks for little money, nope - sounds like retired to me ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've built a great room.
It’s not easy. We are making it work only because of our food operation. Even after 25 years, it’s a volatile, unsettled world in 2021 for many businesses, but especially smaller, labor intensive ones.

With it being so hard to find anyone to work even at $20/hr these days, at any given time we are only a few cooks deciding to quit away from being in big trouble.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I can appreciate your technical approach many people "retire" to go off and do their own thing. Are they technically retired, no, are they forced to go into the office every day wearing a suit or uniform and report to the boss to perform menial tasks for little money, nope - sounds like retired to me ;)
This is basically my situation now. I do intend to get a hobby job part time at some point in the future to slow the cash burn. But as long as I do not do anything super stupid I do not have to. My "hours" are what ever works best for me and the girlfriend that day. Many times we are like teenagers..up all night, sleep all day.