Help getting started in 3 cushion

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 50 plus years and just started playing 3 cushion about a year ago. I have been using my Schon cue with a standard Schon shaft. Most of the guys i play with use a 3 cushion cue with the constant taper shaft. I do not like the feel of the larger shafts. Should i try a laminated shaft? If so what would be a good size in mm? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Don

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used a separate carom cue (Schuler) for several years. I gave up on it because of the taper and the fact that I also played pool. Changing back and forth between cues was bothersome, especially because the squirt (cue ball deflection) was different. For the last 20+ years I have used the same cue for both games, although that cue has changed a couple of times.

Another problem for me with conical tapers is that I don't like to use a glove and they are pretty much required if you are going to use a closed bridge.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shafts can be made that aren't a strict conical taper. All my shafts are modified cones.

I might suggest Kilby "can" solve your problem. He can make a carom shaft to match your joint, as long as your joint diameter is big enough.

Longoni has taper choices too.

As a side note, I just got back from Jacksonville, FL where I found a table. I didn't bring my cue so had to use a house cue. In the middle of a game my opponent offered up one of his cues for me to use. I hesitated since he was playing with a pool cue and figured that was what I would be borrowing. Sure enough. Well after about 6 innings I went back to the house cue. I completely missed the OB twice in those innings and scored zero points. Way more deflection than what I'm used to.

If your room has some old style (non pro taper cues) just use them for a while. That'll help you decide what you need to do.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second the notion of sticking with one cue taper shape, whatever design it is. I've played billiards 90% of the time for the past 16 years, so I play pool with my billiard cue also.

Admittedly I didn't always love pool with my conical wood shafts, but I recentish-ly purchased a carbon fiber conical shaft that I hate for 3 cushion, but actually LOVE for pool. Go figure.

Similar geometry, though: stayed conical.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was gonna buy a guitar or helicopter or windmill or another cue I'd call Ron first

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't get behind a pool cue for billiards...literally.

I'd suggest an appropriate tool. You will get used to the different taper.

Also: no jogging in boots.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i used to feel that way.
then i found an old players pool cue i use for straight rail. and works well for putting around 3c shots

i can feel where there would be a slight advantage to having a carom taper, but not that much id need to get another cue for.

in the next 5 yrs ill probably think something different

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used to feel that way.
then i found an old players pool cue i use for straight rail. and works well for putting around 3c shots

i can feel where there would be a slight advantage to having a carom taper, but not that much id need to get another cue for.

in the next 5 yrs ill probably think something different

Maybe it's just me --- and I don't state it as gospel truth, but I've had better luck using a larger, thicker cue to hit small pool balls than I have using a thinner, whippier pool cue to hit larger billiard balls. That said, I like smaller diameter billiard cue tips than many do.

But hey, any golf pro out there could beat my a$$ playing with a broomstick or a spaghetti noodle. I understand that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Maybe it's just me --- and I don't state it as gospel truth, but I've had better luck using a larger, thicker cue to hit small pool balls than I have using a thinner, whippier pool cue to hit larger billiard balls. That said, I like smaller diameter billiard cue tips than many do.

But hey, any golf pro out there could beat my a$$ playing with a broomstick or a spaghetti noodle. I understand that.

I been there for the tournaments the road player comes in and beats everyone out the tournament with the house cue plenty of times.
I'm hitting alot of balls last few yrs
, 3 leagues, 2 tournaments a week
a Carom buddy room mate at the house
Just for me the more I play the less concerned I am with the cue, long as it's stiff and maple I play my level, anything less is all mental on my part.

Again I may think something totally different in the future, as I thought something totally different in the past.
Merely my experiences as a young ball striker

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Does anyone know if carom inserts are still available to convert and pool table to carom? Tough to find any info lately.