Matchroom Suggestion Thread

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My alternative structure would be to have say 64 players over the main event, and use the time saved for longer matches, personally I would have preferred to see longer semi’s and final, but it’s not something I would feel passionate about.
This wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but again I happen to prefer the multi-national representation at the main tournament. However, if the game grew enough I don't see why true to form satellite tournaments couldn't be held for qualification purposes, so the main draw was smaller.
That said it would be interesting to know what sets the world championships apart from other big tournament? I suppose what I’m getting at, is what is it that elevates the WC above the other major pool events?
Nothing at this point... Other than I guess slightly easier equipment to play on...?
Would be interesting to know the players views on what a championship table should be.
Safe to assume this would be self serving. Extremely tight pockets and whatever rail material they're most familar with.
Stopping the jump shots would be a huge mistake, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the actual game that needs tweaking. The jump shot is one of the best things about it, I often found myself hoping to see it played.
Oh I know... There are fans of the game that have been around long enough that romanitize over the period of time that jumps shots were very uncommon and played with a full cue. They'll argue that the jump shot and specifically the jump cue has ruined the game. I don't agree, but I think there's room for tweaking the rules that would make things more interesting in that regard.
The other thing that really helped Snooker was having a spiritual home, which of course is the Crucible. I don’t know if such a place or places exists for 9-ball, but would be worth thinking about.
If there is one, I'm unaware of it. I have zero doubt that some fans have their personal favourite location. However most of it is just where a reoccuring tournament is being held. None of those locations would have the air of the Crucible. I doubt pool will ever have such a place.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Crucible has become the home of the snooker world championship but I'm not sure that that was the intention when the first.contract was signed in the late 1970s. Back then it was a game dominated by UK and Irish players with a sprinkling of players from Candada, Australia and elsewhere. I recall Barry Hearn a few years back saying something about wanting it to remain at the Crucible but that there will always be competition from China - it is now a global game.

The World (9 Ball) Pool Championship has a different history and only got big in the early 00s when Matchroom had its first stint sponsoring it. I'd like to see it rotating between the Americas, Asian and Europe. For me it's the US Open that should find a permanent "home" as it is the tournament with the greatest tradition. Players should always aspire to be World Champion above anything else but with the US Open having something a little bit special about it.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Crucible has become the home of the snooker world championship but I'm not sure that that was the intention when the first.contract was signed in the late 1970s. Back then it was a game dominated by UK and Irish players with a sprinkling of players from Candada, Australia and elsewhere. I recall Barry Hearn a few years back saying something about wanting it to remain at the Crucible but that there will always be competition from China - it is now a global game.

The World (9 Ball) Pool Championship has a different history and only got big in the early 00s when Matchroom had its first stint sponsoring it. I'd like to see it rotating between the Americas, Asian and Europe. For me it's the US Open that should find a permanent "home" as it is the tournament with the greatest tradition. Players should always aspire to be World Champion above anything else but with the US Open having something a little a special about it.

+1 on rotating WC location to pool hot spots. i thought it was great when it was held in manila, for example. the crowd was buzzing.

+1 on rotating WC location to pool hot spots. i thought it was great when it was held in manila, for example. the crowd was buzzing.
That’s exactly what I mean, there must be places around the world with a big pool heritage and big support. If you get the venue right that support and atmosphere somehow comes over the television and makes the tournament more exciting.

All I’m saying is look out for those hot spots, and build around them.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That’s exactly what I mean, there must be places around the world with a big pool heritage and big support. If you get the venue right that support and atmosphere somehow comes over the television and makes the tournament more exciting.

All I’m saying is look out for those hot spots, and build around them.
In the eyes of many of us, pool's sanctuary is an entire country, namely the Philippines.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll admit I don't care for the way seating was set up in the last 2 events.

I would prefer stadium/arena type seating you see at the Mosconi Cup or in snooker events.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'll admit I don't care for the way seating was set up in the last 2 events.

I would prefer stadium/arena type seating you see at the Mosconi Cup or in snooker events.
Milton Keynes arena is new territory for Matchroom. I suspect it was set up with some social distancing in mind. I feel certain that arena seating will return soon.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Milton Keynes arena is new territory for Matchroom. I suspect it was set up with some social distancing in mind. I feel certain that arena seating will return soon.
I think a major consideration in choosing MK was finding an arena that would allow the players to remain in a bubble for the duration. It was used for multiple snooker events before the pool and there was no problem with the spectator seating because there were no spectators at all. None.

The next Matchroom pool event is the US Open in Atlantic City in September. If we don't have packed seating by then, we will have more important worries than how pool events are run.

Reactions: sjm
I think a major consideration in choosing MK was finding an arena that would allow the players to remain in a bubble for the duration. It was used for multiple snooker events before the pool and there was no problem with the spectator seating because there were no spectators at all. None.

The next Matchroom pool event is the US Open in Atlantic City in September. If we don't have packed seating by then, we will have more important worries than how pool events are run.
Hundred percent, Milton Keynes was used because it has the facilities to be a COVID secure bubble. It’s been used by Snooker to hold something like 15 events of the last season to keep things going.

When this awful pandemic passes, and if it stays in the UK, I doubt it would stay there I would expect somewhere like Alexandra Palace to host the 2022 event.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What they should do is instead of having one set of off color balls they should have 9 different sets for each table - each set the balls have completely different colors to confuse the players and viewers. Whatever they do - don't reveal it's the world 9 ball championship. Keep the real identity secret from the public. Call it the Siberian goat milking championship to throw everybody a curve ball.

Confusion is the key to success. This is the business model all successful businesses use.

Badpenguin

Incidentally what I would question is why the style of racking the balls changed half way through the tournament?
I would say that there are two types of professional types of 9 ball pool players:
  1. Those who have mastered the break
  2. Those who have not mastered the break
For those who have mastered the break (consistent at making a ball on the break, having cue ball in position with clear shot to next ball, and a good spread of the balls), if the tournament is using a template rack, they enjoy a huge advantage. Hard to defeat them when you rarely get to the table to shoot. These players can run several racks in a row when a template rack is used. There are probably a handful of these players on the planet.

For those who have not mastered the break, they are more likely to win with a more nuanced skill-set of shot making, safety play, strategy, and a knack to get out of difficult situations. So the "traditional" (non-template) rack can even the odds between those two types of player a bit.

I don't know why matchroom changed the racking, but I like that it evened out the playing field a little. Players that were winning x - 0 or x - 1 weren't winning with those lopsided margins on the crappy triangle rack. That being said, it was a crock that referees were arbitrarily telling players that they were breaking too soft. Either use the 3 point rule or shut up!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I would say that there are two types of professional types of 9 ball pool players:
  1. Those who have mastered the break
  2. Those who have not mastered the break
For those who have mastered the break (consistent at making a ball on the break, having cue ball in position with clear shot to next ball, and a good spread of the balls), if the tournament is using a template rack, they enjoy a huge advantage. Hard to defeat them when you rarely get to the table to shoot. These players can run several racks in a row when a template rack is used. There are probably a handful of these players on the planet.

For those who have not mastered the break, they are more likely to win with a more nuanced skill-set of shot making, safety play, strategy, and a knack to get out of difficult situations. So the "traditional" (non-template) rack can even the odds between those two types of player a bit.

I don't know why matchroom changed the racking, but I like that it evened out the playing field a little. Players that were winning x - 0 or x - 1 weren't winning with those lopsided margins on the crappy triangle rack. That being said, it was a crock that referees were arbitrarily telling players that they were breaking too soft. Either use the 3 point rule or shut up!
Unfortunately you don't need to be anything close to a pro to master the 9 on the spot template break. It really isn't very difficult to pot the wing and control the 1. The position of the 2 becomes more of a crap shoot, so this is the point where the pro's cue ball control sets them apart.