Keeping Cue Tips FRESH!!

jgroom972

"shootin' from the hip"
I have purchased a bulk order of cue tips. Around 100 tips. Sure i will share with friends, but there will still be more than i will be able to use. I go thru about (4) tips a year including my daily playing cue & break cue.

My first thought was to store them in an "Altoids" canister, then i thought maybe to vacuum seal them.
I guess is it enough to worry about?

Any Advice would be nice.
Thank you.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I have purchased a bulk order of cue tips. Around 100 tips. Sure i will share with friends, but there will still be more than i will be able to use. I go thru about (4) tips a year including my daily playing cue & break cue.

My first thought was to store them in an "Altoids" canister, then i thought maybe to vacuum seal them.

Thank you.
4 tips per year? Wow now thats playing a lot!! Or do you replace them before they are worn down?

jgroom972

"shootin' from the hip"
I replace the one on my break cue every year regardless if its needed. I replace the tip, 2 -"maybe"- 3 times a year on my playing cue. It may work out to 1 tip every 6 months. I don't like for the tip to be right there at the ferule before replacing. when its approaching 1/8", then I will normally have it replaced.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thank you.
What kind of tips did you buy? From my experience I had tips around for like ten years or so from when I used to do cue work.

Most were no good when I went to use a few. You can tell they are no good as soon as you start to cut them down on the lathe.

They were not stored in any special way just in the boxes they came in and loose in a tackle box.

I think for long term storage a vacuum seal would probably be about the best you could do.

jgroom972

"shootin' from the hip"
I used to play with an Everest. Now I am trying Ultraskin M. I have been really happy with them. SInce you cant buy just 1 tip at a time (10 Minimum), i am buying a bundle of them. I just don't want them sitting around for a few years and going "stale".

middleofnowhere

Registered
I used to play with an Everest. Now I am trying Ultraskin M. I have been really happy with them. SInce you cant buy just 1 tip at a time (10 Minimum), i am buying a bundle of them. I just don't want them sitting around for a few years and going "stale".
Don't know about layered tips. Regardless why take a chance. I would still vacuum seal them. I think the important thing is, they be stored in a way the environment is not changing.

This will solve your worry. I have a set on these (different brand) vacuum containers for storing salads. You pump and pull a vacuum. I'm betting at Walmart you can get one pretty cheap.

Geosnookery

I purchased a box p of 32 Elkmaster tips on sale well over a decade ago...closer to two. They are still fine. I play Snooker our Pool every day replace my snooker tip once or twice a year.

However, my basement is dry and cool. Preservation may be different in a humid climate.

Looking, at that Avatar, the Rifleman. Just found out his son ‘Mark’ died. I’m getting old.

jgroom972

"shootin' from the hip"
I purchased a box p of 32 Elkmaster tips on sale well over a decade ago...closer to two. They are still fine. I play Snooker our Pool every day replace my snooker tip once or twice a year.

However, my basement is dry and cool. Preservation may be different in a humid climate.

Looking, at that Avatar, the Rifleman. Just found out his son ‘Mark’ died. I’m getting old.
Yeah, I hat to hear that about ole' Johnny Crawford. That's one of my favorite Westerns. 'Im kind of an old soul. I grew up with my grandparents, and all they watched was westerns.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Yeah, I hat to hear that about ole' Johnny Crawford. That's one of my favorite Westerns. 'Im kind of an old soul. I grew up with my grandparents, and all they watched was westerns.
People like to always point to The Andy Griffith show. But I think rifleman was one of the best on screen father-son relationships.

jgroom972

"shootin' from the hip"
People like to always point to The Andy Griffith show. But I think rifleman was one of the best on screen father-son relationships.
The Andy Griffith show was good as well. But you are right The dynamic between Luke and Mark was great. Luke did a good job raising Mark as a single parent.
Going home tonight to watch some:
Gunsmoke (w/Festus my favorite. but Chester and Quint (Burt Reynolds) was good as well. , Tombstone Territory, Bat Masterson, Lone Ranger. I think I have seen every episode of dang near all of the westerns.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had these for almost 35 years and kept them in these little tins inside a plastic zip lock with other tips and they still play really well

Attachments

• moori.jpg
    moori.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 83

Geosnookery

What’s not to like about a father who mows down a half dozen bad guys every week.

In contrast, did Andy ever unholster his gun?

Jgroom mentions ‘Tombstone Territory’. It’s the earliest western I can ( barely) remember. Actually I only remember the theme song and I still whistle it over the years.

Last edited:

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had OKC cuemaker Kent Taylor install a 1st gen Moori on a Mottry cue I owned.. The tip was at least 25 years old at the time. No issues whatever,played with it everyday with little or no maintanence. My tips are all kept in a small zip lock bag.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
No need to worry whatsoever. I have a box of the original Champion tips from the 70s. Now and then I'll put one on a cue today. They're at least 45 years old, and they're still fine. The tanning that tips go through makes them last.

All the best,
WW