2021 US Open 9 ball Atlantic City?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Matchroom paid out 100K to the winner of the WPC twice back in the late 90's. That was what I was referring to. The IPT had the biggest prize money ever in pool and Efren got 500K for winning at the Venetian. They deducted the maximum of 30% for taxes, leaving him with $350,000. It only took three years for him to get paid. ;)
Thanks for the education, Jay. I never realized they paid that much.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The deal Truedough made was to pay them 11% a month until they were paid off. This was after over a year of wrangling with him to get paid. It started out okay for a couple of months and then the checks started coming intermittently every two to three months. Efren told me it took almost three years for him to get his last check. The referees and other support staff never did get paid in full. He also stiffed the Venetian for their bill. At least he was consistent, everybody got the shaft one way or another. Maybe four or five more years to go on his ten year prison sentence.
Incredibly enough, some of the IPT players made out better than their PBT counterparts. I was told by an insider that in the last couple of PBT events, which I think were in 1999, a couple of players were given PBT stock positions in lieu of payment by Don Mackey. It was the beginning of the end.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Incredibly enough, some of the IPT players made out better than their PBT counterparts. I was told by an insider that in the last couple of PBT events, which I think were in 1999, that a couple of players were given PBT stock positions in lieu of payment by Don Mackey. It was the beginning of the end.
According to reports, the total shortfall of PBT prize funds was $400,000. At the time of the $800k settlement with Camel (RJR), there was mention of that being paid off, but the story changed later. I don't know if the players ever got paid the money that was due them.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Incredibly enough, some of the IPT players made out better than their PBT counterparts. I was told by an insider that in the last couple of PBT events, which I think were in 1999, that a couple of players were given PBT stock positions in lieu of payment by Don Mackey. It was the beginning of the end.
The PBT under Don Mackey refused to pay out any prize money during the last four stops on the Camel Tour in its final year. The players continued on anyway because Camel had guaranteed the $600,000 in season ending prize money paid out to the top fifteen players (80K to first). Mackey promised the players that he would make sure they were paid after the settlement with Camel, but he ended up going South (literally to Florida) with the settlement money.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to reports, the total shortfall of PBT prize funds was $400,000. At the time of the $800k settlement with Camel (RJR), there was mention of that being paid off, but the story changed later. I don't know if the players ever got paid the money that was due them.
Mackey took the settlement money and was never heard from again. The players got played!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Mackey ever face any legal charges for this? If no, why not? If yes, what happened?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Registration open...

Same breaking schema as the WPC. Rules/regs found here: https://matchroompool.com/wp-content/uploads/US-Open-2021-Player-Agreement-FINAL.pdf

Rules state that you have to stay at Harah's unless you're a local....
That hotel rule is kinda chickenshit imo. Wonder if that's a 'keep the matches flowing on-time' deal or a way for MR to guarantee the hotel more $$ 'because they're in on the room rentals. UD: just checked and two people for seven nights(ci 9/12, co 9/19) with discount is $1,043+tax/fees. Call it $1100. That's about $157/ni for two. Not that terrible. Still don't think they should force you stay there. Just tell 'em you're staying with local friends/family and give 'em a local address. Kinda like on Paypal. ;)

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Harrahs is a shithole and I will NEVER stay there again.

Golden Nugget(where I'm currently at) or Borgata are a 1,000 times better.

Anybody else in Jersey or Nevada playing WSOP online events? I'm here for a week and then reevaluate if I'm staying longer. Cashed first event 😀

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the education, Jay. I never realized they paid that much.
Yep, the World tournament paid out quite a bit, they had something kike an 80,000 first prize also, then it dropped pretty signifintatly. I think Earl won it a few times when it was high.

Something we just found out about the US Open, my son wanted to enter, but turns out they make you stay in the host hotel instead of just picking anything in the area, which costs a bunch more so he is now probably not going to play.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, the World tournament paid out quite a bit, they had something kike an 80,000 first prize also, then it dropped pretty signifintatly. I think Earl won it a few times when it was high.

Something we just found out about the US Open, my son wanted to enter, but turns out they make you stay in the host hotel instead of just picking anything in the area, which costs a bunch more so he is now probably not going to play.
Just another way to kill pool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another way to kill pool.
I searched on a few travel sites and the lowest i found for those dates was around $90/night for 2. You either need a car or uber/taxi back and forth. So staying at the host venue is not that bad a deal. Being required to do so is what bothers me.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as the Harrah's room rate goes, be sure not to stay at Harrah's on Saturday and avoid Friday if you can. If you stay six nights and leave on Saturday (not Sunday), the room total for two queen beds is roughly

800 base rate for six nights, rate varies by day
30 "lodging fee"
150 "resort fee"
112 state tax
--------------
$1092 estimated total for two queen beds for six nights with all taxes and fees

Self parking is additional, but you get a $5/day discount.

Reservations have a 24-hour cancellation policy or you forfeit one night's charges.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Being required to do so is what bothers me.
As far as the Harrah's room rate goes, be sure not to stay at Harrah's on Saturday and avoid Friday if you can.
If you read through the rules/regs sheet I posted, it states that competitors must be at Harah's on the 11th (Saturday).
Screenshot from 2021-07-02 11-28-24.png

I'm thinking that if you make it into the money then the cost of staying there becomes moot

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, but my best guess is it was in the 2001-2003 range.
And it was the Japan Open as opposed to the 'All Japan Championship'? They both exist did exist with the latter being the most prestigious this century I believe.

It looks like the Japan Open was only played in 2009 and 10 only. Efren won the All Japan Championship in 2005

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, but my best guess is it was in the 2001-2003 range.
The Japan Open or the more prestigious 'All Japan Championship'?

I tried to delete this post 3 times but then both my posts get deleted and im tired of writing so im leaving this.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched on a few travel sites and the lowest i found for those dates was around $90/night for 2. You either need a car or uber/taxi back and forth. So staying at the host venue is not that bad a deal. Being required to do so is what bothers me.
there ya go.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you read through the rules/regs sheet I posted, it states that competitors must be at Harah's on the 11th (Saturday).
In that case, add about $300 for a Saturday night to the total room cost.