Stats -- Van Boening vs. Woodward 7-Foot 10-Ball Race to 150, July 2021

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from the Shane Van Boening vs. Skyler Woodward 10-Ball match played at Sandite Billiards & Grill in Tulsa, OK on July 9-11, 2021. Pay-per-view streaming was provided by Omega Billiards. The primary commentators were Joey Gray, Chip Compton, and Jason Sword.

This match was a race to 150 game wins played over 3 days. Van Boening trailed by 7 games after Day 1. But he took an 11 game lead after Day 2 on the strength of a 26-game win streak that day, and then doubled Woodward in game wins on Day 3 to end with a 36 game margin of victory. So the scores each day (Van Boening's score first) were as follows.
Day 1 -- 43 - 50​
Day 2 -- 57 - 39 (2-day total 100 - 89)​
Day 3 -- 50 - 25​
Total -- 150 - 114​
[Note: My stream was frozen for Games 194 and 195 near the start of Day 3, and those games were not shown on the reloop available the past 3 days. So most of my stats are for 262 games instead of 264. Although I do not know any of the details of the play in those two missing games, I do know that Van Boening broke and won both of them. So those 2 games are included in the Breaker Won Game stats below. But Van Boening may have had 1 or 2 more B&R games than are shown below.]​

Conditions -- The conditions for this event included:
- 7-foot Diamond table with pro-cut pockets (4½" corners);​
- new, blue Simonis cloth;​
- Predator Arcos II balls;​
- Accu-Rack racking template;​
- rack your own, with the 1-ball on the foot spot and the 2-ball and 3-ball on the back corners;​
- winner breaks from anywhere behind the head string;​
- call shots (but not safes), with the opponent having a choice of shooting or passing it back if a ball is pocketed illegally;​
- early called combos or caroms on the 10-ball win the game (a 10-ball on the break is spotted);​
- 3-foul rule in effect (did not happen);​
- jump cues allowed;​
- cue ball fouls only;​
- no shot clock; and​
- lag for opening break on Day 1 (won by Woodward).​

■ Van Boening broke 147 times -- successful 130 times (resulting in 98 game wins and 32 losses), 6 fouls (all losses), and 11 dry (5 wins, 6 losses).

■ Woodward broke 115 times -- successful 94 times (resulting in 69 game wins and 25 losses), 8 fouls (all losses), and 13 dry (1 win, 12 losses).

Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Van Boening -- 130 of 147 (88%)​
Woodward -- 94 of 115 (82%)​
Total -- 224 of 262 (85%)​

Unsuccessful breaks (fouled or dry):
Van Boening -- 17 of 147 (12%)​
Woodward -- 21 of 115 (18%)​
Total -- 38 of 262 (15%)​

Breaker won game:
Van Boening -- 105 of 149 (70%)​
Woodward -- 70 of 115 (61%)​
Total -- 175 of 264 (66%)​

Break-and-run games -- on all breaks:
Van Boening -- 76 of 147 (52%)​
Woodward -- 57 of 115 (50%)​
Total -- 133 of 262 (51%)​

Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Van Boening -- 76 of 130 (58%)​
Woodward -- 57 of 94 (61%)​
Total -- 133 of 224 (59%)​

Fouls and foul rates: [Note: "games at the table" means total games less opponent's B&R games.]
Van Boening -- 13 fouls, including 6 on the break, in 205 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 15.8 games at the table)​
Woodward -- 24 fouls, including 8 on the break, in 186 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 7.8 games at the table)​
Total -- 37 fouls in 262 games (1 per 7.1 games)​

Missed shots (est.):
Van Boening -- 34 misses in 205 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 6.0 games at the table)​
Woodward -- 20 misses in 186 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 9.3 games at the table)​
Total -- 54 misses in 262 games (1 per 4.9 games)​

Run-outs from first shot after break:
By Van Boening after his own successful break -- 76 of 130 (58%)​
By Van Boening after Woodward's failed break -- 14 of 21 (67%)​
By Van Boening, total -- 90 of 151 (60%)​
By Woodward after his own successful break -- 57 of 94 (61%)​
By Woodward after Van Boening's failed break -- 10 of 17 (59%)​
By Woodward, total -- 67 of 111 (60%)​
Total for Van Boening and Woodward -- 157 of 262 (60%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Van Boening's break:
By Van Boening -- 76 of 130 (58%)​
By Woodward -- 10 of 17 (59%)​
Total -- 86 of 147 (59%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Woodward's break:
By Woodward -- 57 of 94 (61%)​
By Van Boening -- 14 of 21 (67%)​
Total -- 71 of 115 (62%)​

Break-and-run packages
Van Boening's 76 B&R games consisted of 1 7-pack, 1 6-pack, 1 5-pack, 2 4-packs, 6 3-packs, 10 2-packs, and 12 singles​
Woodward's 57 B&R games consisted of 1 7-pack, 1 5-pack, 1 4-pack, 5 3-packs, 5 2-packs, and 16 singles​

Games with 1 or more safeties (est)-- 23% (60 of 262)

Average number of balls made on the break:
Van Boening -- 1.8 on all breaks, 2.0 on successful breaks​
Woodward -- 1.7 on all breaks, 1.9 on successful breaks​
Total -- 1.8 on all breaks, 1.9 on successful breaks​

Number of innings -- 73% (191 of 262) of the games ended in one inning, with 133 games ending on the breaker's first inning (B&R games) and 58 games ending on the non-breaker's first inning. 23 games ended on the breaker's second inning, and 18 games ended on the non-breaker's second inning. 11% (30 of 262) of the games went beyond the non-breaker's second visit to the table, with the longest game ending on the non-breaker's 8th visit.

10-balls on the break -- None. (It would have been spotted.)

Match length -- Approximately 20 hours, for an average of 4.5 minutes per game. This includes racking and brief timeouts, but excludes a total of a little over an hour for 3 longer intermissions (one each day).

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well Simonis has cloth choices and they stated the type and color so I thought I'd ask since I'll be there next weekend.

And zar back at yah, why does matter, that I asked this question?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 non-breaking fouls in 205 games.

16 non-breaking fouls in 186 games.

Sounds like Shane won the safety game.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Distribution of consecutive game wins, i.e. winning streaks. Counts are given for Van Boening first, then Woodward, then the total.
1 game -- 18 times, 17 times, 35 times​
2 games -- 9, 12, 21​
3 games -- 4, 3, 7​
4 games -- 6, 6, 12​
5 games-- 1, 3, 4​
6 games -- 1, 3, 4​
7 games -- 2, 1, 3​
8 games -- 1, 0, 1​
9 games -- 1, 0, 1​
10 games -- 1, 0, 1​
26 games -- 1, 0, 1​

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In Van Boening's 26-game winning streak he had 20 B&R games, consisting of packages (in order) of 2, 6, 5, 3, 4.

In the other 6 games of the streak, Van Boening's runouts followed a Woodward miss once, a Woodward safety 4 times, and a Woodward return of table to Van Boening after a push out.

In

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In Van Boening's 26-game winning streak he had 20 B&R games, consisting of packages (in order) of 2, 6, 5, 3, 4.

In the other 6 games of the streak, Van Boening's runouts followed a Woodward miss once, a Woodward safety 4 times, and a Woodward return of table to Van Boening after a push out.

In
76 break and runs... I quit.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
76 break and runs... I quit.
And it might have been 77 or 78, given that I didn't see the details of two games. But he was at 51% or 52% of his breaks for all 3 possibilities.

[Digital Pool had Shane at 78 B&Rs, but they had Sky at 55 whereas I counted 57.]

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it might have been 77 or 78, given that I didn't see the details of two games. But he was at 51% or 52% of his breaks for all 3 possibilities.

[Digital Pool had Shane at 78 B&Rs, but they had Sky at 55 whereas I counted 57.]

They also had Shane with a 10 pack, which they admitted was wrong.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In

What your stats don’t show (and couldn’t of course) is the hyper aggressive style that led to a good number of run outs. I’m thinking of the run outs started with jumps, or banks. Some of those run outs (by both players) were examples of just overpowering the table when most humans would have played safe.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Top pros playing 10 ball on a 7 foot table is like shooting ducks in a barrel for them.
How boring.
Well, yeah, sort of. But it can still be interesting as to how they do what they do. In this match, the player at the table after the break ran out from there 73% of the time (1-inning games). Here are comparisons for fairly recent 10-Ball matches on 9-footers:

56% for Woodward defeated Gomez, Feb. 2021
60% for Gorst d. De Luna, Jan. 2021
50% for Styer d. Robinson, Apr. 2020
58% for Van Boening d. Orcollo, Nov. 2019
66% for Van Boening d. Shaw, Aug. 2019

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well Simonis has cloth choices and they stated the type and color so I thought I'd ask since I'll be there next weekend.

And zar back at yah, why does matter, that I asked this question?
You didn't say anything about going there til now. Was your trip based on what kind of cloth they had? My original answer was based on the outcome of the match as in "did the cloth matter?" No.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Had Zero to do with.
I just doesn't matter. :)
It was ''just a question'' w/o any other motives, intentions.
Conversation is what I call it.
Since I know how this board rolls................:)

I had NO idea it was important for anyhone to know that I'm going to OK.

Since you want to KNOW.

I was in CA last week, LA a mth ago and TX two weeks ago, and Santa Fe.

Where are you going next week? LOL

Bye.........done with this silly verbage.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had Zero to do with.
I just doesn't matter. :)
It was ''just a question'' w/o any other motives, intentions.
Conversation is what I call it.
Since I know how this board rolls................:)

I had NO idea it was important for anyhone to know that I'm going to OK.

Since you want to KNOW.

I was in CA last week, LA a mth ago and TX two weeks ago, and Santa Fe.

Where are you going next week? LOL

Bye.........done with this silly verbage.
Its regular 860. Might go to the tournament. Live in Tulsa.