How about a cue this is made with 19th Century Ivory? Love it or Hate it.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's hear the opinions. I think if it's legal, I'd love to have one with tons of Ivory.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't own one yet. May make a deal on one soon.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts on this, is Ivory gonna make the cue play better, hit 10 ton, more then likely it will add value to the cue & done properly, make its appearance look elegant. Other then that, there are cue makers today doing beautiful work w/o using Ivory what so ever and there cues look amazing.
Just my 2 cents worth
PS; Sorry I didn`t answer the question, I can do w/o Ivory in a cue & still be happy with it.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts on this, is Ivory gonna make the cue play better, hit 10 ton, more then likely it will add value to the cue & done properly, make its appearance look elegant. Other then that, there are cue makers today doing beautiful work w/o using Ivory what so ever and there cues look amazing with no Ivory in them.
Just my 2 cents worth
PS; Sorry I didn`t answer the question, I can do w/o Ivory in a cue & still be happy with it.
But If you owned a Balabuska (which I have owned and sold), would you play with it? This is the reason many of us own beautiful cue sticks. Not to play with, but to keep it in the safe. Any scratches would damage it. So, it's a treasure.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fossilized ivory is legal and readily available from suppliers. It is used a lot in knife handles and pistol grips. I had a custom skinning knife years ago that had fossilized mammoth ivory scales.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
But If you owned a Balabuska (which I have owned and sold), would you play with it? This is the reason many of us own beautiful cue sticks. Not to play with, but to keep it in the safe. Any scratches would damage it. So, it's a treasure.
Yes I would, I`ve never owned a cue I wouldn`t play with. That`s what they were made for to begin with right? I`m not knocking Ivory at all, just saying all that bling won`t make it play any better will it?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not better but different (if ivory joint). I wanted ivory and Richard literally had a warehouse full of pre-ban ivory, so I got me a cue. Still love it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Not better but different (if ivory joint). I wanted ivory and Richard literally had a warehouse full of pre-ban ivory, so I got me a cue. Still love it.
Does Ivory make the cue play better? Just asking here as I do know know.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If I owned a cue with Ivory and it was so nice that I would not use it...Ivory would not make it play any better.🙃

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best shafts I've owned have been ivory ferrule-ed.

I can't stand how (non capped) ivory jointed cues I've had played.

Ivory in the butt? Could take it or leave it and I own cues with/ without currently.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having seen many photos of dead elephants killed for their ivory, I could never ask a cue maker for anything ivory in a new build.

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've heard of Marie Antoinette's famous billiards cue (a mace, strictly speaking) made from a single piece of ivory and decorated with gold and jewels. But so far as I know there aren't any pictures in circulation.

The cue must (presumably) still exist. In storage in some French palace perhaps?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Antiques are just that. I really don't like ivory, but I have a few old cues with ivory and am not going to tear the parts off.

It's a relic of a bygone era, and people using it today have their own justifications.

Certainly not playability though, there's a reason that exactly zero pros use ivory.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I played with a really fancy one at a pool hall daily for years. Sold it for 19k, but I shot thousands of balls with it joyfully.

If you are in a decent environment, why not play with a fancy cue?