what's the best cue you ever hit with, and why?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
While I agree hit is subjective, the three best cues I've hit with are: Mason Houghland cue, Bluegrass (current player), and a Joey Bautista conversion. I really liked the two kersenbrocks I've hit, would be happy to own one.

My 3rd favorite cue was a d17 mcdermott I had back in 1990. It wasn't the best hitter, but I won a decent amount of money with it.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
From my own personal experience, I would say the cue that you used the longest. Fact of the matter is that if the tip is rounded, the cue is straight, and deflection properly accounted for, all cues will perform roughly the same. Things like "feel" or "hit" or "sound" are all mental. People shoot better with certain cues because that's what they feel more comfortable with. When people are more comfortable, they perform better. The cue itself is not necessarily performing better.
Yeah agreed except it really only needs to be "straightish" lol. I can really only think of one cue that I thought hit like crap, and it had a problem I later discovered that probably explained it. I have owned one of the following at some point, and all "hit well" in that they hit solidly / no weird buzzes:

Tascarella
70s Joss
Lucasi
Predator
Schon
R. Black
Hercek
Gina
First Catalog Palmer
Viking
Adams Balabushka

I tend to like a cue that goes "PING" and has a stiff to medium stiff hit. Otherwise, it's preference.

Tell you what, though, that I *really* like that Schon (STL4). Very solid hit, noticeable ping.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early 90's Lambros with a 3/8-10 flat face joint.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my own personal experience, I would say the cue that you used the longest. Fact of the matter is that if the tip is rounded, the cue is straight, and deflection properly accounted for, all cues will perform roughly the same. Things like "feel" or "hit" or "sound" are all mental. People shoot better with certain cues because that's what they feel more comfortable with. When people are more comfortable, they perform better. The cue itself is not necessarily performing better.

cheers for the comment. please consider this a "reply to all"/thinking out loud-

humans are adaptable, but does that mean we should put ourselves to the test?
in pool, we already have to adapt plenty on the table, especially when things aren't going right
so, if we're to succeed, shouldn't we limit the number of variables that could throw our game off?
a cue (the very item that connects us to the balls, and therefore, pockets) seems like a good thing to care about

I agree that our performance doesn't have to change much with a few things in mind- as you mentioned, good tip, and deflection
and I happily concede knowledge and having a good attitude account for so much-
but, if we possess these qualities, then what's left to get out of our games? small things.
"when people are more comfortable, they perform better"- I couldn't agree more.
so, if someone like's a cue balanced high/low, the cue shorter/longer, or a certain wood's tone, etc.- why not go with that?
both technical and metaphysical reasons apply here- just because "hit" is subjective to our puny/amazing brains, doesn't mean it's not quantifiable
and obviously what works for one player, might not work for another- does that mean we shouldn't share with, and can't be inspired by each other?
of course not. there is always more to learn, and quite often, from unlikely places- but if we don't care about improving our games, or if we limit "how"
then how will we?

I'm reminded now of what uncle george said- "free your mind, and your ass will follow"

thanks all for the replies-

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I couldn't narrow it down to one. A piece of crap I played with for countless hours as a teenager was a great cue, at the time! A one piece four splice snooker cue with a very early milk dud from before that name was a lousy hitting cue that performed magic. A friend's cue, I think built by Mike Bender, stands out as a very sweet hitting cue. Another cue of his with a predator CF shaft forced my first CF purchase, it hit that nice!

Some cues are sweet to hit with but don't play particularly well. Some control the cue ball like it is a drone but don't feel pleasant to play with. When you stumble on the cue that plays great for you and feels great doing it, you have a bit of magic. When somebody else wants to try it the answer should be a flat no! I had such a magic cue. My brother came home on leave and naturally I couldn't let him play on my home table with a cue inferior to mine so we were passing it back and forth. I won a game of eight ball, he reached out with my cue to tap a ball down to the rack area with the side of the shaft. Just a gentle tap before I could get the words out not to do that with that shaft! Totally unable to explain it, two inches and all of the magic broke off of the end of that shaft. A bitter lesson learned!

Snooker and billiard players sometimes retire when something happens to their cue, particularly those from long ago. If and when a cue becomes that magic extension of your body it should be treated like purest gold. I forgot that lesson a few times, always with regrets!

Hu

I'm not as seasoned or experienced they way most here are, but the best single cue I have ever hit with was a Schuler cue. Specifically, Robert Byrnes' personal cue(the one he used on his DVD's). I have played a single 9-ball rack with it. It's got an older style Schuler joints, with less pieces in the construction of it. From the looks of it, he didn't start with a Brunswick blank as he did with several other of his earlier cues. The giant wood-to-wood contact area in the joint is the reason for the feel, in my opinion. I didn't think it would be anything special, but the feel was unlike any other I've shot with.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize "hit" is often subjective, and that's ok- I'd still like to hear about it
and if there's some technical spec., balance, length, weight, wood, etc. worth mentioning, please do
Once again all the negative and completely unnecessary comments from people who seem to lead unhappy lives, have over-blown opinions about their own importance, and feel the need to make themselves feel big by belittling someone else. Of course this is a completely subjective question and the OP undoubtedly knows that. It you'd like to contribute with an appropriate response that actually answers the question please do so. If all you have to say is to mock the post, just move on.
For me, the first time I played with a Pechauer Pro series cue, I knew it was what I was looking for. Hard to tell why exactly, but the butt diameter was a little slimmer, the balance was a little more weight forward, and when I hit the ball it felt great in my hands.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josey,Tad and Southwest.
Flip a coin on theses three for me.
I got to hit with a Black Boar yesterday and I dont see the fascination with these cues.
I love my Pechauer but finally decided to try a custom made cue and I've never heard about thing about Keith Josey, so I ordered a merry widow from him, will be waiting about 8 months. I gave him a butt diameter I like and a weight, but other than that I look forward to playing with it. Even if I don't fall in love with it right away, I'm guessing I'll get my money back if I ever decide to sell it.

Once again all the negative and completely unnecessary comments from people who seem to lead unhappy lives, have over-blown opinions about their own importance, and feel the need to make themselves feel big by belittling someone else. Of course this is a completely subjective question and the OP undoubtedly knows that. It you'd like to contribute with an appropriate response that actually answers the question please do so. If all you have to say is to mock the post, just move on.
For me, the first time I played with a Pechauer Pro series cue, I knew it was what I was looking for. Hard to tell why exactly, but the butt diameter was a little slimmer, the balance was a little more weight forward, and when I hit the ball it felt great in my hands.
Amen, brother!
I can tell you that I've seldom seen questions on this forum that DON'T get slammed into the ground. It has kept me (and likely many more) from posting on many occasions.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus Szamboti Hoppe cue. Probably 99% the mystique of the cue/builder/history more than anything but gosh that man could build a cue that moved the cue ball.

I have owned several older Schon cues that play superb as well and could not be taken lightly. From that point it typically goes downhill.
I have 2 Gus Hoppe’s that are almost identical. Just the order of the veneer colors are different. Anyways, it’s amazing how good one plays and how bad the other plays. I’ve only played with a couple Gus’s that I just didn’t care for. But man that one Hoppe is so good and the other….meh.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 Gus Hoppe’s that are almost identical. Just the order of the veneer colors are different. Anyways, it’s amazing how good one plays and how bad the other plays. I’ve only played with a couple Gus’s that I just didn’t care for. But man that one Hoppe is so good and the other….meh.
I hung out in a room in Jersey that the owner and Gus were friends.
The owner had about 15 Gus cues and there were a handful owned by some players.
I got to hit balls with most of the cues and there was one with green veneers that just didn't feel right.
I never cared for the hit of his cues,way too stiff for me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to hit balls with most of the cues and there was one with green veneers that just didn't feel right.
That’s how the one Hoppe is, stiff and dead, best way to describe it. That’s unusual for a Gus, most “hit a ton” lol j/k they do play well.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s how the one Hoppe is, stiff and dead, best way to describe it. That’s unusual for a Gus, most “hit a ton” lol j/k they do play well.
Working with a natural material like wood there is bound to be a dud now and then.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel that way about SW. Love the look and wood
combinations. Well executed. The hit, meh.

bellmagic

Registered
I've been playing for a long time, and have owned and played with most of the "known" cues made. I've changed what I like, trying to find the best fit for me, and I've always loved wood to wood cues, Meucci, McDermott, Jacoby, Lucasi, Viking, and now play with a Dale Perry. For me, they are as good as any cue made, are generally 1/1 cues and signed by Dale. Mine was actually custom made by Dale, 19 oz, straight taper, and I play with a Kamui Black, Clear hard tip. I love the hit, balance, feel, quality, and like knowing there isn't another cue like it on the planet.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize "hit" is often subjective, and that's ok- I'd still like to hear about it
and if there's some technical spec., balance, length, weight, wood, etc. worth mentioning, please do
I never blamed the cue for good or bad shots. I always held the shooter at fault.