Feel Good Pool Story

DustinMetzger

Registered
About 4 or 5 years ago my dad bought a leather instroke 2x2 case from the winstar pawnshop for $80. My 2x2 case fell apart and my dad gave me his. 2 weeks ago on Tuesday I noticed it had writing towards the bottom and showed my buddy B Brendan Fitzgerald. Later that night I get home, get on Facebook messenger and none other than Steve Langston(never met him before) popped up on my messenger and I sent him the picture of it and asked if it was his and he said yes his cousin Wayne gave it to him and it was stolen 6-7 years ago. Wayne wrote on it to: Steven Langston from: Wayne Langston Give it hell, take all the money, good luck. 1/31/04. This all happened within a 12 hour period. Crazy coincidence!!!! Steve bought it back for the $80 my dad spent on it. P.S. whoever steals pool equipment get fucked.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 4 or 5 years ago my dad bought a leather instroke 2x2 case from the winstar pawnshop for $80. My 2x2 case fell apart and my dad gave me his. 2 weeks ago on Tuesday I noticed it had writing towards the bottom and showed my buddy B Brendan Fitzgerald. Later that night I get home, get on Facebook messenger and none other than Steve Langston(never met him before) popped up on my messenger and I sent him the picture of it and asked if it was his and he said yes his cousin Wayne gave it to him and it was stolen 6-7 years ago. Wayne wrote on it to: Steven Langston from: Wayne Langston Give it hell, take all the money, good luck. 1/31/04. This all happened within a 12 hour period. Crazy coincidence!!!! Steve bought it back for the $80 my dad spent on it. P.S. whoever steals pool equipment get fucked.

So dude gets his case stolen, finds it, then has to pay to get it back? Is this normally how this type of thing works?

soyale

So dude gets his case stolen, finds it, then has to pay to get it back? Is this normally how this type of thing works?
In your mind, does it make more sense for the dad that just bought the case to be out $80, or the guy who lost the case 7 years ago?

I’m sure the gentleman offered to cover their losses just to get his case back, if for nothing other than righteous victory over the thieves. I know i would.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Most likely from his buddy B Brendan Fitzgerald, whom may be mutual buddies with both parties involved

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your mind, does it make more sense for the dad that just bought the case to be out $80, or the guy who lost the case 7 years ago?

I’m sure the gentleman offered to cover their losses just to get his case back, if for nothing other than righteous victory over the thieves. I know i would.
Neither. If the thieves got away with it, the next on the hook should be the pawn shop for receiving stolen goods. Maybe the 4-5 years would complicate that though...didn't see that part when I first read it. Disregard and carry on

soyale

Neither. If the thieves got away with it, the next on the hook should be the pawn shop for receiving stolen goods. Maybe the 4-5 years would complicate that though...didn't see that part when I first read it. Disregard and carry on
I agree with you. My only point was the father made a fair transaction and shouldn’t be punished.

DustinMetzger

Registered

Yes he offered to pay what my dad paid for it from the pawn shop. My dad had it for 4-5 years and never noticed the writing on the bottom. It was pretty faded.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that the OP did a very nice thing by selling the case back to the original owner for just the price his dad paid for it in the pawnshop. (y)(y)

DustinMetzger

Registered
I think that the OP did a very nice thing by selling the case back to the original owner for just the price his dad paid for it in the pawnshop. (y)(y)
Thank you. Yeah I don’t think it would be fair for my dad to be screwed out of $80. Steve was more than happy to pay the $80 to get his stolen care back because it was a gift from his cousin. I only had the case for a week or so when I noticed the writing.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
everything worked out okay and all happy.

if it got ugly and original owner wanted it back for free, the op would have every right to ask for proof it was stolen like a police report.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Had a step-son once steal my chainsaw. Left the case sittin' where I'd left it so none the wiser till I went to
cut some wood. First stop was the local pawn shop. showed them a copy of the original purchase receipt
but had to pay them what they were out to get it back. That was Ohio so laws may be different elsewhere.

hank