Interesting joint.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone recognize this style of joint?

The pilot’s threads start halfway down the insert.

B2UWgIa.jpg

nZRIg8x.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I've seen this same pin in the shaft a bunch. Non-Brunswick. I've seen it in AE Schmidt and other makers of the US and overseas

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If done properly, the joint makes a lot of sense to me. How well fitted is the pilot? Unfortunately with it being made of wood, that can become a slight issue with humidity change. No point in the pilot though unless it's snug. I think there isn't even a need for that many threads.

That said, these days competent cue makers are able to deliver flat face joints with repeatable precision that will be just as good. No need to over engineer it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If done properly, the joint makes a lot of sense to me. How well fitted is the pilot? Unfortunately with it being made of wood, that can become a slight issue with humidity change. No point in the pilot though unless it's snug. I think there isn't even a need for that many threads.

That said, these days competent cue makers are able to deliver flat face joints with repeatable precision that will be just as good. No need to over engineer it.

The issue is with the engineering of threads. Typical threads have very little contact and little lateral locating ability. Then it becomes a question of whether to rely on threads which were never intended to have lateral locating ability or some sort of locating system. A joint face is under constant wear every time it is screwed together and of course does not have anything but the roughness of the faces creating any ability to hold the cue and shaft aligned assuming it is aligned at first contact.

The quality of a flat faced joint is largely dependent on the fit of the threads of the insert and pin. Precision cut pins and inserts cost more and cheaper versions are very readily available. If a cue builder understands the differences and is willing to pay for them, you get a joint that will have better lateral guidance for a longer time than cheaper pins and inserts. If a cue builder doesn't understand these things they may well think a pin is a pin and an insert is an insert. Some well known cheap cue makers cut corners all over the place including with pins and inserts.

Threads are used for fastening, they should never be used for locating. Per my machinists handbook I haven't seen in decades. I will take the overkill of a piloted joint of some sort over threads to locate. Does it hurt if the joint moves around a little bit? Back your joint off one turn and play a few racks with it!

Hu

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue is with the engineering of threads. Typical threads have very little contact and little lateral locating ability. Then it becomes a question of whether to rely on threads which were never intended to have lateral locating ability or some sort of locating system. A joint face is under constant wear every time it is screwed together and of course does not have anything but the roughness of the faces creating any ability to hold the cue and shaft aligned assuming it is aligned at first contact.

The quality of a flat faced joint is largely dependent on the fit of the threads of the insert and pin. Precision cut pins and inserts cost more and cheaper versions are very readily available. If a cue builder understands the differences and is willing to pay for them, you get a joint that will have better lateral guidance for a longer time than cheaper pins and inserts. If a cue builder doesn't understand these things they may well think a pin is a pin and an insert is an insert. Some well known cheap cue makers cut corners all over the place including with pins and inserts.

Threads are used for fastening, they should never be used for locating. Per my machinists handbook I haven't seen in decades. I will take the overkill of a piloted joint of some sort over threads to locate. Does it hurt if the joint moves around a little bit? Back your joint off one turn and play a few racks with it!

Hu
Note I said competent cue makers. A pilot is not "better" mechanically if it is not done properly, either. While what you say is correct for a machinist, there have been a lot of years of actual practice with cues to validate that a properly made flat faced joint is good. It is not objectively "better". From a joinery standpoint, the best it could be is not be inferior to a properly made piloted joint. But from a "hit" standpoint, it will make a difference depending on what materials are used. None is better objectively, but it's fine to have a preference. Realistically, it may be more practical to execute a flat faced joint for someone who knows what they're doing, and it is also repairable. If a joint fails, it doesn't have catastrophic consequences. So in the end assuming proper construction it comes down to preferences. Flat faced is a lot more common for newer cues, but I guess my vantage point here is more looking at reputable custom makers, so maybe for most production cues you're better off with a piloted joint.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Adam used that joint on some of their cues. It would be hard to say what you have from just pics of the joint though. Do you happen know who made yours? Pics of the whole cue would be cool.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adam used that joint on some of their cues. It would be hard to say what you have from just pics of the joint though. Do you happen know who made yours? Pics of the whole cue would be cool.

qde6bkZ.jpg

WomC8Hn.jpg