Need help identifying Adam cue

cuefeene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not I’m sorry and advance. I just wanted to see if I can get some help identifying this Adam cue. I’ve tried looking through catalogs online but had no luck. I have no history on the cue, only that a family member found it hidden in a closet after a death in the family. He thinks it’s from the 80s and I have no idea. The cue looks like it’s never been used or was refinished. Please help.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hi guys. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not I’m sorry and advance. I just wanted to see if I can get some help identifying this Adam cue. I’ve tried looking through catalogs online but had no luck. I have no history on the cue, only that a family member found it hidden in a closet after a death in the family. He thinks it’s from the 80s and I have no idea. The cue looks like it’s never been used or was refinished. Please help.
A picture will be helpful in getting help, Adam made a bunch of models and without a picture it will be difficult to ID this one.

cuefeene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not I’m sorry and advance. I just wanted to see if I can get some help identifying this Adam cue. I’ve tried looking through catalogs online but had no luck. I have no history on the cue, only that a family member found it hidden in a closet after a death in the family. He thinks it’s from the 80s and I have no idea. The cue looks like it’s never been used or was refinished. Please help. here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG-0155.jpg
    IMG-0155.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-0154.jpg
    IMG-0154.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG-0153.jpg
    IMG-0153.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG-0152.jpg
    IMG-0152.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG-0156.jpg
    IMG-0156.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 165

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
you need to add a picture showing the design in the butt sleeve

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
page 106 in the 3rd edition blue book of pool cues. says it is from the first catalog in the 70's

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, your cue looks like it is in excellent condition. As an Adam cue from that era, with a very desirable pearl dot and diamond inlay pattern from that period, a six pointer, ebony woods, nice leather wrap, basically almost, if not new condition- I could see an offer of $500 or possibly more.

I wonder if there was a case for the cue, possible that it could have some value as well. Odd to find an unused, solo cue in a closet like that- it was a fairly high end production model back when new. Did the owner have any pool playing history? Most closet queen cues are found in a case in a closet or basement closet where young guys either bought or were given a cue and then shortly went off to college and never returned back to the game.

Some were from guys who went off to the armed services and did not pick up the game upon return. Especially in the late 60s to early 70s when pool halls were closing left and right partially due to the Vietnam war claiming their patrons.

More sadly are the cues that were left in closets from the guys who did not return from wars- Vietnam being the the largest contributor.

Post the case photo if you have one, If the cue is unplayed, and you do want to sell it- I would leave it unplayed so that it can honestly be sold as new old stock- otherwise just enjoy it:)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that info. I asked the family member that was selling it and they said the guy died at 60 years old and they were going through things and they happen to find the cue. It was in like a vinyl zip up case that looks pretty brand new as well. I will post it later when I get home. I guess I’ll be keeping it because I pay 475 for it. Unless someone wants to give me more, that’s the only way I would sell it I guess. Definitely never been played yet. Because the tip was even unused on it. Although I did scruff the tip down in anticipation to play with it. But I wanted to ask you guys about it before I did that.
Sounds like it's the original tip(50 years old) and it may be dried out,but worth a try.

cuefeene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heres the case!

Attachments

• IMG-0158.jpg
    IMG-0158.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG-0157.jpg
    IMG-0157.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 99

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, not a case with any true value- maybe $30 or so. Well, at $475 you paid around market value, since it is new old stock. It should play very well, I do think that if you want to sell it at a profit you will need to sell it outside of e bay to avoid about 15% in fees. I also think, not anticipating any expected spike in demand for vintage Adam cues, that your best bet as a seller is to list it now before it is a used cue.

However, if you are looking at it as a potential player and love the cue and it's design - then by all means enjoy, take great care of it, and you made a fair purchase at a fair market value price. I expect that it will hold a good amount of your purchase price for some time to come- at a minimum.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if I can get 600 for it I’d be happy. I think I will try to sell it.
Unless you need the money think twice about selling it.
I had a Palmer window cue in 1980 and sold it and a nice case for $65.00.
That cue is worth about $1200 now and I sure wish I had kept it.
Not because it went up in value but because it's a part of cue history.