Something I don't understand about pool

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to come across as overly critical of the people organizing the tournament because they are running a legit tournament with good money. Having said that the use a diamond table with tight pockets to punish poor play. The same time they do that they allow this.

1:33:15

Guy botches position and snookers himself which fits the definition of poor play and he pulls out a jump cue and runs out. The only thing I can think of is the sponsor sells jump cues.

Tight pockets to reward the best players and jump cues to reward a lack of skill.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that his escape from his own trap was simply brilliant.
{His escape shot on the 2-ball was also brilliant.}
You seem to want to penalize brilliant play !?!
This does not sound like a solid plan looking forward.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, I can’t see the video.

It sounds like he made a great shot to set up his out. I love watching skilled jumpers. Sorry I missed that!

In my experience, those who hate jumping and/or jump cues, aren’t very good at using them. 😁

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't want to come across as overly critical of the people organizing the tournament because they are running a legit tournament with good money. Having said that the use a diamond table with tight pockets to punish poor play. The same time they do that they allow this.

Guy botches position and snookers himself which fits the definition of poor play and he pulls out a jump cue and runs out. The only thing I can think of is the sponsor sells jump cues.

Tight pockets to reward the best players and jump cues to reward a lack of skill.
Speaking as a "pro jumper" player, I agree that this type of situation doesn't do the game any favours.

Stu suggested that a jump cue should only be used on the first shot of the inning for a player. That would regulate it to only being used to escape an opponent's safe play, and not your own mistake.

I think the jumper adds an element to the game that's not only entertaining, but forces players to learn new skills and improve their moves game. I do not want to see it regulated out of the game entirely, but Stu's take on limiting it's use is hard to argue against.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
fans pack the sports stadiums. why? because it is not clear who will win the game so its exciting to watch.
pool games are set up biased so far for the better player that the weaker players rarely win so no reason to watch except to watch the play. but the excitement part is lost.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Semifinal match. 8-7

1:39:40

Crowd applauds after he snookered himself and went to the jump cue.

Are they allowing the jump cue at the U S Open?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Because it’s another tool on your Arsenal you practice and get good with. It’s no different then golfers having multiple wedges. It’s just the old pool players that destroy the modern game because they have no vision for the future because they are stuck in the past that hate it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During streams I hear players(mostly mid/lower speed for some odd reason) continually bitch about what what they perceive as 'buckets' being the root-cause of all that is bad about pro pool. Pure BULLSHIT. Tight tables do nothing but slow the game down(to a crawwwwwl in a poolroom) and make it a bunt/hide/jump fest. Watch the older Accu-Stats classics that Pat's been releasing. Bigger pockets, slower cloth led to a FAR more entertaining game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they tables were not that tight? think JJ said standard 4.5".

they tables were not that tight? think JJ said standard 4.5".
4.5 is ok. Tight but not stupid. A lot of people here on AZ grew up on GC's with 5" corners. They were in commercial/family places that made money on people having fun and coming back. 4.5" and tighter is for better players. I play in a room that made the mistake of tightening all their GC's. A lot of the ballbanger folks can't make a ball. Having the right size targets in a pool room is a balancing act.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5 is ok. Tight but not stupid. A lot of people here on AZ grew up on GC's with 5" corners. They were in commercial/family places that made money on people having fun and coming back. 4.5" and tighter is for better players. I play in a room that made the mistake of tightening all their GC's. A lot of the ballbanger folks can't make a ball. Having the right size targets in a pool room is a balancing act.
Recreational play (pool room) and professional play are different. IMO, pool rooms should have a mix of tables that are loose (for casual players) and tight (higher level players and tourneys). I think anything larger than 4.5" for professional players is too easy for them.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Because it’s another tool on your Arsenal you practice and get good with. It’s no different then golfers having multiple wedges. It’s just the old pool players that destroy the modern game because they have no vision for the future because they are stuck in the past that hate it.

I just decided last week to go back to using a jump cue. I was pretty good at it 30 years ago.

I'm getting killed now when my opponent knows how.

I can masse' better than most, but sometimes a jump is called for.

Spectators love it when the cb goes vertical...until they have to chase the ball across the floor.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Spectators love it when the cb goes vertical...until they have to chase the ball across the floor.
I'm envisioning the Mosconi Cup being played on rubber floors with the crowd being allowed to keep a CB that makes it to the stands, ala' baseball's home run. :LOL:

Imagine how funny it would be to see the USA fans throwing back Shaw's misfire attempt at a jump...lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as a "pro jumper" player, I agree that this type of situation doesn't do the game any favours.

Stu suggested that a jump cue should only be used on the first shot of the inning for a player. That would regulate it to only being used to escape an opponent's safe play, and not your own mistake.

I think the jumper adds an element to the game that's not only entertaining, but forces players to learn new skills and improve their moves game. I do not want to see it regulated out of the game entirely, but Stu's take on limiting it's use is hard to argue against.
In this tournament they had tight pockets and banned the early 10 ball. The focus is on super high level of skill to win the "world championship".

If you botch shape and snooker yourself you can pull out the gimmick cue and bail yourself out. It happened in the hot seat and semifinal matches.

It's the equivalent of the masters golf tournament allowing Mulligans.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Damn, I can’t see the video.

It sounds like he made a great shot to set up his out. I love watching skilled jumpers. Sorry I missed that!

In my experience, those who hate jumping and/or jump cues, aren’t very good at using them. 😁
Jump cues make up for the lack of ability to kick at balls effectively, what happened to those skills?