Carbon Fiber Shaft Poll

Which Carbon Fiber Shaft/Manufacture do you prefer? (Select 2 if your split)

• Total voters

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZB,

With SOOOOOO Many CF Shaft makers now, I wondered if players are sticking to the OG's or if there are contenders on the market that perhaps just haven't gotten the word out yet. I've read a lot of other posts. Just wanted to consolidate info into a recent thread.

If you don't see the CF shaft listed in the poll, please reply with your personal choice and give a short review of it.

Thank you!

Last edited:

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your poll is missing the Cue-Tech Cynergy, which in production numbers is either the #1 or #2 shaft out there.
Yeah, it limited me on Options and I wasn't aware it was going to do that, it was on my list. I'll try and bump another to get it added if it will allow me to edit Poll Options.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, it limited me on Options and I wasn't aware it was going to do that, it was on my list. I'll try and bump another to get it added if it will allow me to edit Poll Options.
It appears I may not be able to edit the options at this point.. sorry.

dquarasr

Registered
I find it hard to understand the "blind faith" march to CF cues I've witnessed in my local league. I've seen SL2-SL4 players show up with $400 CF cues, and none of them understand deflection.

An SL7 tried one of these new cues purchased by a lower level player. The CF cue had as much deflection as the new owner's maple cue. He demonstrated that using a full-length shot with maximum side spin, his CF own cue deflected about 1/8 of a ball. With the lower-level's cue, the CB completely missed the OB, deflecting more than a ball's width.

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying any of the shafts listed in this poll exhibit significant deflection. My only point, for the bar bangers among us, is to 1) first get good enough to understand and effectively use side spin, and how cues deflect and 2) once there and considering CF shafts, test them before buying them, or at least buy a brand proven to have low deflection (assuming LD is the goal of purchasing a CF shaft).

I know for sure that given how many balls I miss without side spin, I am not ready for a CF cue. I rarely use side spin, and when I do I try to account for deflection but given my SL (5 in 9, 4 in 8), I know I won't benefit from CF, yet.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your poll is missing the Evolution Fiber shaft by Ned Morris. I have 4 of them and they are wonderful.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec Cynergy is my choice after having had multiple Revo's. I feel like the Cynergy deflects a hair more, but provides so much more feel, feedback and control. With a REVO I have trouble with touch. The front-end is so hard, it's too reactive in my opinion. I've said this before on this forum, I feel like REVO's are for players that only want to force the ball. It's more of an amateur shaft to me. Often when I'm trying to recover or play out from a safety, or containing shot, I need to be able to shape the ball and create an angle. With the Cynergy I can do this, with the REVO, I end up fighting the shaft and elevating. The fact that finish on the Cynergy is world's better, it doesn't make that annoying tink sound, and I saved a hundred bucks on it over the REVO is icing on the cake for me. I love my Cynergy shaft!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have only tried a couple of times to test hit a CF Shaft, honestly as an advanced recreational player. See no reason to move off Maple, as my equipment has potential in hands of more SKILLED PLAYER.

jmho.🤩

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it hard to understand the "blind faith" march to CF cues I've witnessed in my local league. I've seen SL2-SL4 players show up with $400 CF cues, and none of them understand deflection.

An SL7 tried one of these new cues purchased by a lower level player. The CF cue had as much deflection as the new owner's maple cue. He demonstrated that using a full-length shot with maximum side spin, his CF own cue deflected about 1/8 of a ball. With the lower-level's cue, the CB completely missed the OB, deflecting more than a ball's width.

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying any of the shafts listed in this poll exhibit significant deflection. My only point, for the bar bangers among us, is to 1) first get good enough to understand and effectively use side spin, and how cues deflect and 2) once there and considering CF shafts, test them before buying them, or at least buy a brand proven to have low deflection (assuming LD is the goal of purchasing a CF shaft).

I know for sure that given how many balls I miss without side spin, I am not ready for a CF cue. I rarely use side spin, and when I do I try to account for deflection but given my SL (5 in 9, 4 in 8), I know I won't benefit from CF, yet.
Your 7 sounds like alot of players who say cf is a waste. He probably set up the shot he made with his maple without taking test shots with the other cue. Weight, length , balance and tip are variables in addition to cue composition.

I am a 5/5 in APA (one game as a 9ball 6 lost 17-3 to a very good 8). I have several cf shafts and cues. Becue was replaced by Cuetec SVB Gen 1 as it was better on barbox. Then tried Revo 22.4 on three Joss before finding Falcon that paired well enough to become new player. And, that was replaced by a Joerackem.com shaft on a Helmstetter 98-10. This last change was, I feel, due to the Kamui clear back tip.

In every case, I tested rather than taking one shot...or several. I will retest the Revo with several butts when the tip is replaced. Same testing will go on with the Meucci gen 1 now in the mail.

Also, the APA 3s will improve or not in the same way whether starting with maple or cf. Their improvement will depend on practice and coaching lime everyone else.

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried several with my existing butt at the time, and the one I ended up choosing was tied for second with Predator, and behind the Cuetec, in terms of feel and keeping predictably consistant, low deflection. I ended up chooosing and prefering the Becue for how, while it's a great standalone CF shaft, it transforms into something truly special when paired with their CF butt.

Every person in this poll will be right in their selection, which basically only goes to demonstrate that anyone looking for a CF shaft needs to try a variety to see which works for them.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Like nathan said, if they are serious about improving they will with whatever they play with. If they are serious about the game and plan to stick with it, having a good cue to start that they like is better than hopping around brands.

A low level player that doesnt understand deflection now can still benefit from learning the game with a low deflection cue they plan to keep. If they can afford it, starting with a nicer cue is useful.

I never understood this mentality of low level players shouldn't get nice equipment because they wont appreciate it as much as a high level player.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your 7 sounds like alot of players who say cf is a waste. He probably set up the shot he made with his maple without taking test shots with the other cue. Weight, length , balance and tip are variables in addition to cue composition.

I am a 5/5 in APA (one game as a 9ball 6 lost 17-3 to a very good 8). I have several cf shafts and cues. Becue was replaced by Cuetec SVB Gen 1 as it was better on barbox. Then tried Revo 22.4 on three Joss before finding Falcon that paired well enough to become new player. And, that was replaced by a Joerackem.com shaft on a Helmstetter 98-10. This last change was, I feel, due to the Kamui clear back tip.

In every case, I tested rather than taking one shot...or several. I will retest the Revo with several butts when the tip is replaced. Same testing will go on with the Meucci gen 1 now in the mail.

Also, the APA 3s will improve or not in the same way whether starting with maple or cf. Their improvement will depend on practice and coaching lime everyone else.

newer players will improve more quickly with a carbon fiber shaft due to less (smaller) adjustments needed when they start learning how to utilize spin. The energy transfer will also help them because they won't need to hit the ball as hard to get the same action. For someone who has been playing for years and years with a wood shaft and is a good player it might take awhile for them to adjust to a carbon fiber shaft.

I see nothing wrong with brand new players starting out with a carbon shaft if they don't mind spending the money. If they don't stick with pool they can always sell it and recoup a lot what they spent since CF shafts are in demand and seem to hold their value.

dquarasr

Registered
newer players will improve more quickly with a carbon fiber shaft due to less (smaller) adjustments needed when they start learning how to utilize spin. The energy transfer will also help them because they won't need to hit the ball as hard to get the same action. For someone who has been playing for years and years with a wood shaft and is a good player it might take awhile for them to adjust to a carbon fiber shaft.

I see nothing wrong with brand new players starting out with a carbon shaft if they don't mind spending the money. If they don't stick with pool they can always sell it and recoup a lot what they spent since CF shafts are in demand and seem to hold their value.
Ok, well, then, I stand corrected. I suppose there is some justification for a lower level player to buy a CF cue after all.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried several with my existing butt at the time, and the one I ended up choosing was tied for second with Predator, and behind the Cuetec, in terms of feel and keeping predictably consistant, low deflection. I ended up chooosing and prefering the Becue for how, while it's a great standalone CF shaft, it transforms into something truly special when paired with their CF butt.

Every person in this poll will be right in their selection, which basically only goes to demonstrate that anyone looking for a CF shaft needs to try a variety to see which works for them.

The Becue butt and Becue shaft, paired together, play better than any carbon shaft on any wood butt that I have tried.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Becue butt and Becue shaft, paired together, play better than any carbon shaft on any wood butt that I have tried.
I've always heard the butt doesn't play as much of a role in the "Hit" of a cue other then balance point, weight, grip diameter. Here is yet ANOTHER player stating it's significant for this cue as a whole! Great info, thank you for sharing!